looking for advice and guidance

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

ST - Littlehampton is the same distance from us if not closer than Chichester, only downside is that there is no estuary to explore or navigate, once you are out you are in the open sea and that can be rough most of the times. From the Chichester marinas there are a lot of channel links to explore and I think that the water can be a bit more peaceful here.

Totally agree. Chichester was my base for some time, it's lovely. And the trip to visit the fleshpots natural attractions of the Solent / IOW is an easy trip; some planning and care ref the Chichester entrance / bar which can be dangerous under certain conditions.

fred247

Visit site
Before deciding I'd suggest you go through some iterations of nice/need to have considerations. Talking to owners and viewing their boats is invaluably educating.
Overnight stays brings heating, running water (hot/cold), toilet, cooking facilities, power supply, canopy vs closed cabin and then some into play.
Bear in mind that features and facilities count only if they're truly usable - e. g. small rooms or berths accessible only when crawling backwards don't count.

When viewing a boat make sure you correctly assess the need for work - if you be believe it "just needs some elbow grease", ask yourself why the seller didn't do it already?

Budget: Make one budget for the investment, another for operation (annual maint., insurance, berth, running + upgrades, improvements etc.)

Speed: All boats are designed for a certain speed range - and speed links to fuel consumption. (Boat weight) x (speed desire) links directly to your bank account.

The hull types planing, semi displacement and displacement are worth understanding. Very different properties on the water.

My vote would be for a diesel & shaft combination, as previously proposed.
+ 1 for above.
two things I would add
1. the wider the beam to length ratio the more stable the boat will be
2. don't discount older well maintained boats they can offer far great opportunities than newer say modern sealines.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
One more question if I may...what made you go for the power boat and not the sail boat?
Easy answer for me.
My sealegs aren't brilliant so I don't like the roll you get on a yacht if there isn't enough wind. Also if I'm in a bay and it chops up I can quickly fire up and be on my way back to the marina.
Your sealegs are probably fine but consider maybe the people you are likely to take out who may not be quite so stoic and will soon loose interest in a rolling yacht.

QBhoy

Visit site
you'd do well to get a Sealine s25 for 40k or under, these days. A S23 would be more likely. The 30k mark is such a tough one these days. Not long ago, you would get lots of options for that..these days, there are bayliner petrol carb engined boats selling for that...a few years ago, they would be 10k or more cheaper.
I wouldn't discount a tidy MPi or GXi powered boat, depending on your use. My vote would be a Sealine S23 with a Kad32.