looking for advice and guidance

SailSnail

Visit site
Hello everyone, I am 40 and never had or sailed a boat but it s just something that I feel I would like to do, I live in Bognor so the Chichester and Birdham marinas are the closest to me.
I am considering a motor boat as the ropes and sails don`t appeal to me and I have a terrible fear of heights (in case I would need to go up that big mast).

Is there anyone who was in my situation and could give me some guidance regarding how should I start the process, some examples of smaller boats that I should look at, my budget is at about 40k.

It`s a long shot but I would very much appreciate is someone ware to have the time to show me their boats and be bombarded with 100 questions, I know that such people still exist and I would be so grateful.

Thank you all in advance for any info, advice and guidance.

Gabriel.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
You could do worse than start with an RYA Powerboat 2 course. It will give you a huge insight into boats and the instructors will be full of knowledge. Go to marinas, wander the pontoons, it is a lovely way to spend time; boat browsing. Talk to people. Most boat owners love it if you ask about their boats - a bit like dog owners. Go into brokers' offices whilst at the marinas and pick their brains too. There are loads of helpful forumites on here with tonnes of information but you can't beat seeing stuff in the flesh.
Good luck.

bowler

Visit site
So many small boats under 40k. Day boat or something to spend the weekend, or longer, onboard?

Small is a subjective term around here!

D

Bigplumbs

Visit site
This is such a huge subject but the one thing I will say is you have a very healthy budget even in todays made times for something up to say 25 foot long which as a guide would cost you about £3,500 a year in a decent Marina

SailSnail

Visit site
Hello all and thank you for your answers, I have sent e-mail to arrange the level 2 power boat course recommended by Farmer Piles, and also thank you for the advice I will do just that, I always go to marinas but never asked anyone about their boats, even though I was itching to do it, I have to start asking people and hope they won`t be offended.

Bowler, I am looking for something to be able to spend the night on and have a drink and cook some fish, so it has to have sleeping quarters, toilet and a kitchen of some sort, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Bigplumbs, thank you for your answer, that amount is do-able for me right now, wonder if this is the price in Chichester is similar to that...or Birdahm Marina... What would be the motorboat you would buy at 25 foot and with...lets say...30K? :D

As for money, if this is something I will like than it shouldn`t be a problem, I m not gonna live forever and not getting any younger.

Thank You all for your input and please feel free to educate me further :D

regards

Sneds

Visit site
Sealine S23 or 270 would probably suit.
IMHO worth paying a little extra for a Diesel engine as more frugal and the fuel is cheaper.
Try Boatshed and filter your results by length and price

Bigplumbs

Visit site
During the current mad times for between £25,000 - £40,000 you could get a Sealine S23, S24 or S25. I have an S24 which is the older of these three. All are 24 ft long and would do exactly what you want. Th Merry Fishers while different would also be good. The main issue at the moment is finding one

Sealine S24 Sports Cruiser For Sale - GBP 27,950 - Clipper Marine

Mind you that would have been £20,000 3 Years ago. But it is only Money

paul salliss

Visit site
You could do worse than start with an RYA Powerboat 2 course. It will give you a huge insight into boats and the instructors will be full of knowledge. Go to marinas, wander the pontoons, it is a lovely way to spend time; boat browsing. Talk to people. Most boat owners love it if you ask about their boats - a bit like dog owners. Go into brokers' offices whilst at the marinas and pick their brains too. There are loads of helpful forumites on here with tonnes of information but you can't beat seeing stuff in the flesh.
Good luck.
During the current mad times for between £25,000 - £40,000 you could get a Sealine S23, S24 or S25. I have an S24 which is the older of these three. All are 24 ft long and would do exactly what you want. Th Merry Fishers while different would also be good. The main issue at the moment is finding one

Sealine S24 Sports Cruiser For Sale - GBP 27,950 - Clipper Marine

Mind you that would have been £20,000 3 Years ago. But it is only Money
As someone else said do a
powerboat RYA 2 course it’s a good first step. Mendez Marine are very good not sure where you are in the UK but they will set you on the right path

SailSnail

Visit site
Hello, thanks for you answer, had a look at those and they really seem like all I am after, can I just ask some questions please:

- how much (roughly) would the maintenance of such a boat would be annually? yours for example
- is there a tier as to good brands and better ones, like cars have, the Mercedes and Vauxhall of boats?
- this Merry Fisher looks really nice, would you say an outboard motor is more versatile than a incorporated one?
- do Marinas charge solely on the base of the size of the boat or position within the Marina as well?

Needles to say how grateful I am for all this info...I`m sponging it :D

Thank You

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
- is there a tier as to good brands and better ones, like cars have, the Mercedes and Vauxhall of boats?
Everyone will think their brand is the best so be careful with the answers here.

However I would support the Sealine S23, S24, S25 route. Just to confuse also there is a S230 which I had for 8 years. (and even S240)
Made in exactly the same way in the same factory (then in Kidderminster) as much larger up market vessels.
In fact the hours involved in producing the smaller models in this way is no longer viable.
Mine was a petrol which I found was smoother and quieter than the diesel and unless you are doing a lot of miles makes little difference financially compared with all the other costs involved. Do check that the marina you intend to keep it in has petrol. Jerry cans are a no no.

The boats mentioned are just about tow-able with a decent motor. Its amazing how the boat shrinks when you take it off the trailer onto the water.

I'll take a punt at maintenance cost which includes upgrades and small problems ....say budget £3000 per year. No upgrades and DIY a lot less...await others reply.
Best of luck

Last edited:

Sianna

Visit site
Shame you're not a bit closer to the New Forest, as you could have had a look at what we bought, I'd happily talk you through our reasoning, buying and first year of boating as our budget and boating background was similar to yours.
As others have said, everyone will recommend their boats also worth having a look at Nic Burnhams Aquaholics channel for costs and tips.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOrUltkUqy_NUp9VxavCTFeWPLQbo34Z2

cbf33d6b-6184-4d5c-8636-38eeeabea3a2.jpg

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Shame you're not a bit closer to the New Forest, as you could have had a look at what we bought, I'd happily talk you through our reasoning, buying and first year of boating as our budget and boating background was similar to yours.
As others have said, everyone will recommend their boats also worth having a look at Nic Burnhams Aquaholics channel for costs and tips.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOrUltkUqy_NUp9VxavCTFeWPLQbo34Z2

View attachment 129638
That looks really nice, what is it?

ST840

Visit site
If you're not a speed demon then something like this (this one is not for sale anymore, but I mean more the set up) might be a good choice for a first boat.

Ocqueteau 715 For Sale, 7.34m, 2004

Single diesel on a shaft drive. Will be good on fuel and easy to maintain with relative little expense.
And, have you considered Littlehampton as a base?

Gavin E

Visit site
For the purchase of a first boat I would recommend making the process something of a hobby in itself - take your time, visit the marinas and look at all sorts of boats so you get a feel for what is out there, and then try to work out what style and size will suit the way you think you want to use a boat. Visit the sales offices and get on board the various boats you see, even boats you don’t actually like, because many will have features on the inside that you didn’t know you wanted until you noticed them…

Thats the process we went through. Of course, we also ended up buying the exact opposite of what we thought we were after when we first started looking - but we made the right choice for us.

It might be worth listening to the Boatbuyers Secret Weapon podcast. It’s American, so not all of it is applicable over here, but the chap does have some useful advice about the mindset to get into when buying a boat and mistakes to avoid.

Welcome to the rather addictive world of boating

SailSnail

Visit site
Hello Flip,

Such nice words from you, thank you so much, it`s also encouraging for me to carry on following in this endeavour knowing that people in my position found the perfect boat match . Your boat is a beauty and after watching the videos from Nic B. with his extensive knowledge and advice and all the images..it seems that this is the best option for me. Can I just ask, hope this is ok, how much you paid for yours and when was it bought?

Gavin thank you, I am following your exact advice and try to research more about the boats we could have...and make the learning process a hobby, we go out to marinas and take pictures of boats and then come home and google them :).

ST - Littlehampton is the same distance from us if not closer than Chichester, only downside is that there is no estuary to explore or navigate, once you are out you are in the open sea and that can be rough most of the times. From the Chichester marinas there are a lot of channel links to explore and I think that the water can be a bit more peaceful here.

David thank you, so the less electronics the better, noted.

Any other advice or pointers are always very welcome, I know I must absorb what others have learned and don`t make a mistake with my first purchase.

One more question if I may...what made you go for the power boat and not the sail boat?

Finally I have some bad news...I am not the winner of the 109 m last Euro Millions jackpot and can`t take all of you on a cruise on the superyacht I would have bought from Mr. Putin.

Thank You All

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Before deciding I'd suggest you go through some iterations of nice/need to have considerations. Talking to owners and viewing their boats is invaluably educating.
Overnight stays brings heating, running water (hot/cold), toilet, cooking facilities, power supply, canopy vs closed cabin and then some into play.
Bear in mind that features and facilities count only if they're truly usable - e. g. small rooms or berths accessible only when crawling backwards don't count.

When viewing a boat make sure you correctly assess the need for work - if you be believe it "just needs some elbow grease", ask yourself why the seller didn't do it already?

Budget: Make one budget for the investment, another for operation (annual maint., insurance, berth, running + upgrades, improvements etc.)

Speed: All boats are designed for a certain speed range - and speed links to fuel consumption. (Boat weight) x (speed desire) links directly to your bank account.

The hull types planing, semi displacement and displacement are worth understanding. Very different properties on the water.

My vote would be for a diesel & shaft combination, as previously proposed.

Last edited: