long time sailor, novice liveaboard

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Would anyone be kind enough to answer some questions, please?

I have a boat and have decided to move out of my house. Boat seems better option than living on land.

Boat is 22foot (small, but enough) long keel so I do not wish to take the ground often.

I can live in very rough environments, so a boat with a head, shelter, moveabilty, comms, electricity, heater (to be installed (chinese)) is luxury.

I can fix just about anything.

Good sail boat, 5 hp outboard on transom aft or rudder, so difficult under power. 3 anchors, lots of chain and lots of rode.

Low low budget.

Looking to anchor most of time. (Or can I simply drift about in Atlantic? I have AIS receiver. Radar detector (but not transmitter) very good nav lights) 3 forms of self steering. stuff to throw overboard to act as drogue. Boat should take it. Maybe I could.

Would love West Country, but not sure how many anchorages are free. I draw about 3 feet and a bit. Anywhere better in UK to set up base? Currently based East Coast East Anglia / thames esturay; no greatest place for a long keeler.

Money will be tight as I intend to leave my income to my wife. (I will simply use cards or cash for food and other sundries)

Main questions are I suppose:
1) how does one get supplies? (If anchored, inflate avon and row (so don't have to secure or carry mariner ob) ashore hoping main boat with all one's belongings remains secure and use a local shop for as much food as a Vulcan Berghaus bergen will carry (about 100 litre capacity) and find a tap for filling containers with water?

2) Where to stay - cheaply.

Need to combine the two points I think.

Possible in UK?

Or Canaries? But I think I could only stay there for 6 weeks or is it 6 months?

Experienced sailor and can handle any hardships and not afraid to go down with the ship either.

Desperate situation, requires moving out to give wife peace, and I am prepared to take any hardship but don't want to take resources away from her (money). If I foundered I hope my life insurance policy would pay out. I am not afraid of foundering either.

If your advice would be to go into a hospital, forget it. Not interested in myself or 'getting better'.

I think I miss the hard life and adventure, so hopefully my plan would also be my cure.

Just asking for any pointers on living aboard longtime and gaining supplies and were to stay.

Thanks if you have any advice.

nortada

Visit site

I have a boat and have decided to move out of my house. Boat seems better option than living on land.

Boat is 22foot (small, but enough) long keel so I do not wish to take the ground often.

I can live in very rough environments, so a boat with a head, shelter, moveabilty, comms, electricity, heater (to be installed (chinese)) is luxury.

Good sail boat, 5 hp outboard on transom aft or rudder, so difficult under power. 3 anchors, lots of chain and lots of rode.

Low low budget.

Looking to anchor most of time. (Or can I simply drift about in Atlantic? I have AIS receiver. Radar detector (but not transmitter) very good nav lights) 3 forms of self steering. stuff to throw overboard to act as drogue. Boat should take it. Maybe I could.

Would love West Country, but not sure how many anchorages are free. I draw about 3 feet and a bit. Anywhere better in UK to set up base? Currently based East Coast East Anglia / thames esturay; no greatest place for a long keeler.

Money will be tight as I intend to leave my income to my wife. (I will simply use cards or cash for food and other sundries)

1) how does one get supplies? (If anchored, inflate avon and row (so don't have to secure or carry mariner ob) ashore hoping main boat with all one's belongings remains secure and use a local shop for as much food as a Vulcan Berghaus bergen will carry (about 100 litre capacity) and find a tap for filling containers with water?

Possible in UK?

Experienced sailor and can handle any hardships and not afraid to go down with the ship either.

Desperate situation, requires moving out to give wife peace, and I am prepared to take any hardship but don't want to take resources away from her (money). If I foundered I hope my life insurance policy would pay out. I am not afraid of foundering either.

If your advice would be to go into a hospital, forget it. Not interested in myself or 'getting better'.

I think I miss the hard life and adventure, so hopefully my plan would also be my cure.

Just asking for any pointers on living aboard longtime and gaining supplies and were to stay.

Where are you now?

Stingo

Visit site

Low low budget.

Possible in UK?

Following your heart is something I doubt you'll ever regret. Just go for it and adjust your plan along the way as and how it may suit you.

V1701

Visit site
If you don't have to work my suggestion would be to get yourself and your boat in to the EU before the end of this year. If you get residency somewhere you avoid being subject to Schengen visa 90 days in 180 rule post Brexit transition period. What you are proposing is much more doable somewhere with a better winter climate than the UK. Good luck, it sounds like you could do with a bit and do come back with more questions, this Liveaboard Link forum is smaller and friendlier than some of the others can be...(y)

Trident

Visit site
The UK would be almost impossible for what you want. Hardship is one thing and a death wish another but cold, wet, stormy and the rest of it over the winter months in a 22 foot is a recipe for suicide.

Were it me I'd head to the Spannish Rias and see if I could get a residence permit. Nicely protected, better climate, cheaper living, very beautiful and a warmth from the locals that can soothe the soul

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Thank you for advice.

Currently located Thames Estuary; too many muddy swatchways.

Berthing on a marsh however could be a possibility (walk to shops), but as last poster mentioned, the Winter could be a brain numb exercise.

Will look at possibilities mentioned.

Perhaps try West Country (after looking to see if it costs to anchor) until Autumn and if I like it then perhaps I could buy a bigger boat (cheap at moment) (more space to make and do things) and head South and become a sea gypsy with enough cash in a pot to fly home if anyone needed me.

I thought I read that marinas in the Canary Islands were very cheap. Is that right? Or about to change?

Visit site

Low low budget.

Possible in UK?

You could do worse than the Algarve. Look up Ria Formosa which is a very pleasant lagoon with live aboards, especially Easter to November also the river Guadiana
Get down this year and obtain residencia and then think about farther afield if you wish.
Jolly good luck and happiness.

PlanB

Visit site
If you're thinking of heading south, be aware that most insurers want you clear of Biscay by end September.

RupertW

Visit site
I’m in the Canaries now at anchor but there are far fewer anchorages in the Canaries than Eastern Med. in your position I would sell your boat and buy one of the many neglected boats in Croatia or Greece and use your practical skills. An old untidy boat under 30 feet is almost giveaway there. Cheaper food and much better climate for living aboard.

nortada

Visit site
I’m in the Canaries now at anchor but there are far fewer anchorages in the Canaries than Eastern Med. in your position I would sell your boat and buy one of the many neglected boats in Croatia or Greece and use your practical skills. An old untidy boat under 30 feet is almost giveaway there. Cheaper food and much better climate for living aboard.

Only problem, selling a boat, for a reasonable price, in the present financial climate is not easy.

RupertW

Visit site
Only problem, selling a boat, for a reasonable price, in the present financial climate is not easy.
To be honest a 22 foot old boat is not worth much anyway but the cost of sailing it down to Canaries or Med would be much more than it’s worth. I just can’t see living on board in the UK at anchor all year.

jdc

Visit site
I have to admit I've a much bigger and thus more comfortable boat, but I wouldn't say 'impossible', and although at present you need a plan for ever actually circumstances do change so it could be worth trying it for a year and see what happens. The west country does rain but is rarely freezing and even a 22' boat is a whole heap better than a tent!

I suggest a mooring may be better than anchoring. Costs may not be that different but the security and reduction in horizontal range will be worth-while, and it means you can sail off it to go shopping etc and come back to the same slot without having to reset the anchor. Costs for your own mooring are surprisingly reasonable, even in the Fowey it's < £180 p.a. for the right to lay your own one, so can you find a space / will you be granted a space is the real issue. I suggest contacting the local boatyards and Fowey harbour commissioners to ask, as well as Truro (whose authority is all the way down stream past Malpas). There is a waiting list, but less so for smaller boats I believe.

You would not be the only one on either river living aboard through the winter, but what you want to ask isn't about that but should be "can I obtain a mooring suitable for my boat, and where would it be and how much would it cost?" Given a choice I'd go to the Fowey opposite Golant or even a bit upstream (safe landing, good pub, easy walk into Fowey for more comprehensive stores).

Supposing you get the right to a mooring slot then being practical will help! I feel sure you would find people with old and heavy anchors available for the asking (I've three in my shed I've not used for years...).

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Thank you all once again.

Cold and wet I am more comfortable with than sun to be honest. Staying in UK would be good in case I needed to travel home to help with anything.

I would never have guessed Fowey could be so cheap; I thought you were going to write £189 per month.

I have stored two massive mooring anchors and overly large chain (even for a 35 footer), swivels, shackles and buoy, so all ground tackle is ready to deploy.

Would be able to live, do odd jobs and even sail off mooring into deep water for fun with no sandbanks to worry about and return to mooring all year round. Cheaply too.

Absolutely correct about boat being worthless for resale. Did not know boats were cheap in Greece. Would rather deep Atlantic than Biscay.

Terrific info. Plans to be assessed and decided upon...

Thank you.

Visit site
Thank you all once again.

Cold and wet I am more comfortable with than sun to be honest. Staying in UK would be good in case I needed to travel home to help with anything.

I would never have guessed Fowey could be so cheap; I thought you were going to write £189 per month.

I have stored two massive mooring anchors and overly large chain (even for a 35 footer), swivels, shackles and buoy, so all ground tackle is ready to deploy.

Would be able to live, do odd jobs and even sail off mooring into deep water for fun with no sandbanks to worry about and return to mooring all year round. Cheaply too.

Absolutely correct about boat being worthless for resale. Did not know boats were cheap in Greece. Would rather deep Atlantic than Biscay.

Terrific info. Plans to be assessed and decided upon...

Thank you.
Good luck.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Asked about moorings in Fowey and was sent this:

"Unfortunately living on board your boat is not permitted in Fowey or Gollant.

You may wish to try Truro, I think they allow living on board."

Very polite but obviously not wanted there. Looked like a good place to start a new life. Not sure how it is policed, but pretty sure it would be.

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Asked about moorings in Fowey and was sent this:

"Unfortunately living on board your boat is not permitted in Fowey or Gollant.

You may wish to try Truro, I think they allow living on board."

Very polite but obviously not wanted there. Looked like a good place to start a new life. Not sure how it is policed, but pretty sure it would be.
Come down to Sunny corner in Truro, some space there, same money and nobody will blink an eye with you living on your boat

Last edited:

jdc

Visit site
I did advise not to mention living aboard when enquiring about a mooring on the Fowey! There are those who do, but just keep their heads down.