Lofrans Kobra windlass

Shuggy

Visit site
My 12 volt Lofrans Kobra (approx 1998 vintage) died on me this summer during our cruise and in the interests of family harmony I fitted a new one in week 2. I took the old one home and discovered the following:

> Seawater had corroded the motor case
> The oil seal had failed, partially filling the motor with gearbox oil
> Two of the brushes were worn out

I have done the following:

> Removed the motor
> Removed all corrosion from the motor case with a welding hammer and wire brush.
> Dismantled the motor completely (commutator, shaft, stator magnets) and cleaned everything with contact cleaner
> Had 4 high copper brushes manufactured to the Lofrans spec by Nova in East Kilbride (£109)
> Painted the motor case with Hammerite and will probably finish with black spray paint as additional protection
> Test run the motor

I have just ordered a new oil seal between the windlass body and motor and will fit it next week. Once done I will refit the motor to the windlass and put grease between the motor case and the windlass body for simpler future removal. I'll also fill it with EP90 oil.

It has a 10mm ISO gypsy, which I fitted in 2010 to replace the 8mm one I inherited it with. It will come complete with a handle and the contactor box. There are no controls - you would need to supply your own remote or foot switches.

My new one cost me £1,120 from Ardfern and I think a new replacement motor is about £300-400, so I'm looking for the forum limit of £400 for the refurbished complete unit. Otherwise I'll just keep the motor as a spare given what I've spent on it.

If there are any takers I can send photos of the windlass, its accessories and the receipt for the brushes and seal. I'll also post pics on here next week but thought I would gauge interest first.

I'm in Crieff Perthshire; boat is in Ardfern - so can arrange pick-up or drop off near either of those places or in the Scottish Central Belt generally. As it's heavy and full of oil it's not something I want to courier although if you're desperate I can pack it into a crate and send it at your additional cost to anywhere in the UK.

If you want to pick it up from Crieff I can demonstrate it working.

Is anyone interested?

Cheers,
Hugh

ETA: Here it is just before I removed it. I'm a bit embarrassed at the state of my deck but I was prioritising cruising over maintenance this year! And we'd been anchoring every day.

IMG_2261.jpeg

Last edited:

dulls

N/A
Visit site
My 12 volt Lofrans Kobra (approx 1998 vintage) died on me this summer during our cruise and in the interests of family harmony I fitted a new one in week 2. I took the old one home and discovered the following:

> Seawater had corroded the motor case
> The oil seal had failed, partially filling the motor with gearbox oil
> Two of the brushes were worn out

I have done the following:

> Removed the motor
> Removed all corrosion from the motor case with a welding hammer and wire brush.
> Dismantled the motor completely (commutator, shaft, stator magnets) and cleaned everything with contact cleaner
> Had 4 high copper brushes manufactured to the Lofrans spec by Nova in East Kilbride (£109)
> Painted the motor case with Hammerite and will probably finish with black spray paint as additional protection
> Test run the motor

I have just ordered a new oil seal between the windlass body and motor and will fit it next week. Once done I will refit the motor to the windlass and put grease between the motor case and the windlass body for simpler future removal. I'll also fill it with EP90 oil.

It has a 10mm ISO gypsy, which I fitted in 2010 to replace the 8mm one I inherited it with. It will come complete with a handle and the contactor box. There are no controls - you would need to supply your own remote or foot switches.

My new one cost me £1,120 from Ardfern and I think a new replacement motor is about £300-400, so I'm looking for the forum limit of £400 for the refurbished complete unit. Otherwise I'll just keep the motor as a spare given what I've spent on it.

If there are any takers I can send photos of the windlass, its accessories and the receipt for the brushes and seal. I'll also post pics on here next week but thought I would gauge interest first.

I'm in Crieff Perthshire; boat is in Ardfern - so can arrange pick-up or drop off near either of those places or in the Scottish Central Belt generally. As it's heavy and full of oil it's not something I want to courier although if you're desperate I can pack it into a crate and send it at your additional cost to anywhere in the UK.

If you want to pick it up from Crieff I can demonstrate it working.

Is anyone interested?

Cheers,
Hugh
I renovated my old windlass and it came up like new and worked twice as fast as it used to...The green 2 pack you see is called carboline and is magic on steel as it dries like a plastic covering excluding air (Steel boat)That went on the winch and new seals oil and brushes. A renovated winch is just as good as a new one.

Attachments

• DSCF3399_1600x900.JPG
    DSCF3399_1600x900.JPG
    384.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF3391_1600x900.JPG
    DSCF3391_1600x900.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF3499_1600x900.JPG
    DSCF3499_1600x900.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 47