Lockdown boat use

Greg2

Visit site
The trouble is that the current situation breeds strong feelings and judgements about what others are doing. The Govt haven’t helped with inconsistency - lots of perfectly safe activities prevented but going to a DIY stores okay, and of course they caved in to the Angling Trust and allowed fishing. Chuck in media coverage that has created the impression that there is significant non-compliance and people are anxious about what others are doing in what is a very serious situation.

Interestingly, whilst I think there is an issue with too many having to go to work when they could work from home studies by ONS and a psychology unit that informs Govt indicate that compliance with the rules and guidance is actually quite good.

Back to boating - if people can go to their local boats and have no contact with others then risks are low and whilst criticism is perhaps understandable it isn’t necessarily valid IMHO. If it is safe then the seriousness of the pandemic doesn’t alone doesn’t make it unsafe.....if that makes sense ?

Last edited:

Assassin

Visit site
By far the largest problem are the police, they dont understand the rules and have been caught out numerous times making them up as they go along.

What was it Tuesday? 9 police on duty eating in a cafe which is supposedly take away only, and caught on camera, then back out again issuing tickets.

steveeasy

Visit site
This is what I mean, it is a bit of a mess with regards to the rules about boating mainly due to what people think... should or should not be allowed. I know I can visit my marina Haslar which is still open whilst keeping local. I can go out on my boat which is considered exercise even on a powerboat.
Hi Frederick,
It is a mess. Are there any restrictions at Haslar, is life normal. Big question, Are they claiming a payment for being closed ?. It smacks people in the face when so many people are dieing and other people cant go for a walk in groups of two, some cant walk their dog more than once a day and Haslar and others carry on like normal.
Now if anyone does need assistance its a real strain on the emergency services not like in the first lockdown, If you were one of the NHS staff that have to continue working in what must be very difficult times, youd be shocked if down at marinas everything carried on as usual. We are at war, not for years but a few weeks. was it too much to do the right thing and stay home.
Steveeasy

jrudge

Visit site
There was a heated thread on here last time.

Then it was illegal and I was hence against it.

Now it seems it is legal ( which is odd given golf is not ) so who are we the judge? We don’t make the rules it is our role to follow them - which as far as I know I do almost to the letter. Sadly I don’t have a boat in the uk so it benefits me not.

Staying overnight on the boat is illegal as far as I know as staying away from home is not allowed other than in set circumstances.

The challenge this time is there are so many reasons you can be out they can huff and puff that they are enforcing but if you say you are going out for food etc then I would be surprised if many get penalised. Parties they will clamp down on.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi Frederick,
It is a mess. Are there any restrictions at Haslar, is life normal. Big question, Are they claiming a payment for being closed ?. It smacks people in the face when so many people are dieing and other people cant go for a walk in groups of two, some cant walk their dog more than once a day and Haslar and others carry on like normal.
Now if anyone does need assistance its a real strain on the emergency services not like in the first lockdown, If you were one of the NHS staff that have to continue working in what must be very difficult times, youd be shocked if down at marinas everything carried on as usual. We are at war, not for years but a few weeks. was it too much to do the right thing and stay home.
Steveeasy
Hi Frederick,
Just to clarify, Not personal at all in any way. my post was not intended to direct to yourself. just my opinion why its wrong. Hope everyone stays well.
Steveeasy

Greg2

Visit site
By far the largest problem are the police, they dont understand the rules and have been caught out numerous times making them up as they go along.

What was it Tuesday? 9 police on duty eating in a cafe which is supposedly take away only, and caught on camera, then back out again issuing tickets.

By far the largest problem? Really?!

Of course they aren’t perfect but the media actively search for examples such as the one you quote because it makes good headlines. In reality it is a very long way from being representative and I doubt that the full picture was presented given the poor quality of reporting that seems to blight all sections of the media.

An alternative narrative is that they have a very, very difficult job to do in normal times but in the context of a pandemic with rules that are handed down to them to enforce alongside everything else that they have to do perhaps they are doing a pretty good job. Their policy is to Engage, Explain, Encourage and Enforce as a last resort, which strikes me as a fairly sensible approach in a liberal democracy where policing is by consent. But of course the majority of interactions that are good, with sensible outcomes don’t get a slot in the local rag or get shared on social media.....or on the mobo forum ?

Last edited:

[2068]

Visit site
Why not ?. One rule for one, and one for another, that's why. Food is essential and yes you are probably at a much greater risk of catching it going to the shop, But its not just about you is it ?. The trouble is we just don't get it, do we. I understand in your situation it may be completely safe and little chance you will ever be in contact with someone else, but you are very much a minority. I also am now quite annoyed that while my business is closed and has been quite a bit lately, quite a few marinas are carrying on like normal oblivious to what is going on.

Steveeasy

So this the ”You should be setting a good example, particularly as my business got closed down” point of view.
“It has zero impact on the actual spread of the virus, but we’re all in it together, so you should not go boating for reasons of national unity”.

On the other hand, people could look beyond the rules and modify what they do to actually prevent the spread of the virus.
e.g. internet shopping for yourself and others who might not be internet savvy. Mrs FP has really got the hang of this now.

Where I am coming from is that I really want to know where these 30k+ new cases per day are coming from.
Is it people that followed the rules, but some permitted activity is causing infections, or is it people breaking the rules?

Better data helps everyone make better decisions.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
what's everyone going to do at the end of March when boats are relaunched and they need moving ... is that essential travel?
Spoke to my boatyard the other day and they think that it will be like last year with very few boats ready to launch before Easter. I was hoping to launch just before Easter and I don't think that I will do that now unless I leave the heads hoses alone for another year. I suspect that I could do the work afloat, as it theory I'm not working on the sea-cocks but I don't want to tempt fate !

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Where I am coming from is that I really want to know where these 30k+ new cases per day are coming from.
Is it people that followed the rules, but some permitted activity is causing infections, or is it people breaking the rules?
Agree
I’d like to hear a lot more anecdotal stories of how people actually caught it. I‘m sure this info is collected when covid casualties enter hospital but I’m only guessing that it’s 18 to 30 year olds mixing and bringing it home to Gran.
I really don’t know.

Never Grumble

Visit site
Spoke to my boatyard the other day and they think that it will be like last year with very few boats ready to launch before Easter. I was hoping to launch just before Easter and I don't think that I will do that now unless I leave the heads hoses alone for another year. I suspect that I could do the work afloat, as it theory I'm not working on the sea-cocks but I don't want to tempt fate !
Mines already back in the water but I need to move it before the end of March ... it's essential travel to me.

Caraway

Visit site
So this the ”You should be setting a good example, particularly as my business got closed down” point of view.
“It has zero impact on the actual spread of the virus, but we’re all in it together, so you should not go boating for reasons of national unity”.

On the other hand, people could look beyond the rules and modify what they do to actually prevent the spread of the virus.
e.g. internet shopping for yourself and others who might not be internet savvy. Mrs FP has really got the hang of this now.

None of these are your decision. Your knowing where the cases come from makes no difference. You do not need to "look beyond the rules" Just obey them.

If everyone who imagines they know better does what they like and infections continue to rise ... where does that put us? We have a situation that is uncontrollable.
It IS a societal problem and we DO need to work together, by obeying the rules. whether you agree with them or not.

Seastoke

Visit site
None of these are your decision. Your knowing where the cases come from makes no difference. You do not need to "look beyond the rules" Just obey them.

If everyone who imagines they know better does what they like and infections continue to rise ... where does that put us? We have a situation that is uncontrollable.
It IS a societal problem and we DO need to work together, by obeying the rules. whether you agree with them or not.
You are speaking out of turn , this should be in the covid forum and you as a mod should know better .

steveeasy

Visit site
No not particularly

No not particularly as my business got closed down at all. I don't mind the lockdown or the fact leisure businesses' are closed, it makes perfect sense, I am not one to argue the obvious, it really does not matter as long as your warm, not hungry and alive. its only a few months. youd think marinas where leisure businesses, even some of the owners do, hence why some are closed.(common sense prevails) better than the virus becoming even more of a national disaster. I mind some people carrying on like nothing has happened and potentially passing on the virus to others yes that can easily lead to death. How do you know it, whatever that might be, has zero impact on the virus. Wake up and opens ones eyes.

Luckily the 30k new cases per day are that, less than what it would have been if everyone had carried on like nothing had happened. those 30, 000 cases per day are not all individuals who have acted recklessly, some or most of them have been given the death bug by selfish individuals who don't self isolate or carry on convincing themselves what they can do is perfectly ok. thousands of people will have died just because someone could not be bothered to consider what they are doing and how it might impact someone else. By the way what is so wrong with some kind of national unity or are some above that. All a bit harsh but that's how it is in my eyes.

Steveeasy