Lock down and old ropes

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We been on lock down for 15 days now and the last three days the weather turned for the worst , so what does one do to keep them busy.
Well my co skipper and partner can always find some thing .
The only problem it seen to involve me .
Lastest project was for me to did out old ropes , help her untangle them ,
She then uses them to make a mat for the cabin sole .
Here the start of what's going to Be a three meter mat .

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 95

cherod

Visit site
fitted new plastimo 150 l flexi tank and sorted out the pressure pump ,, was about to set about the one in the other hull when was told the marina was closing ...

gregcope

Visit site
We been on lock down for 15 days now and the last three days the weather turned for the worst , so what does one do to keep them busy.

Brilliant idea for old ropes.

Is there a guide anywhere?

NOHOH

Visit site
Vic, you are so lucky to have someone willing to do that kind of thing. Don`t knock it. There used to be a whole gang of women doing crafty stuff in MdR.....called `The Happy Hookers`......I don`t suppose they are even allowed to talk to each other these days.
If it all bothers you so much....why don`t you just go sailing?
Sailonline.org - Online Sailing

LONG_KEELER

Visit site

You are both doing very well by the sound of it.

Keep up the good work of making the best of it.

Having some fun too..........

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic, you are so lucky to have someone willing to do that kind of thing. Don`t knock it. There used to be a whole gang of women doing crafty stuff in MdR.....called `The Happy Hookers`......I don`t suppose they are even allowed to talk to each other these days.
If it all bothers you so much....why don`t you just go sailing?
Sailonline.org - Online Sailing
Not knocking it really , I am lucky she does all our canvas work and not just ours one year she spend all winter doing repairs on canvas and sail for others too , the boat looked like sail loft :) .
Even our nets along the deck where made by her as the once we brough only lasted a season,
Oh yes and I remember the Happy hookers with there needles sitting by the bar last time we was in MDR ,
Lovely bunch of ladies .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You are both doing very well by the sound of it.

Keep up the good work of making the best of it.

Having some fun too..........
We doing fine considering the circumstances, we not long term marina stayers normal three to four months over the winter so having to stay longer and being lock down at the same time is very tiring and does get you down now and then,
But so far unlike a few others here we manage not to let it come between us ,
maybe living the last 10 years full time mostly on anchor has in some way help with dealing with this lock down although being on anchor and knowing you can move at any time or go for a long walk even catch a bus it nothing like being shut in a boat not knowing when you going to Be able to move again.
God help any liveaboard if we catch this virus while on board, especially in a country that's not our own.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
47C2DC3E-333B-4344-9B03-3DF9AE686CF9.jpeg47C2DC3E-333B-4344-9B03-3DF9AE686CF9.jpeg
Done a few of these mats now, but they use a lots of rope (think there’s about 25m of 12mm rope in this one). Fairly easy to do and they’re hard wearing. I’ve got one I made of some old abseil rope that‘s very hard to the touch: I use it underneath the plank between it and the boat, stops creaking noises and shows no sign of wear.
Not sure why two pictures have appeared .....

Kelpie

Visit site
Also not sure why you're using such lovely looking rope for your (an admittedly also lovely) mat. Maybe it's more knackered than the photo suggests.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
It was an old mainsheet that had been turned round so both ends were knackered, although the middle bit was fine. Don’t like using old none stretchy rope for mooring lines and I’ve got more than enough old ropes A8873DD0-2649-4CC3-8D21-320BA83332AC.jpeglurking in the locker, so it got turned into a mat when we got stuck in Monemvasia for two weeks waiting for a weather window to get back round into the Ionian.
This one was made with the offcuts from new reefing lines, the joins were stitched to stop the whole thing unravelling. Get dirty very quickly though...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
she using an crochet Patton if that any help , I guess you could probably use any Patton .
you need a long thick crochet needle .
The mat is now two meters long by half a meter wide just about right to go down one side of the cabin sole she had to stop anyway because it was getting too heavy to work with .
She said if you wanted it longer you could make two then join them together.
It's really warn under your feet,
Plus it's a good way to give new life to an old rope.
Next job is another mat just under the companion way steps .
By the way , you could also use braided rope , using the inner core ,
We have a smaller mat made from that .
The outer part can be used as table mat once cleaned .

Halo

Visit site
Sorry to sound negative but why do you want these mats ? They are hardly wider than your foot and look like a slip / trip harzard to me. Why not macrame a toilet roll holder instead ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sorry to sound negative but why do you want these mats ? They are hardly wider than your foot and look like a slip / trip harzard to me. Why not macrame a toilet roll holder instead ?
I can only talk for the once my co skipper / partner made and its 2 metre by half metre and cover one side of the cabin floor , living on board over winter floor can be rather cold so the mat goes a long way to keeping us warm , of cause they not left on the floor once we on the go again it will be put away with the heater, dehumidifier, electric kettle and any thing that make life comfortable for us over the winter months .

Other threads that may be of interest