Liveaboard UK passport holder with Italian wife - Schengen 90/180 rule

syvictoria

Visit site
I wish it did say that since it would solve our problem but it does not say that. It clearly says that the non EU citizen is limited to 3 months in the EU.

I have to disagree about 'clearly', and I truly hope that Graham's reply from the UK embassy in Lisbon finally brings some absolute clarity to this debate. I have (since 2016!) read extensively and no-where can I find it stated that the EU citizen's right to have his/her core family member's travel with him/her is curtailed by the Schengen rule. This EU right, I believe, over rides the Schengen rule. If it didn't, surely this would be stated in para. 3 on the linked page, "Your non-EU family members must carry a valid passport at all times and, depending on the country they are from, they may also have to show an entry visa at the border." If the Schengen rule still had to be obeyed, I would have expected this to have been stated clearly here.

FoM is one of the key benefits and beliefs afforded to EU citizen's and by extension, to their core family members. Residency rules are still at play, and hence the need to move on every 30 days as previously discussed, but I don't believe that Schengen rules are relevant here.

syvictoria

Visit site
This may be of interest:

Thorn Tree - Rights of Non-EU spouse of EU citizen

It's a long thread with many of the same arguments and reasoning oft cited here raised, but it's post #34 that's of most interest (pre Brexit re UK references):

"Hi, we finished our camper van travel last October (April 2015 - Oct 2017) and wanted to provide an update. If you recall, I am a American passport holder and my husband holds both UK and US passports. In summary, I had no issues with staying over 90 days in Schengen area. Crossing borders by our van, not one border officials asked me how long we stayed. Only when flying out of Germany a couple of times, I was asked. I simply responded, "yes, I stayed over 90 says but I am married to UK citizen and have a copy of marriage certificate with me." He simply waived me over and did not even want to see the certificate. But I made sure whenever I crossed Schengen border, my husband was next to me. Flying out of Italy, they did not even ask me any questions.
Of course, things will change for us once BREXIT is fully implemented. But we hope to be settled as residents in Italy by then."

Metabarca

Visit site
‘Now a fairly basic Italian test you need to pass’ is this a new requirement❓
It was a 'gift' from Salvini before he was kicked out of government, so within the last 18 months or so. I submitted my application before, so no test; my brother after, so he was tested despite having lived in Italy for some 30 years. There was an uproar recently because some Brazilian footballer was given Italian citizenship despite being hopeless with the language. It was alleged he was 'helped' in his test. Dunno how it ended.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Here's a reply I have just received, my question before their answer -

Hi, I am a UK citizen with Portuguese permanent residence, my wife is a Portuguese citizen. We are confused about travel in Schengen area. As I have residence in Portugal, am I limited to 90/180 days in other Schengen states when travelling for tourism alone? Secondly, does the 90/180 apply when travelling with my EU citizen wife?

Dear Sir,
Thank you for consulting Your Europe Advice service.
The Brexit implied that UK citizens became non-EU citizens as of 31 january 2020 and EU legislation on free movement and residence ceased to apply to them as of the end of the transition period, i. e., 31 december 2020.
On the other hand, the UK refused to include a chapter on mobility in the recent Commercial and Cooperation Agreement, or any provision aimed at facilitating short-term visits or long-term stays of EU citizens in the UK and vice-versa.
Hence, on which refers to tourism travels within the Schengen area, you are now subject to the same rules that apply to non-EU citizens in general, with the specialities arising from your own circumstances of being a family member of a EU-Portuguese citizen and the holder of a Portuguese permanent residence card (Article 6 of the Schengen Borders Code):
(i) Your Portuguese permanent residence card replaces the need of a visa for short stays not exceeding 90 days in any 180 day period. This is so regardless of whether you travel alone or with your wife.
(ii) For stays longer than 90 days in any 180-day period the national legislation of each Schengen State will apply, meaning that you need to check in advance whether you will need an entry visa for the countries concerned;
(iii) Your passport must have been issued within the previous ten years and its validity needs to extend at least three months after the date you intend to depart from the territory of the Member-states. This requisite applies only when you travel without your wife (Article 3 (a) of the Schengen Borders Code and Articles 3 (1), 4 and 5 of Directive 2004/38).
We hope the above information will be of assistance to you.
Best regards,
Your Europe Advice.

To submit another enquiry, please visit Your Europe Advice, but do not reply to this e-mail.
Yours sincerely,
Your Europe Advice

Reactions: RAI

Graham376

Visit site
Just received another reply, maybe from a different person/department

Dear xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre.

As your spouse is a Portuguese citizen, he/she will continue to benefit from the rights set out in the Free Movement Directive when travelling, after the end of the transition period, to EU Member States other than that of which he/she is a national.

The Free Movement Directive applies not only to EU citizens who move to or reside in a host Member State but also to their family members as defined in point 2 of Article 2 who accompany or join them.

You will thus derive a right of entry and residence from your spouse when accompanying or joining him/her in the territories of EU Member States of which he/she is not a national.

However, as mentioned above, Member States may, where the EU citizen exercises the right to move and reside freely in its territory, require the family member who is a non-EU national to have an entry visa (Article 5(2)).

Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 listing the countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement determines which non-EU nationals need a visa when travelling to EU Member States, except for Ireland. Annex I to the Regulation lists those non-EU nationals who are required to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external border of the Member States. Annex II to the Regulation lists those non-EU nationals who are exempt from the requirement to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external borders of the Member States for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.

The text of the Regulation and its Annexes is available at the following website: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1571825109562 HYPERLINK "EUR-Lex - 32018R1806 - EN - EUR-Lex"& HYPERLINK "EUR-Lex - 32018R1806 - EN - EUR-Lex"uri=CELEX:32018R1806

Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 has been amended to exempt UK nationals intending to visit the EU from the visa requirement for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.

The above means that you will be able to travel visa free in your own right for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period in the EU (except for Portugal where your stay is not limited since you hold residence there).

It also means that you will be exempted from the entry visa requirement when accompanying or joining your spouse to visit the EU, without any limitation to 90 days in a 180-day period (Article 6(2) of the Free Movement Directive).

When you are travelling alone to other EU countries with the purpose to join your spouse , you would derive your right to entry from your spouse, as non-EU national spouse of an EU mobile citizen. You will not have to wait 90 days after already having spent there 90 days.

In order to verify whether you have a derived right of entry and residence, the host Member State may only require you to present a valid passport, a proof of family ties with your spouse (i.e. your marriage certificate) and proof that you, as the non-EU national spouse of a mobile EU citizen, are (or will be) joining your EU citizen spouse who is exercising free movement rights in a host Member State.

Please note that, regarding periods of residence that exceed three months in any host Member State, your spouse will need to have sufficient resources for you and himself/herself not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during the period of your residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State (Article 7(1) Free Movement Directive), unless he/she works or is self-employed in the host Member State.

AndersG

Visit site
It also means that you will be exempted from the entry visa requirement when accompanying or joining your spouse to visit the EU, without any limitation to 90 days in a 180-day period (Article 6(2) of the Free Movement Directive).

When you are travelling alone to other EU countries with the purpose to join your spouse , you would derive your right to entry from your spouse, as non-EU national spouse of an EU mobile citizen. You will not have to wait 90 days after already having spent there 90 days.

In order to verify whether you have a derived right of entry and residence, the host Member State may only require you to present a valid passport, a proof of family ties with your spouse (i.e. your marriage certificate) and proof that you, as the non-EU national spouse of a mobile EU citizen, are (or will be) joining your EU citizen spouse who is exercising free movement rights in a host Member State.
Brilliant! That should solve our problem since I'm still an EU citizen but she is not.

syvictoria

Visit site
Just received another reply, maybe from a different person/department

Dear xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre.

As your spouse is a Portuguese citizen, he/she will continue to benefit from the rights set out in the Free Movement Directive when travelling, after the end of the transition period, to EU Member States other than that of which he/she is a national.

The Free Movement Directive applies not only to EU citizens who move to or reside in a host Member State but also to their family members as defined in point 2 of Article 2 who accompany or join them.

You will thus derive a right of entry and residence from your spouse when accompanying or joining him/her in the territories of EU Member States of which he/she is not a national.

However, as mentioned above, Member States may, where the EU citizen exercises the right to move and reside freely in its territory, require the family member who is a non-EU national to have an entry visa (Article 5(2)).

Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 listing the countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement determines which non-EU nationals need a visa when travelling to EU Member States, except for Ireland. Annex I to the Regulation lists those non-EU nationals who are required to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external border of the Member States. Annex II to the Regulation lists those non-EU nationals who are exempt from the requirement to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external borders of the Member States for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.

The text of the Regulation and its Annexes is available at the following website: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1571825109562 HYPERLINK "EUR-Lex - 32018R1806 - EN - EUR-Lex"& HYPERLINK "EUR-Lex - 32018R1806 - EN - EUR-Lex"uri=CELEX:32018R1806

Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 has been amended to exempt UK nationals intending to visit the EU from the visa requirement for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.

The above means that you will be able to travel visa free in your own right for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period in the EU (except for Portugal where your stay is not limited since you hold residence there).

Please note that, regarding periods of residence that exceed three months in any host Member State, your spouse will need to have sufficient resources for you and himself/herself not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during the period of your residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State (Article 7(1) Free Movement Directive), unless he/she works or is self-employed in the host Member State.

Wow! Superb news!

@Graham376 Thank you for all your efforts!

Kelpie

Visit site
Yes, thank you Graham376 for taking the time to seek an answer to this. Looks like very good news for us.

Adios

Visit site
(y) Superb! Looks like I'll be taking up the dual nationality option I have. Great work finding that out

Adios

Visit site
On the other hand, the UK refused to include a chapter on mobility in the recent Commercial and Cooperation Agreement, or any provision aimed at facilitating short-term visits or long-term stays of EU citizens in the UK and vice-versa.
I'm glad to see this actually. No news is good news. I have hope they'll be able to sort this out at some point but clearly with covid it wasn't a priority to do it now.

smithadr

Visit site
Re. my original post that kicked off this now rather long thread .... I have had a reply back from 'Europe Advice' to the original query I posted here. As the reply wasn't as clear as it might I also asked a second question....

******* Anyway, my original question was

"I have a UK passport so when the UK leaves the EU I will lose the unrestricted EU travel rights I have enjoyed up until now. My wife has dual nationality as her parents were Italian and she has a UK passport AND an Italian EU passport. We are both UK residents and have lived in the UK all our lives. We intend to do some extended travelling together around Europe, all within the Schengen zone, next year. Will we be able to travel around Schengen for as long as we like or will we be restricted to 3 months (90 days) per 6 month period (180 days) ?"

******* Their reply was ...

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Your Europe Advice.
Regardless of Brexit and the soon ending transition period, and of being married to a UK national, an Italian national, as your wife, is an EU citizen with all the mobility rights attached to that status, even if (possibly) she also retains UK nationality.
This means that you can travel to Schengen countries with your wife or join her there, for short stays not exceeding three months.
For longer stays, you could be required to apply for a long stay visa or residence card as family member of an EU citizen.
However, you would not be subject to the maximum 90 days in a given 180 day period, if you are staying in the host EU country with your wife. Indeed, this would limit her own freedom of movement within the EU as an EU citizen, and to be with her non-EU spouse in mobility.
EU legislation: Directive 2004/38/EC - Schengen Borders Code
For further information, see: Your non-EU spouse and children's residence rights in the EU
These rules at least will apply to your situation, as for any third country national married to an EU citizen, unless more favourable rules are agreed for UK nationals in the EU and EU citizens in the UK by the EU and the UK in an agreement on their future relationship.
With our best wishes,
Your Europe Advice

******* My follow up question was ...

"This is a follow up enquiry to enquiry 325611. Thank you for your reply but I am still a bit confused. My question was "I have a UK passport so when the UK leaves the EU I will lose the unrestricted EU travel rights I have enjoyed up until now. My wife has dual nationality as her parents were Italian and she has a UK passport AND an Italian EU passport. We are both UK residents and have lived in the UK all our lives. We intend to do some extended travelling together around Europe, all within the Schengen zone, next year"............ To help me understand, please could you answer the following question.......
Will my wife and I be able to travel to France and spend 1 month in France, then travel from France to Spain to spend 1 month in Spain and then travel from Spain to Greece to spend 2 months in Greece (ie 4 continuous months in Schengen) ???"

******* Their reply was ....

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Your Europe - Advice again.
Your enquiry raises the issue of your rights to travel to Schengen countries and yours and your spouse s ability to stay beyond 90 days in the Schengen area after the end of the Brexit transitional period which expired on 31 December 2020.
Brexit does not affect your wife s rights as an EU citizen given that she also holds Italian nationality.
You will continue to derive rights from your wife s status and benefit from the free movement of persons under EU law.
You therefore retain the right to travel to any EU country and stay there up to three months with your wife. To be able to stay beyond three months you and your wife would need to register your residence in France or any other EU country.
However, you will cease to benefit in your own right from the right to reside in an EU country under the EU free movement rules. From 1 January 2021, you will only be able to benefit from the free movement of persons so as a non-EU national who is the family member of an EU citizen.
You will continue to benefit from the ability to travel within Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days. Any time that you spend staying in an EU country will count against her 90-day entitlement to stay in the Schengen area (unless you hold a residence document as a resident there).
Best regards,
Your Europe-Advice

Anyway, I'm now even more confused. I had thought that what they were saying was "yes, you can stay in Schengen for more than 90 days out of 180 as long as you don't stay in any snigle country for more than 3 months in which case you will need a visa for that country"

However, the very last line of their second reply says "You will continue to benefit from the ability to travel within Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days. Any time that you spend staying in an EU country will count against her 90-day entitlement to stay in the Schengen area (unless you hold a residence document as a resident there)." which would imply its only 90 days.

Thoughts anyone ? Have I missed something ??

Thanks...

FirstAway

Visit site
Re. my original post that kicked off this now rather long thread .... I have had a reply back from 'Europe Advice' to the original query I posted here. As the reply wasn't as clear as it might I also asked a second question....

******* Anyway, my original question was

"I have a UK passport so when the UK leaves the EU I will lose the unrestricted EU travel rights I have enjoyed up until now. My wife has dual nationality as her parents were Italian and she has a UK passport AND an Italian EU passport. We are both UK residents and have lived in the UK all our lives. We intend to do some extended travelling together around Europe, all within the Schengen zone, next year. Will we be able to travel around Schengen for as long as we like or will we be restricted to 3 months (90 days) per 6 month period (180 days) ?"

******* Their reply was ...

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Your Europe Advice.
Regardless of Brexit and the soon ending transition period, and of being married to a UK national, an Italian national, as your wife, is an EU citizen with all the mobility rights attached to that status, even if (possibly) she also retains UK nationality.
This means that you can travel to Schengen countries with your wife or join her there, for short stays not exceeding three months.
For longer stays, you could be required to apply for a long stay visa or residence card as family member of an EU citizen.
However, you would not be subject to the maximum 90 days in a given 180 day period, if you are staying in the host EU country with your wife. Indeed, this would limit her own freedom of movement within the EU as an EU citizen, and to be with her non-EU spouse in mobility.
EU legislation: Directive 2004/38/EC - Schengen Borders Code
For further information, see: Your non-EU spouse and children's residence rights in the EU
These rules at least will apply to your situation, as for any third country national married to an EU citizen, unless more favourable rules are agreed for UK nationals in the EU and EU citizens in the UK by the EU and the UK in an agreement on their future relationship.
With our best wishes,
Your Europe Advice

******* My follow up question was ...

"This is a follow up enquiry to enquiry 325611. Thank you for your reply but I am still a bit confused. My question was "I have a UK passport so when the UK leaves the EU I will lose the unrestricted EU travel rights I have enjoyed up until now. My wife has dual nationality as her parents were Italian and she has a UK passport AND an Italian EU passport. We are both UK residents and have lived in the UK all our lives. We intend to do some extended travelling together around Europe, all within the Schengen zone, next year"............ To help me understand, please could you answer the following question.......
Will my wife and I be able to travel to France and spend 1 month in France, then travel from France to Spain to spend 1 month in Spain and then travel from Spain to Greece to spend 2 months in Greece (ie 4 continuous months in Schengen) ???"

******* Their reply was ....

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Your Europe - Advice again.
Your enquiry raises the issue of your rights to travel to Schengen countries and yours and your spouse s ability to stay beyond 90 days in the Schengen area after the end of the Brexit transitional period which expired on 31 December 2020.
Brexit does not affect your wife s rights as an EU citizen given that she also holds Italian nationality.
You will continue to derive rights from your wife s status and benefit from the free movement of persons under EU law.
You therefore retain the right to travel to any EU country and stay there up to three months with your wife. To be able to stay beyond three months you and your wife would need to register your residence in France or any other EU country.
However, you will cease to benefit in your own right from the right to reside in an EU country under the EU free movement rules. From 1 January 2021, you will only be able to benefit from the free movement of persons so as a non-EU national who is the family member of an EU citizen.
You will continue to benefit from the ability to travel within Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days. Any time that you spend staying in an EU country will count against her 90-day entitlement to stay in the Schengen area (unless you hold a residence document as a resident there).
Best regards,
Your Europe-Advice

Anyway, I'm now even more confused. I had thought that what they were saying was "yes, you can stay in Schengen for more than 90 days out of 180 as long as you don't stay in any snigle country for more than 3 months in which case you will need a visa for that country"

However, the very last line of their second reply says "You will continue to benefit from the ability to travel within Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days. Any time that you spend staying in an EU country will count against her 90-day entitlement to stay in the Schengen area (unless you hold a residence document as a resident there)." which would imply its only 90 days.

Thoughts anyone ? Have I missed something ??

Thanks...
My understanding is, and I may well be wrong, based on our experience in Greece. It has been a requirement for some time that any EU citizen staying in another EU country for longer than 90 days should register with the local authorities. In Greece this involves some proof of financial status and basic health insurance (EHIC is OK). For this you get the temporary residents card. Until Brexit came along few people did this and nobody seemed to bother about it, but it was nevertheless the law.

I believe that is what Europe-advice is saying in the last line, that EU nationals should register if staying in any other EU country for longer than 90 days.

Graham376

Visit site
My understanding is, and I may well be wrong, based on our experience in Greece. It has been a requirement for some time that any EU citizen staying in another EU country for longer than 90 days should register with the local authorities. In Greece this involves some proof of financial status and basic health insurance (EHIC is OK). For this you get the temporary residents card. Until Brexit came along few people did this and nobody seemed to bother about it, but it was nevertheless the law.

I believe that is what Europe-advice is saying in the last line, that EU nationals should register if staying in any other EU country for longer than 90 days.

Agreed, anyone of any nationality whether EU citizen or not has to register their presence if they're in country for 90 days. For those who don't need visas, if they keep moving, there don't seem to be any restriction.

nortada

Visit site

My understanding too but as it is a national thing, when registering, different EU countries have different requirements.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Since I realised my mistake in thinking residence was King and being corrected on this very thread that Passport was King I have been content to accept a 90 day limitation. Now it seems that I was always in violation of Schengen when I spent an average of 5 month a year in Greece without registering. I had no clue about this.

This business about citizen spouse has now popped up as a further complication. My current family are Swedish citizens. I don't consider that a factor in 90 day rule because I have no desire to jump through any more hoops. For me it is 90 days and a quiet life plus a sailing exit from EU to the Caribbean.

This reminds me of one New Years Eve which we spent with my wife's uncle who was a Professor of Law lecturing at Gothenberg University. I asked him why when a killer was convicted with solid proof of such a simple universal law there was still a heap of lawyers involved. I remember his reply that one of the arts of a lawyer is to NEVER draft a stand alone law without codecils or whatever to allow mitigating circumstances. You need a lawyer to prosecute an offence and another lawyer to defend it. A lawyer to appeal it and another lawyer to judge the appeal. Even parking and speeding on the spot fines allow lawyer intervention if requested. They, in fact, form the framework governments live inside and obey.

I am so bored and starved of variable human contact caused by Covid virus that I am actually looking for an excuse to post on here no matter how irrevelent.

nortada

Visit site
Since I realised my mistake in thinking residence was King and being corrected on this very thread that Passport was King I have been content to accept a 90 day limitation. Now it seems that I was always in violation of Schengen when I spent an average of 5 month a year in Greece without registering. I had no clue about this.

This business about citizen spouse has now popped up as a further complication. My current family are Swedish citizens. I don't consider that a factor in 90 day rule because I have no desire to jump through any more hoops. For me it is 90 days and a quiet life plus a sailing exit from EU to the Caribbean.

This reminds me of one New Years Eve which we spent with my wife's uncle who was a Professor of Law lecturing at Gothenberg University. I asked him why when a killer was convicted with solid proof of such a simple universal law there was still a heap of lawyers involved. I remember his reply that one of the arts of a lawyer is to NEVER draft a stand alone law without codecils or whatever to allow mitigating circumstances. You need a lawyer to prosecute an offence and another lawyer to defend it. A lawyer to appeal it and another lawyer to judge the appeal. Even parking and speeding on the spot fines allow lawyer intervention if requested. They, in fact, form the framework governments live inside and obey.

I am so bored and starved of variable human contact caused by Covid virus that I am actually looking for an excuse to post on here no matter how irrelevant.

Your posts are far from irrelevant. They are thought provoking and full of good stuff so please continue to entertain and challenge the rest of us.

Your point about Passport is King is interesting but I see it as one of many tools in the inventory and not available to many (possibly even the majority) so Residency in a Schegen stare but again it has limitations. Routing and location are others as is having 2 cheaper boats rather than one expensive one.

Discussions on how to make the best of the new situation make interesting reading.

Over the years, we gradually evolved from being totally UK based; living in a 'nice' house in Huntingdon (almost as far you can get from the sea) and cruising the inland waterways and rivers. When retirement provided more free time, we went coastal on the East/ North Sea/ Northern Europe. After a few years of English summers we took off south and the boat has never returned. Subsequently, we sold the house (to give us extra funds) but to give us a foothold in the UK, we got a cheap static caravan and gradually evolved into winters afloat down south but summers back in the old country. We then bought another cheap UK based cruiser and so spent much of our summers afloat.

Covid has confirmed that the static caravan is not an adequate base in the UK so when we can get back we will buy a small apartment, right by the sea and wave goodbye to the caravan.

So what have we learned ❓ Life continues to evolve and we need to change to meet our changing needs/circumstances.

This is where Liveaboard Link and your threads are invaluable. Avoid/manage the Schengen Zone (one boat in Schengen one out) - what a great idea.:cool:✅

Keep posting - I really look forward what you have to say.(y)?

Graham376

Visit site
The Ukaraine is not part of the EU,but your suggestion brings a question!

I wonder if polygamous partnerships also qualify for spousal FOM if one of them is an EU citizen?

Seeing so many Ukrainians in Portugal, I thought they were members. Oh well, will have to look elsewhere :)

Quick Google says - Some EU countries treat civil and registered partnerships in the same way as they treat married couples. In this case, you should check the applicable residence rights and conditions for spouses.