Liveaboard in Poole harbour

rexel235

Visit site
Hi ,
I'm intending to live aboard a sailing boat in Poole harbour , my understanding is that most marinas have a strict no liveaboards policy so I looked into mooring in the river Frome (anchoring along the bank )
Information about the legality of anchoring on the bank of the Frome river is scarce but as far as I can tell it is allowed as long you don't block the river.
Would also essentially be living off grid on the river so I'll have to modify the boat in some areas e.g. solar panels and a composting toilet along with insulating the interior
I'm really just looking for advice about any subject , things I may not have considered etc

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

The Frome upstream of the entrance is controlled by Wessex Water and pretty sure you will find that anchoring is prohibited. The trot moorings are also mainly Wessex, although some are Ridge Wharf and Redcliffe Yacht Club. None of those would allow long term liveaboards, although short term may be possible. I lived on a Ridge Wharf mooring for about a month (September) many years ago when I first moved here. Bit like camping with the odd swan or egret for company.

You are right about the marinas. Most are owned by clubs and the 2 big commercial ones are not only expensive but discourage liveaboards. From time to time some have lived on swinging moorings in Holes Bay, but a pretty desolate place in the winter as exposed to weather from all sides! There is however little to stop you living on the hook in the harbour, except that none of the anchorages have good all round shelter and access to shoreside problematic. In all my years (over 40!) living, working and sailing around the harbour I have never seen an off grid liveaboard stay for more than a few weeks in the summer.

Sorry if it sounds negative, but that is how it is.

rexel235

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

The Frome upstream of the entrance is controlled by Wessex Water and pretty sure you will find that anchoring is prohibited. The trot moorings are also mainly Wessex, although some are Ridge Wharf and Redcliffe Yacht Club. None of those would allow long term liveaboards, although short term may be possible. I lived on a Ridge Wharf mooring for about a month (September) many years ago when I first moved here. Bit like camping with the odd swan or egret for company.

You are right about the marinas. Most are owned by clubs and the 2 big commercial ones are not only expensive but discourage liveaboards. From time to time some have lived on swinging moorings in Holes Bay, but a pretty desolate place in the winter as exposed to weather from all sides! There is however little to stop you living on the hook in the harbour, except that none of the anchorages have good all round shelter and access to shoreside problematic. In all my years (over 40!) living, working and sailing around the harbour I have never seen an off grid liveaboard stay for more than a few weeks in the summer.

Sorry if it sounds negative, but that is how it is.

Hi Tranona
I've seen a couple of websites that say it is permitted to anchor alongside the bank with no restrictions as long as you stay out of the salmon holes and on the port side , and I was hoping that these findings would be supported and say it was permitted , I have sailed up there and stayed at ridge wharf with my parents a few times , and I have seen people anchored along the bank but the length of stay rules remain unknown to me.

I can see how there wouldn't be many fully sheltered anchorages/ moorings in Poole harbour

Tranona

Visit site
You could ask Wessex Water. However if you stray outside the channel it dries at low water, in places at quite an angle! (guess how I found that out).

In general living aboard a small yacht off grid or part off is a tough life . Apart from the lack of space, keeping warm and dry and basic life sustaining activities it is incompatible with a shoreside working and social life unless you have easy access to shore. Marinas and alongside wharves etc are sort of OK and deep water moorings close to landing places tolerable, but the further you get away from your shore base the more difficult it gets. I lived for a year on a 26', partly afloat on a trot mooring but mostly on shore in a yard with shorepower and loos within walking distance. Met my then needs but would not do again it through choice.

Oscar24

Visit site
There are some people living aboard in marinas in holes bay, but they keep a very low profile. There are also people in the bay itself on moorings but I'm not sure where they come ashore for provisions. It cant be much fun on a swinging mooring in the bay tbh. Actually there are also quite a few on the hard in the marinas (who are never going to go anywhere and are always working up for the big cruise south, which never comes)
I think the problem you will find, is finding a spot suitable that is close to shops for provisions. I'm not sure a composting toilet would be a good idea on a boat but will leave that to someone else who's got experience of using one on board. Discharging anything into the harbour is a no no.
I'm pretty sure there are some liveaboard's over near jerrys point just south of Shell Bay boat yard on the Studland peninsula but you would be miles from any shops there and quite isolated.

rexel235

Visit site
There are some people living aboard in marinas in holes bay, but they keep a very low profile. There are also people in the bay itself on moorings but I'm not sure where they come ashore for provisions. It cant be much fun on a swinging mooring in the bay tbh. Actually there are also quite a few on the hard in the marinas (who are never going to go anywhere and are always working up for the big cruise south, which never comes)
I think the problem you will find, is finding a spot suitable that is close to shops for provisions. I'm not sure a composting toilet would be a good idea on a boat but will leave that to someone else who's got experience of using one on board. Discharging anything into the harbour is a no no.
I'm pretty sure there are some liveaboard's over near jerry's point just south of Shell Bay boat yard on the Studland peninsula but you would be miles from any shops there and quite isolated.
I'll look into a marina berth in holes bay , the idea was to live off the hook in the summer anyway

Oscar24

Visit site
I'll look into a marina berth in holes bay , the idea was to live off the hook in the summer anyway
I think all the marina berths in holes bay are taken for 2021, seems like covid has made everyone want to get a boat this year.
You could try asking PHC to see if they have any spare moorings.

Oscar24

Visit site
Poole harbour commissioners ?
Yep, pretty sure they look after most of the moorings in holes bay. I wouldnt tell them you were planning to live aboard full time thou. They have a few mid channel pontoons as well as buoys.
Might also be worth asking them who else has mooring available. Lake pier is a possible area for moorings.

duncan_m

Visit site
Short answer. Yes, it's possible. I wouldn't do it in winter it's almost impossible to keep a boat at anchor or on a mooring warm enough. Budget in a winter berth in a marina in Poole or somewhere nearby e.g. Solent

If you have a job where you have to go ashore every day it's probably very difficult and an annual berth in a marina is the best option. Most marinas will not actively kick out liveaboards unless you cause trouble. I'd avoid MDL and research on forums for specific marinas you're interested in. Like anything, always do a test. Go and stay in the marina for a week or so and see if you like it, have a look around and see if you see any other liveaboards.

Poole actually offers pretty good shelter, while not from the wind there's no chance of big rolling waves. There have been plenty of occasions usually in high winds where I wouldn't want to be in a dinghy of any size and wouldn't leave the boat on its own at anchor in case it decided to go for a trip without me.

To do it comfortably ideally you'll have a boat that can store plenty of water ±500 litres or more, a good anchor e.g. Rocna or similar, a decent diesel heater, lithium house battery and a lot of surface area for solar panels.

V1701

Visit site
Echo what has been said above and would re-emphasise that you never, ever mention living aboard within earshot of anyone who might provide you with a berth or a mooring. Honestly & realistically what you're proposing would be very difficult, at times utterly miserable, at times downright dangerous potentially in the UK. However I do think it worth giving a go on the basis of 6 months at anchor most of the time and a 6 month "winter" marina contract - the winter contracts are usually around 1/3 of the cost of an annual contract and living in a marina is easy, even in winter in the UK, unless you're on a too small boat. I'd say go for a 32 footer as a compromise in terms of space/cost to berth for one or two if you get on well enough. I've been FT in UK in a marina for over 10 years now & still happy...

ryanroberts

Visit site
The liveaboards near me in Poole are always slightly surprised when I actually go sailing. It's doable, in a few ways. I would really wait until the pandmic stuff is over, I got very lucky rocking up last June.. I am a lightweight and would not want to live off grid in winter or late autumn, that' s tricky enough on a narrowboat where you have huge great storage space and can just step off.. There are a few on trot moorings all year here, but sod that personally. I think you also need to be prepared to move at short notice if things go bad, commitment to a commute makes liveaboard life a lot harder.

I think you could anchor in Poole with a nappy pin on a bit of string. There are also a lot of trot buoys on the way up to wareham, and the boatyard there might be pikey compatible.

Last edited: