Liveaboard Blogs and Websites

Pavalijo

Visit site
Re Calypso Capers

Having just joined the ranks of the unemployed, we move aboard (6 months each year) in one month's time.

We will be heading from Scotland to Southampton this year. After winter fitting out works we head south next year.

We had planned to spend winters in the Carribean when we hatched this plan, but the Mediterranean now looks more appealing.

I doubt we will be obsessive bloggers but you can follow our journey at www.calypsocapers.co.uk

Paul and Val on Moody S38 Calypso

phil28

Visit site
Hey Everyone!

Its finally happening, we are packing up and setting sail from the UK to the Med in early April.

Follow 4 Australians as we plan to take our yacht through the French Canals and out into Mediterranean for the Summer.

We will be updating our blogs daily/weekly and will be filming videos along the way. Would love any tips you may have especially through the French Canals.

The map on our home page is editable by anyone so please feel free to click on it and ad any places of interest along our route!

Hope to see you out there.

www.svjuno.wordpress.com

WightMistress

Visit site
Happy sailing everyone.
We are hauled out at the moment, preparing for a departure mid April. We aim to go round Britain this year and if time permits, back to Holland perhaps. Wight Mistress is having a nice shiny new Hydrovane windvane steering thingy and a new anchor chain too. On trying to land our chain we discovered the bit we rarely use is now a nest of rotting, yukky, rusty blob of ballast in the bottom of the anchor locker. It is coming out and a major clean up will ensue. We would be very grateful to you out there for any advice on a decent cruising anchoring line up please. We have thought from rope and chain combo, to stainless chain and back to galvanised. I guess the current set up did last us 15 years of use plus another 19 years with previous owners. This said, it was fine when we bought her in '02, so the blame is firmly in my lap. Any ideas please??

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
Hi Wight Mistress

We're going with a rope / chain combo as, being a cat, we're a bit more weight sensitive. If weight wasn't an issue, then I'd be happy with all chain, and a suitable snubber for stopping it clanging around at night. Have you got a windlass, or hand hauling? How are you planning on connecting the anchor to the chain - seems the weakest link - Vyv Cox has some good info on this on his site.

SV Kittiwake

sailingkittiwake.com

AndrewB

Visit site
Sorry fate of Yachting blog.

While I was blue-water cruising I kept a yachting blog with its own, very obviously yachting-blog domain name (it started before the days of free blogging sites). At one time it was getting enough hits to give it a high Google profile. After I stopped cruising and adding to it, naturally the number of hits tailed off, and last year I decided to end it when the ISP raised the (admittedly modest) annual subs.

Now I find the domain name has been resold and is being used to advertise a clothing company! That despite the inappropriateness of the name. Did I miss a trick here? Anyway, apologies to anyone who has recently tried to access the site which I listed earlier in this thread. Honest, it's not my deliberate spam.

Last edited:
Reactions: t21

Yngmar

Visit site
Re: Sorry fate of Yachting blog.

While I was blue-water cruising I kept a yachting blog with its own, very obviously yachting-blog domain name (it started before the days of free blogging sites). At one time it was getting enough hits to give it a high Google profile. After I stopped cruising and adding to it, naturally the number of hits tailed off, and last year I decided to end it when the ISP raised the (admittedly modest) annual subs.

Now I find the domain name has been resold and is being used to advertise a clothing company! That despite the inappropriateness of the name. Did I miss a trick here? Anyway, apologies to anyone who has recently tried to access the site which I listed earlier in this thread. Honest, it's not my deliberate spam.

That's pretty much standard practice on the internet, unfortunately. Many of the slimier domain registrars (GoDaddy etc.) even do it to their own (former) customers, once your domain expires.

While I'm here, we of course have a blog now too! We've crossed Biscay and are currently cruising the Spanish Rias on a Bavaria 40 Ocean from 2001, which I've spent two years fixing up and fitting out. You can read more at [U]https://sdfjkl.org[/U]

map3.jpg

louisderry

Visit site
Re: Sorry fate of Yachting blog.

A lot of domains get bought up because they have Athority aka the age of the domain, history, backlinks, its likely someone bought it for this reason as you can then direct the domain to your site and get the "link juice" ad get higher in ranking. Althogh if the t-shirts aren't related to the topic previous then I wouldn't see the benefit- that's a bit odd .:confused:

oldmansailingdotcom

Visit site
I used to write the Dogwatch column in Yachting World and after a 20-year gap, I am back in a boat (Rival 32 just like the one I had in the 80's).
However journalism isn't what it was and the future seems to belong to the video bloggers - particularly if they are young, attractive and don't seem to wear many clothes.
Since nobody wants to see me with my vest off, I shall stick to words. You can read them at www.oldmansailing.com

WightMistress

Visit site
Fisher 34 Wight Mistress. Finished latest refit in April, now in Cherbourg, heading for South Brittany and maybe further. www.wightmistress.com is our blog. It has all sorts of other stuff on there and I have just restarted for Cruise 2018. Spent 2011 to 2014 in the French waterways. Magic fun. Now doing some more sailing while we are still fit and healthy enough.

Ekotabassi

Visit site
Hi newby here ? I am looking at a boat at present, it is moored in France I would like to look at potential yearly rentals in somewhere warm, cheap ( but with some quality of life) with flights from Aberdeen ( for the Mrs)

WightMistress

Visit site
Hi newby here ? I am looking at a boat at present, it is moored in France I would like to look at potential yearly rentals in somewhere warm, cheap ( but with some quality of life) with flights from Aberdeen ( for the Mrs)
Ahoy,
Best of luck with your plans. Since 2011 we have been all over Europe, including long periods in the French waterways. If you do choose to stop over in the middle of France, it is wonderful but be aware (STBO) that from the end of October to March it can be incredibly cold. The rest of the year is wonderful. Even the Med can be unpleasant in the winter. But don't let me put you off, it is still a wonderful thing to do and parking in fresh water is better than salt (go figure.)
Fair Winds
Stev