Liveable on the Isle of Wight

V1701

Visit site
Hi George & welcome to the forum. I've lived on some smallish boats in a marina so there was shore power (240v mains) available as well as hot showers. In the winter in the UK, especially on a boat as small as that you would struggle to survive anywhere other than in a marina so I would have a look at them all on the IoW & see which suits. Best not mention that you intend to live aboard, it can make them a bit twitchy but most marinas have a smattering of liveaboards and as long as you're quiet, respectful of others and don't make it obvious mostly you'll be fine pretty much anywhere. Good luck and if you have any more specific questions ask away this is a friendly place...

ashtead

Visit site
Lovely at island harbour which would be my first choice as someone who lived on island and grew up sailing in Bembridge and the folly. Rather depends on if you need to do anything on island or commute to mainland. Don’t forget the chain ferry from east cowes is somewhat unreliable if tempted by the east side. Not much in Bembridge though but guess it depends on your priorities .

VicS

Visit site
Lovely at island harbour which would be my first choice as someone who lived on island and grew up sailing in Bembridge and the folly. Rather depends on if you need to do anything on island or commute to mainland. Don’t forget the chain ferry from east cowes is somewhat unreliable if tempted by the east side. Not much in Bembridge though but guess it depends on your priorities .
"Somewhat unreliable" must be the understatement of the year It not been operating at all since mid July. Its now known as the "Wight Elephant"

Offshore57

Visit site
We visit Island Harbour a fair bit and the facilities are good. Nice showers / toilets etc...laundry as well that we used last time we were there. The Breeze restaurant is nice and we tend to visit that once per visit. Chandlery has some basics for food... Cycle path to Newport is easy...bus stops at the end of the road both ways. I think there are a few liveaboards there dotted around. Bembridge used to be our favourite but not so much I the last couple of years. We are liveaboards now and we took our "home" with us to Island Harbour in September for a week.