Livaboards - how do you shower?

cassie

Visit site
In summer we use a 1.5 ltr mineral water plastic bottle with 10 holes punched in the plastic top. Makes a great shower and less hassle than using solar bags. Also looks rather posh as several neighbours thought we were rinsing off with Perrier...

In winter we'll use the solar bags but normally we are hiding out in a marina or shipyard with shower facilities.

If its really cold and we are anchored out it's a hot sponge bath down below.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Our only complaint with the Solar Showers is the shortcoming in the directions/instructions invariably printed on them: -

1. Flush out with bicarb solution, rinse and refill
2. Lay flat on the deck, black-side upermost in a sunny area.
3. Enjoy a lovely warm shower.

There should be either 2a. sail 600 miles south or 2b. top-up with hot water from the kettle, added into the list. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ccscott49

Visit site
We have two showers aboard, full size seperate shower cubicles, use instant gas water heater, and we tend to navy shower, get in, turn on, get wet, turn off, soap up including shampoo, turn on rinse off, done, about 5 liters a shower. Unless we have plenty of water, then its leave it on, but still only takes about 10 liters.
We also have a 90 L/Hr watermaker.

starfire

Visit site
Thunderstorms do it for me, but on in warmer climes !

Trick is not to be too bothered about lightning hitting the water all around & try to get rinsed off before the rain stops.

stephenmartin

Visit site
Ha Ha...I have the mutts nuts shower I just built....I scrounged about 8 6x4 ft 304 stainless sheets many years ago....(4 actually)...i then spent a month angle grinding the panels to clad the shower area and finish it off with varnished mahogany....200 gallons of cold water and a Rinaii on demand water heater....automatic pump out....

Are you jealous yet...electric extarctor...(pc power supply fan) not yet connected...its the perfect liveabord...everybody hates me....ha ha

Steve

Swagman

Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for a
www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Ha Ha...I have the mutts nuts shower I just built....I scrounged about 8 6x4 ft 304 stainless sheets many years ago....(4 actually)...i then spent a month angle grinding the panels to clad the shower area and finish it off with varnished mahogany....200 gallons of cold water and a Rinaii on demand water heater....automatic pump out....

Are you jealous yet...electric extarctor...(pc power supply fan) not yet connected...its the perfect liveabord...everybody hates me....ha ha

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they hate you? Surely they'd all be waving as they sail past your overweighted stainless steel shower powered sailboat?
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
JOHN

johnny_burgoyne

Visit site
Chapin makes a backpack garden sprayer, which holds 4 gallons, and is powered by a Black & Decker rechargeable battery. It develops 30 PSI or so. I have used mine to spray garden fertilizer, and I was surprised by the strength of the water stream. Of course, it depends on a supply of fresh water, but you do not need 110 volt power, since you can charge the batteries ashore and bring them with you.

V1701

Visit site
If UK based and in a marina as I am, the vast majority just use the marina facilities - they're included in your berthing fees, you don't have to clean them and in the UK it's often too cold to practically shower on board every day mostly due to the heads likely remaining damp most of the time. And if you're still having to work you really need to be based in a marina. If, OTOH, you are work free and can head somewhere warm it's an entirely different story...

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Swim in the sea at anchor, bucket of seawater over the head in the cockpit on passage, salt brushes off the skin when you dry but a simple garden sprayer works well as a rinse using very little water. Naked in the cockpit in a heavy rain shower, showers ashore when they are there. Well known that there are health benefits from bathing in cold water. No shower on my boat (no water maker either) KISS, I know that this may be a minority view but regard it as a wasteful use of water that should be used for cooking and drinking. and no I don't smell!

PlanB

Visit site
I always used the marina showers as they were bigger and more powerful/hotter than my heads, and I didn't have to clean up afterwards.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Looking at some of the names that reply to this posting in the pass one poor Jim has passed away , carol has long sold up and now a land lover, other haven't been seen for some years .

Resolution

Visit site
Looking at some of the names that reply to this posting in the pass one poor Jim has passed away , carol has long sold up and now a land lover, other haven't been seen for some years .
Vic
Our first season in the Med was 2014, when we did nSpain to Turkey, stopping all the way. Passage planning was heavily based on stuff I found on JimB’s website, which was just what we needed. RIP Jim, and thanks for helping us off.

cherod

Visit site

Steve
maybe everybody hated you because it didnt work !!

cherod

Visit site
i notice that the OP has not been on since 2015 . ( 8 years after his op , so maybe done his " few years " and moved on )

Artic Warrior

Visit site
I use black shower bag hanging from the gantry on the back.
If you don't have a engine that heats water but you have a compartment area.
You can have a a fixed bucket/tank and pump and put warm water into it...
And have a shower that way.
Or if you have an enclosed cockpit you can shower in there.