Little Sound versus Jack Sound

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
To the immediate west of Jack Sound (Skomer) is a passage called little sound which the pilot (sea guide to Pembrokeshire) reckons is viable as an alternative route inshore of the island for yachts of moderate draft. Has anybody used it and is there experience to support this? Cheers

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Jack Sound can be a bit of a nail biting experience at the best of times, I certainly don't think I want to make life even more exciting by trying little sound, which looks a bit narrow and navigable only at or near high water.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Is that the one immediately off the eastern tip of Skomer and about 1/2M west of Jack Sound? If yes, then we went through it a couple of times about twenty years ago; depths should be unchanged as it was a rocky rather than sand bottom. We were in an Albin Vega so drawing about 4'/1.2m transiting between the north and south bays on Skomer and had no problems whatsoever; it was as I recall about 100m wide with plenty of water for us a both low & high water slacks, but they were on a couple of nice/flat/sunny days. If you can't time your passage for slack water and/or the wind's blowing, I'd recommend giving it a wide berth, then again I wouldn't fancy Jack Sound either on a wild and windy day

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Jack Sound is a doddle going north once you line up on Tusker. Jack Sound going south is a doddle provided you dont get confused by BST as I once did and come through late and thus at 14kt.

I am sure you can go through Little Sound, and did ponder it but the Navigator threatened divorce or at least permanent change of crewing arrangements

tico

Visit site
Been through little sound several times but in a mobo. I'd avoid near low tide as there is a rock in the middle which gets a bit close to the surface.
In some ways it's easier than jack sound as there aren't the overalls or whirlpool that you can get by the blackstones

Visit site
I often go through little sound in a 2m draft yacht - as its shorter can be less overfalls in the right conditions than Jack sound. As said above a bit of care needed especially at low water as there are a couple of rocks in the middle on the N side and another if you turn to the W too sharply - all shown on charts and all which would need lowish water to stand a chance of hitting but can kick up some overfalls.

There is also another rock (uncharted) on the W side of the sound itself thats not marked and more of an issue at low tides and has claimed at least one victim

As with Jack sound just watch for any significant wind over tide conditions when both can get very unpleasant.

I will confess to never having sailed through it - at least not without the engine running as well. Not a lot of room (time) if anything went wrong.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I always choose LJS over JS in my mobo, but then I have loads of power to easily beat any foul tide, avoiding the rock mid channel on the N side by heading towards N haven once through N bound.
I go through in my 24' yacht under power, but my little 1gm10 wouldn't cope against the flow, so I pick my time.
Slack water is approx 2hrs after Milford Haven HW and LW.
I have a printout onboard of an old tidal atlas, given to me by the kind gent on the blue yacht next door, (c20? C18?) and a similar one on pdf I can forward on if you pm me.
I'm not down again until Windjammer sort my rudder, damaged by debris in a particularly turbulent access lock, to get the yacht lifted back in.
Chris