Literary Merit.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I also went to a talk he did, and didn't go back after the break... Talk about pompous! I obviously respect all he did in Shoal Waters, but...
I went to his navigation evening classes at Romford back in the 70s [that's half a century ago!o_O]
I also met him a few times on the water. I don't recognise the bloke you describe, but I suppose we all change with the years.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
“A Taste for Sailing” by John Lewis is a nice enjoyable book which includes an account of having a new boat built at Brightlingsea, and cruising Holland in the 60s/70s.

Incidently, is the Dengie so called for Dengue fever?

Yes. A lovely book. Incidentally the “old Norwegian pilot cutter with a blue rubbing strake” on page 186 was actually the bawley “Good Intent”.

ianc1200

Visit site
Reported Good Intent has been in a fairly dire situation lately. A temporary deck was provided so she could be taken somewhere - Faversham? - for a restoration.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
“A Taste for Sailing” by John Lewis is a nice enjoyable book which includes an account of having a new boat built at Brightlingsea, and cruising Holland in the 60s/70s.

I read that book just before we bought our first cruiser at North Fambridge. We found ourselves laid up next to the yawl Dowsabel which featured in the book. At the time she was owned by Mike Peyton, so that was the first time I met him. A memorable weekend!

johnalison

Visit site
Reported Good Intent has been in a fairly dire situation lately. A temporary deck was provided so she could be taken somewhere - Faversham? - for a restoration.
I used to drive past a pub called 'The Good Intent' in Sawbridgeworth. It appears from their website that they longer have the charming sign picturing a woman waving goodbye to her husband as he sails away on a fishing-boat.

Black Diamond

Visit site
I met Charles Stock at the first of the legendary Classic Boat Festivals at Shotley, in 1989. We were there in Natterjack, our little gaff rigged Dockrell 17, so were wild camping on the seawall. Shoal Waters was brought up on the shore, and Charles Stock walked by and noticed we were struggling to make camp on the elephant grass. To our astonishment, he returned moments later with a sickle. Amazing, what they carried in that little boat, a full foot shorter than the boat that we considered too small to live aboard!

I think that was the last time I saw the Good Intent, when she was in good fettle, owned and run as a business by Don Windley. Sorry to hear she's fallen on hard times, but hopefully on the way to restoration.

Kilo

Visit site
Hardly of comparable fame surely? and I think he wrote non fiction did he not? Whereas Gunn is a novelist of major stature.
I read most of his novels when I was young and this thread has inspired me to go and reread them.

One of his I didnt know about then, and found a year or two ago is his story of quitting his job and buying a boat and going off around the western isles before he became a succesful novelist, its exellent!

Treat yourself. Off in a Boat: Amazon.co.uk: Neil M Gunn: Books

That really is a treat at £40....good to though, thanks, maybe nxt Christmas.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Abebooks is an Amazon company...

Yes it is, and has been since 2008, when Amazon bought it, but in practice it acts as an association of independent booksellers. It’s a marketplace rather than a reseller. It certainly acts independently of Amazon in practice. Its card processing and delivery services are separate, and its pricing of secondhand books is very different!

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site

Damn you Habebty. That's another book I have to buy . It's not the money I'm worried about, it's The Old Guvnor giving me grief for bringing yet more books into the house.

She once asked "Do you ever read all these books you buy?"

"Of course I do, my love" I replied.

"Then why don't you get rid of them when you have read them?"

"Er well ..."

johnalison

Visit site
Yes it is, and has been since 2008, when Amazon bought it, but in practice it acts as an association of independent booksellers. It’s a marketplace rather than a reseller. It certainly acts independently of Amazon in practice. Its card processing and delivery services are separate, and its pricing of secondhand books is very different!
Amazon book prices can be weird. I was looking for a bird book a couple of years ago that was out of print. Prices for the paperback varied from about £20 to £250.