Like Piccadilly Circus off the Devon coast today

LBRodders

Visit site
thanks for all the info, so I now know they don't have generators but diesel burning powerstations (hope there are no nuclear powered ones!)
how about waste treatment, anyone knows as it obviously cannot be dumping one gazzilion tons of raw waste in the sea!
Do they recycle fe grey waters and reuse them, where do solids (considering they ARE treating waste!) go and how? etc

Just bear in mind, there will be minimal people onboard, not the thousands as designed.

Reactions: vas

jrudge

Visit site
I did a 3 night one with costa from Marseille - Barcelona- savona - Marseille with my kids and we had a ball.

we had a suite large bathroom with bath ( the suite included The drinks Package so in effect cost nothing ).

I did also cross the Atlantic onthe qe2 which for less than the price of a business class ticket was very civilised.

I would not want to do cruise with lots of stops in the Caribbean for example as the towns there are not great.

in short doses and pre Covid it was pretty good but I have not done much of it. It was simply a floating all inclusive resort.

Hurricane

Visit site
Possibly.

Could also be for turning the shafts to stop them 'sagging', lubricating the shaft seals or possibly ditching fluids and getting 'fresh seawater' on board for watermaking etc.

With ships this size, its easier to keep them 'operational' and at notice for sea than to mothball and then recommission.

I don't think its anything to do with power, you can see them [in NB's video] running diesels [gensets] whilst at anchor, they'll happily do that infinitum.
I thought that most of them these days had pods but your comment still applies.

vas

Visit site
out of curiosity, checked around GR waters and we have 3 or 4 of the MEIN SCHIFF ones (100k GT each...) and a couple more from other companies I guess. Interesting that half of them on marine traffic appear with a status: DRIFTING.
I guess easier to spread them around and get them in protected areas between Athens and Crete.
I do believe that one of the MEIN SCHIFF ones did a cruise a few weeks ago.

Hurricane

Visit site
Judging by the way they are lit up at night (we can see them from our windows too, as we live just below Hurricane) they must be burning a lot of fuel with the generators.
Actually, they look quite special at night.
They all look closer at night.
In the past, in other crises, we have had lots of ships anchored here - at night they "kind of" twinkle.
But these cruise ships light up big time.

vas

Visit site
maybe their power stations need some minimum load to run properly thus they get them in xmas tree mode? BTW, are lights also on in broad daylight (if you have any now...)?

Bajansailor

Visit site
I love how the most voiceferous complaints about cruise ships are usually by those who know not much about them.
Go for a cruise sometime - you might be pleasantly surprised.
Impressed even.
They have state of the art treatment plants for black water, they have scrubbers (that cost millions) in the funnels to clean the exhaust gases, and they have comprehensive recycling programmes, where they most probably recycle a lot more (percentage wise) than most folk on here do at home.
They recycle plastic, cardboard, glass, aluminium and steel cans - glass gets crushed, cans are flattened, cardboard is baled - and it all gets sent ashore. Food waste is ground up and discharged overboard to feed the fish when more than 12 miles offshore.

markc

Visit site
Cruise ships are my idea of hell! Thousands of fat old people visiting identical ports with the same rip off shops. Only what I've heard though as I won't be trying it myself.
I've been on quite a few cruises, from 150 passenger sailing ships to the QM2 and loads in between - it's pointless knocking something that you haven't tried, especially considering that there are so many different ships, with different types of passengers and routes. For example the passengers you get on a 6 star ship cruising the Norwegian Fjords are completely different to the passengers sailing from Miami on a 4 night all inclusive 'party' ship. If you love being on the water and exploring new places (if you have a boat I think this is pretty much a given), then there will be cruises that you'll love and that you'll never be able to do on your own boat, say, cruising around Japan for example.

NathanEllis

Visit site
MARPOL annex 4 says that ships must be outside 12 nautical miles and min speed of 6 knots to discharge black water and 4 miles to discharge grey water, it is possible that in their SMS that their RO plants require them to underway when producing fresh water, this is probably the reason for their weekly jaunt.

Alicatt

Visit site
I love how the most voiceferous complaints about cruise ships are usually by those who know not much about them.
Go for a cruise sometime - you might be pleasantly surprised.
Impressed even.
They have state of the art treatment plants for black water, they have scrubbers (that cost millions) in the funnels to clean the exhaust gases, and they have comprehensive recycling programmes, where they most probably recycle a lot more (percentage wise) than most folk on here do at home.
They recycle plastic, cardboard, glass, aluminium and steel cans - glass gets crushed, cans are flattened, cardboard is baled - and it all gets sent ashore. Food waste is ground up and discharged overboard to feed the fish when more than 12 miles offshore.
Even my friend's container ship had waste treatment for the crew of 25, scrubbers in the flue too and 3 different grades of oil to burn, bunker oil on the high seas which had to be heated before it would flow, a lighter heavy oil that they could use in some territorial waters, and a light diseasel for where there were tighter emission controls like heading into California. He gave my wife and myself a guided tour one of the times he visited Zeebrugge, we got to stay in the owners suite, was nice waking up watching the cranes loading new containers into the hold, they don't take prisoners :)