liferaft valise /cannister choice

alanhanson

Visit site
I have been offered the chance to buy a cannister liferaft identical to my valise, for a fair price, same age 2 years old, 6 man, same make etc & i am sure i can sell my valise for the same price,
what i want to know is there anything i need to consider ie servicing costs , the valise is kept out of the sun in a cockpit locker but during the cruising season the cannister would be permanently mounted on the stern,do i have to consider damp etc.
also if i decide to go for it where is the best place to advertise the valise ? thanks in advance
alan

jamesjermain

Visit site
A cannister is more robust, designed to be mounted on deck and exposed to wind and wave, but is heavier and usually more expensive.

There should be little or no difference in servicing costs except that, being better protected, the cannister might not need so much replacing.

As far as keeping the cannister on the stern, this is not a problem at all, provided it is mounted in the correct manner and aspect. Because of the extrra weight, you have to make sure you can still get it launched quickly - within 30 seconds is recommended.

JJ

G

The one problem with a canister is keeping crew from sitting on it! Part of the seal is a sort of sponge rubber which will suck in air, water etc if it is compressed and then allowed to resume its natural state. The next time somebody sits on it it will squirt some water into the innards.
Otherwise they are far superior to valise, and if mounted properly can be connected to a hydrostatic release unit.