Life raft usage in channel

sb99

Visit site
What is the general consensus of opinion regarding the carrying of life rafts in the Bristol Channel.
I went out on the weekend without one. Took all other precaution such as flares, radio, life jackets, engine checks etc but no life raft. Opinions and other peoples approach appreciated.

Steve

LizzyD

Visit site
I don't own one so it's a bit academic really. I have a view that since the channel has the luxury of two coasts, each with good RNLI cover, that if disaster struck, help would be quick to arrive. I must point out that I don't sail with any reliance on those heros and angels from the RNLI, and always use the "prevention is better than cure" maxim. But if you did get in the hits (anag), then they'd be there pretty sharpish.

If I was going to do any sort of significant distance, such as Ireland or long term cruising, then I'd definitely give serious thought to getting one. The trouble is with boats and associated gear, you can spend thousands and thousands and wonder where to draw the line. Safety kit is a given as far as I'm concerned - except that my budget won't stretch to the £1500 or so I'd need to spend on a life raft. Next year maybe?

Take care all,

Lizzy D

solitaire11

Visit site
noticed you have a inflatable though, we always have a sharp knife stored /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifby transom to cut straps and launch in an emergency.

graham

Visit site
I have never had a liferaft.Sometimes we have the inflatable part blown up lashed on the foredeck mostly we dont.
If you checked out boats less than 30 ft I think the majority would not have a raft.If you reduced that to 25 ft then very few would carry a raft.

bluedragon

Visit site
We carry one on our 27ft yacht, but our cruising ground includes the open water bewteen N.Devon and Milford Haven, and hopefully Ireland. Even in the Channel we feel more comfortable having one, but as Graham says I think the majority of smaller boats don't bother. It's a personal decision in the end, but hit something, have a fire on board, sudden flooding, it's very comforting to have one. We've taken to towing our inflatable in light to moderate conditions (because I can't be bothered pumping it up all the time), and that would be an alternative I suppose.