Let down ny the so called RYA

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
"We are the national governing body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sportsboats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising I must say I don't like ...."
Home | RYA - Royal Yachting Association

What do they mean by "governing body"? They certainly don't govern my yacht cruising activities.

They are the link for Club, National and International competitive sailing.

You wont have a British International/Olympic career without them.

Like the ACU and RAC Motorsports do for motorsport and the Jockey Club do fo equine sport.

For cruising they sometimes make a token effort but normally about as useful as a chocolate fireguard :(

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for the link... but guess what?

There is nothing at all about boating representations to local plans
So, your complaint is that they do not do what you (a non member ) want them to do even though it is not in their remit. These are by your own admission personal interests (which you have not declared here) not necessarily the interests of members of the RYA in general.

This is a planning issue and there is more than enough opportunity for you to express your opinions direct to the planners. Equally the planners are required by law to consider environmental issues along with those of the local community so not surprising the other bodies you mention are active at this stage. I expect local sailing interests such as clubs and other providers of boating services also have a legitimate interest and will be contributing - although their views may well not be the same as yours!

Methinks you complain too much about something you have a personal beef about.

Poignard

Visit site
They are the link for Club, National and International competitive sailing.

You wont have a British International/Olympic career without them.

Like the ACU and RAC Motorsports do for motorsport and the Jockey Club do fo equine sport.

For cruising they sometimes make a token effort but normally about as useful as a chocolate fireguard :(
It's the "governing" bit I don't like being applied to yacht cruising.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Which is why putting it in the hands of a private members' club is not, perhaps, ideal. Still, at least the RYA don't have a monopoly on ICCs, since the BSAC can also do them. Didn't the CA issue them as well at one time?
The Admiralty passed the remit to examen Coastal Skippers to the Board of Trade in 1938. This was subsequently passed to the RYA in 1973. Who to this day operate on behalf of the Department of Transport. That's the history.

The RYA is not a private members club. It is open to anyone and you do most definitely not have to be a member to be trained or examined in any aspect of the Cruising Scheme. Of which the ICC is a small part and used as a comparison to Jumblys dodgy tickets. ?

As I see it, there are two ways to deal with this. You could lobby your MP to ask a Question as to why one government appointed organisation has been the authorised body for nearly fifty years and recommend how they can find something more suitable.

Or, in the modern vernacular, 'suck it up'. ?

I would be very interested to any other options. ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The RYA is not a private members club. It is open to anyone ...

Yes, anyone can be a member. Of the private members' club.

and you do most definitely not have to be a member to be trained or examined in any aspect of the Cruising Scheme. Of which the ICC is a small part and used as a comparison to Jumblys dodgy tickets.

Since RYA "qualifications", except perhaps YM, are not accredited by anyone or accepted abroad (which is why they have to issue ICCs), do they count as "dodgy tickets" too?

As I see it, there are two ways to deal with this. You could lobby your MP to ask a Question as to why one government appointed organisation has been the authorised body for nearly fifty years and recommend how they can find something more suitable.

No need to do that as long as they behave themselves.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
The British titles now valid for sailing in Spain are as follows: RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence; RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence; RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence; RYA Day Skipper; RYA Powerboat Level 2; RYA International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft (ICC).

As an example of one country. My own title is valid globally and I've used it professionally in many countries. As you do.

I'm not sure this 'private' bit is working for an association that's not a club that's open to everyone. ?

Caraway

Visit site

Capt Popeye

Visit site
How the RYA get to call themselves Royal?

Are any Royals interested in sailing these days? Princess Anne maybe? Perhaps if she got fed up with them she could get them de-Royaled.

I understand that the late Duke of Edinburgh arranged that they became The Royal Yaching Association when he (the Duke) was active in yacht racing

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm not sure this 'private' bit is working for an association that's not a club that's open to everyone. ?
What else do you call something which has members?

Please don't get me wrong. I don't object to the existence of the RYA any more than I object to the existence of the Scout Association, and if people want to get RYA badges, why not? I had my librarian badge in the Scouts.

Where I do object is when they claim to the governing body for yacht cruising, and when, claiming to represent all sailors, they do us harm. See their recent decision to roll over and have their tummies tickled re Studland. Perhaps they came over all faint at the sight of Olympic funding.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Anyone can run a training scheme in anything and issue a certificate. The YM and ICC business is more worrying.

Well following on from another thread being posted; I understand that some RYA Certifiates or Courses are being run by various independent companies and clubs under the guise of being RYA certificated ; strangely the Certificates are not recorded (as i understand it) by the RYA but by the issuing Club or Company

please see how do i get a copy of my RYA certificate

Tranona

Visit site
Well following on from another thread being posted; I understand that some RYA Certifiates or Courses are being run by various independent companies and clubs under the guise of being RYA certificated ; strangely the Certificates are not recorded (as i understand it) by the RYA but by the issuing Club or Company

You are barking up the wrong tree here. Nothing has changed. While the syllabus and certification is from the RYA, the delivery of training courses and examination for certificates has always been carried out by third parties - clubs, sailing schools, private examiners, the armed forces and so on. All working to the RYA standards and approved by them. Sensible for the examiner to issue the certificates as no-one at the RYA is directly involved in the examination. Examiners and approved schools etc are regularly monitored by the RYA and have to account for the certificates they issue. One of the several RYA examiners like capnsensible on this forum might see this and explain a bit further if you are confused!

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Ah, not an Examiner. That's John Morris!

But Ive been using my RYA qualifications, like so many others, in a professional career capacity for a couple of decades.

Unfortunately I didn't ever get my Boy Scout Librarian Badge or for sure, by now I would have been an Inter Galactic Starship Commnder.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com

The Yacht Racing Association was founded in November 1875.[3] Its initial purpose was to standardize the rules of measurement to different racing yachts so that boats of different classes could compete fairly against each other.[4] Membership at the time cost two guineas and was available to "former and present owners of racing yachts of and above 10 tons Thames measurement and such other gentlemen as the committee may elect".

In 1921 the YRA incorporated the independent Sailing Boat Association and the Boat Racing Association into its body. In 1952 the YRA became the Royal Yachting Association (RYA).[5]

The RYA remains constituted as a membership association, with a Council of elected volunteers as its supreme policy-making body. It publishes over 110 maritime titles that are regarded internationally and is translated into more than 20 foreign languages.

It's been interesting looking back on these things and helping people with their occasionally somewhat prejudiced ideas about what goes on.

I may have quoted the wrong post from you......the Duke one.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You are barking up the wrong tree here. Nothing has changed. While the syllabus and certification is from the RYA, the delivery of training courses and examination for certificates has always been carried out by third parties - clubs, sailing schools, private examiners, the armed forces and so on. All working to the RYA standards and approved by them. Sensible for the examiner to issue the certificates as no-one at the RYA is directly involved in the examination.

So far so good.

[/quote]Examiners and approved schools etc are regularly monitored by the RYA and have to account for the certificates they issue.
[/QUOTE]

But it's beyond the RYA to keep any record of certificate issued in their name?

pvb

Visit site
The RYA is a limited company. It only has about £21 million income, and more than half of that comes from subscriptions and Government grants. To run this business, they spend about £6 million in staff costs, including two directors , the higher paid of which was given around £200K in 2019-20. There's a defined benefit pension scheme (the type most companies can no longer afford) which is about £0.5 million in deficit. There's also a defined contribution pension scheme. It's not an especially inspiring company.