Let down ny the so called RYA

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I suspect that's the clue. The meaningful qualifications like ICCs or Instructor Quals they have a record of. The Day Skippers/Yachtmasters/Comp Crew etc they don't record. On reflection that seems reasonable. (Although a bit silly commercially - you'd think they'd maintain some kind of pretence to justify the time and money people invest, just to encourage people to buy courses.)
Again this changed for most in 2011. Prior to that we always warned people that there is no record held at the RYA for un numbered certs.
Personally I'm ok with looking after stuff like that. Car keys seem to be a bigger snag.

ctva

Visit site
Again this changed for most in 2011. Prior to that we always warned people that there is no record held at the RYA for un numbered certs.
Personally I'm ok with looking after stuff like that. Car keys seem to be a bigger snag.
Head, brick wall, bang... :rolleyes:

Mark-1

Visit site
Prior to that we always warned people that there is no record held at the RYA for un numbered certs.

Yup, and people can draw their own conclusions from that fact.

"Spend a week of your life doing a course, it's less valuable than your car keys, and if you can't be bothered, we'll give you the certificate if you send us a JPEG of a certificate."

"Buy our product, it's worthless so we never need to verify you did it."

(I should be in advertising.)

?

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Lets get back to that 200k a year job. I notice that there is now a replacement for the head cheese. A lady from a events company who has sailed and raced all her life. I wonder why they cant promote from within ? Is everyone else no good ?Why do these kind of jobs always seem to be filled from outside the discipline. Hang on, I'm just getting an alarm from my watch showing an abnormally high heart rate .

I think the RYA do a reasonable job and produce excellent books but I still can't quite understand where their opposition comes from and why so high a salary compared to the foot soldiers. Perhaps The Captain can explain and estimate the market share of yacht training other organisations have and who they might be . I thought the RYA was the only player in town but perhaps I need some education which I would genuinely be interested in.

I also tried to get copies of previous courses but was unable to obtain. Like many, I would have been very happy to pay for the work required. I wonder how many people contact the DVLA for copies.

Poignard

Visit site
Lets get back to that 200k a year job. I notice that there is now a replacement for the head cheese. A lady from a events company who has sailed and raced all her life. I wonder why they cant promote from within ? Is everyone else no good ?Why do these kind of jobs always seem to be filled from outside the discipline. Hang on, I'm just getting an alarm from my watch showing an abnormally high heart rate .

I think the RYA do a reasonable job and produce excellent books but I still can't quite understand where their opposition comes from and why so high a salary , Perhaps The Captain can explain and estimate the market share of yacht training other organisations have and who they might be . I thought the RYA was the only player in town but perhaps I need some education which I would genuinely be interested in.

I also tried to get copies of previous courses but was unable to obtain. Like many, I would have been very happy to pay for the work required. I wonder how many people contact the DVLA for copies.
The RYA booklets are very good and Dick Everitt deserves great credit for his superb illustrations.

D

Deleted member 36384

They gave warm support to various marina proposals in the late 80s, remarkably soon after receiving substantial financial support from Marina Developments Ltd. As I recall, they also warm supported the marina at Craobh, despite strong opposition from the west coast sailing community.

Yet demand over the years suggest such a facility is wanted, hence “the west coast sailing community” could be considered unrepresentative of sailors that use such facilities and even worse, think they represent my views. Marinas on the West coast actually represent an efficient use of space, which by now, would be rammed with moorings for a select few, if Craobh did not exist. There should be many more marina facilities on the West Coast and moorings removed from some bays.

The RYA are not perfect but as an organization they have lobbied to keep sailing free from compulsory licensing and certification, which has benefited many non RYA members. I do think they live in a bubble of their own making and just cant see outside it and could do with a review of their remit: less focus on racing, the Olympics, more focus on access to sailing, affordability and community benefits;

I think the MCA should actively encourage other training schemes to be recognized as competition to the RYA monopoly. However, others have had their scenes recognized by the MCA e.g. IYT Recreational Yacht Training Courses | IYT Worldwide but I am not sure they are still recognized by MCA.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I notice that there is now a replacement for the head cheese. A lady from a events company who has sailed and raced all her life. I wonder why they cant promote from within ? Is everyone else no good ?Why do these kind of jobs always seem to be filled from outside the discipline.
One argument could be that promoting from within could be construed as jobs for the boys.
Hopefully, bringing new blood in can innovate change, or is that a dream?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Yup, and people can draw their own conclusions from that fact.

"Spend a week of your life doing a course, it's less valuable than your car keys, and if you can't be bothered, we'll give you the certificate if you send us a JPEG of a certificate."

"Buy our product, it's worthless so we never need to verify you did it."

(I should be in advertising.)

?
Perhaps those with that kind of mind could. It's more like you have spent a week of your life doing a course now man up and you look after your certificate and disengage from the blame culture and take responsibility for your own actions.

I should be Prime Minister.

Mark-1

Visit site
One argument could be that promoting from within could be construed as jobs for the boys.
Hopefully, bringing new blood in can innovate change, or is that a dream?

Yeah, companies seem to tend to recruit CEOs externally. Not sure if it's good or bad but it's seems fairly typical.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yet demand over the years suggest such a facility is wanted, hence “the west coast sailing community” could be considered unrepresentative of sailors that use such facilities and even worse, think they represent my views. Marinas on the West coast actually represent an efficient use of space, which by now, would be rammed with moorings for a select few, if Craobh did not exist.
Possibly, though on the whole I don't think the people who leave boats in marinas for 350+ days per year are likely to see a swining mooring as a viable alternative. My point was that the RYA has a track record of getting involed in planning cases.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
The RYA booklets are very good and Dick Everitt deserves great credit for his superb illustrations.
He's good isn't he. Very easy for beginners to understand on the training courses .

His sketch books are classics. I've often wondered if the content is his or ideas from others. Probably both.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
A tautology for starters ... quango = quasi autonomous national government organisation

quasi independent = quasi autonomous

And inaccurate too since the RYA is not funded by government nor are its senior executives appointed by government (the two defining features of a quango)
It is not directly funded by the government but receives substantial state funds for specific initiatives, eg, the olympics. The RYA claims that it is the governing body of yachting. It was forced to change the governing arrangements so that Directors comply with Government requirements to receive public money and it did. My comment may be technically a tautology, but in practice that’s what the RYA has become.

Tranona

Visit site
I think the MCA should actively encourage other training schemes to be recognized as competition to the RYA monopoly. However, others have had their scenes recognized by the MCA e.g. IYT Recreational Yacht Training Courses | IYT Worldwide but I am not sure they are still recognized by MCA.

Don't think they ever were and if I remember rightly they lost a case for trying to use the term "Yachtmaster". Note they have no presence in the UK, although they do have an office in Ireland.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I was managing a Recognised Training Centre in Gibraltar when the IYT stuff kicked off. The relevance of that being we were one of the few overseas school. We got marginally involved, because of that, with the trademarking of Yachtmaster.

It was an interesting argument and absolutely no way in gonna breach trust on that on a public forum. The upshot was, however, the global expansion of RYA training centres being recognised and to the huge success it has now. Although not what some want to hear.

I cant say for right now but my contacts that are fading in the Superyacht world were really not interested in people who had qualified through their scheme and wanted RYA graduates almost exclusively. Such is the regard those outside the tent hold it. That may have changed of course, but I doubt it.

It's quite right that people should grumble about the RYA. Better still if they go direct and express their concerns. Dont think much will happen otherwise from the sneers and moans on here.

Same old, if you really want to do something about complaints, go direct. Drippin on the sidelines is unlikely to change a thing.....in my opinion!

Tranona

Visit site
Yup still recognized - they've been issuing valid MCA ICCs for as long as I can remember and still are.
When you actually look at what they offer in the way of an ICC it is very limited. For example it is not accepted by countries that are signatories to Res 40 and many of the popular charter companies and countries do not have their qualifications (including ICC certificates ) on their approved lists. The UK connection is largely meaningless as what UK citizen would choose their ICC rather than one issued by the UK government through the RYA?