Les Powles - Solitaire. Update please.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Hi all. I'd like to meet Les, but Lymington Yacht Haven can't give his details out due to GDPR. Is there any way anyone knows of getting a hold of him please? I can message you on here of email if you prefer.
If you're there at present, you can always put an envelope with his name on in the incoming mail.

MickeyP

Visit site
I am pretty sure he went into sheltered accommodation as the boat was no longer suitable for him to live on. He was my neighbour in Lymington Yacht Haven in 2018/19 but we took the boat to France for a couple of years & have just returned to Lymington. His boat is no longer where it was but I will ask when I am back down at the weekend.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I am pretty sure he went into sheltered accommodation as the boat was no longer suitable for him to live on. He was my neighbour in Lymington Yacht Haven in 2018/19 but we took the boat to France for a couple of years & have just returned to Lymington. His boat is no longer where it was but I will ask when I am back down at the weekend.
Solitaire is out of the water on the hard at Yachthaven. Les went to live in Belmore Nursing Home about 3 years ago, visited him about 2 years ago and he was well but pretty fed up and missing Solitaire. We had moved to Ireland but am back living in UK now and this thread reminds me i must call to see how he is.

wully1

Visit site
We were pleased to meet him in Lymington a few years ago on our delivery trip home. It’s not often you get to meet someone who inspired you through their writing of their achievements.
He is a lovely, warm , modest gentleman. I wish I could have spent more time in his company.

Wandering Star

Visit site
An update - though not much of one! Swung into the nursing home this morning to visit Les but owing to Covid, it isn’t possible to meet residents without prior arrangement. However the Matron told me he’s fine and she’’d speak to Les to arrange a meeting. She’s calling me back tomorrow with a date/time. Do you know, I think he must be about 94 years old - a remarkable & very affable chap.

burgundyben

Visit site
I've just finished reading Solitaire Spirit, Les finishes with

"I celebrated my 86th birthday on October 24th 2011. But I'm still very pig-headed. If I make up my mind to do something, then you would have to cut my legs off to stop me. I'm an Englishman, for God's sake. You know what the English are like - if you say they can't do something, they will bloody well go and do it!"

Its a great book to read.