Les Powles - Solitaire. Update please.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
I have just finished reading Les's book - Solitaire Spirit. I was enthralled and amazed the whole way through. What a man!

BUT, having not known of him until getting his book I wonder if Les is/was the man who went missing from his "free berth" in Lymington Marina?
I caught a short news flash some weeks (months?) ago, and now wonder if Les tragically met his end.

Any information would be gratefully received.

I tried "googling" Les Prowles, but nothing came up.

Many thanks

richardsn9

Visit site
Solitaire was still sitting in her usual berth in Lymington last week, and there were a couple of people chatting in the cockpit, although I was not close enough to confirm if one was Les.

Robert Wilson

Visit site
Thanks. Sounds encouraging

I seem to remember the news report was that "an old sailor who had a boat in Lymington" had gone missing and after an extensive search had been found in the water, deceased. Having not heard of him until reading his book I didn't particularly take note of the report or the victim's name, but I'm sure it mentioned a "very accomplished and well-known sailor". I also think I heard reference to a "free birth for life" afforded by the marina.
Both points relate most significantly to Les Prowles.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I saw Solitaire a few weeks back after a walk around Lymington (top end of the marina). I actually went down with the thought of leaving him a birthday card as i'm sure it's around this time. The book has really struck a chord with me, having roots on the Midlands, love of boats and escapism. However I didn't ask at the marina or leave a note as I doubt he'll want to be bothered. It was nice seeing the boat

I did wonder if he was still on the boat or if he's moved into a care home or to a better place. I would be interested to know how he's getting on.

I must re-read the book.

Wandering Star

Visit site
Fairly sure Les is still around. We see less of him these days due to our move to Ireland but still exchange Christmas cards. He's an amazing fellow with plenty of friends. After the episode which earned him a lifetime free berth in The Yachthaven, he was hospitalised and my wife was one of his nurses - she told me about him and I visited him and we've remained friends ever since. There was a coincidence that we used to live in Wallasey, Merseyside, and without knowing Les at all, i often popped into the shed on Four Bridges where he was building Solitaire to follow progress of the build, we exchanged polite conversation, but I never really got to know him until his return to Lymington - looking like a skeleton!

Last edited:

Robert Wilson

Visit site

PHEW! That must be the report I picked-up on. A few coincidences, but thankfully a false trail.

Many thanks.

Fairly sure Les is still around. We see less of him these days due to our move to Ireland but still exchange Christmas cards. He's an amazing fellow with plenty of friends. After the episode which earned him a lifetime free berth in The Yachthaven, he was hospitalised and my wife was one of his nurses - she told me about him and I visited him and we've remained friends ever since. There was a coincidence that we used to live in Wallasey, Merseyside, and without knowing Les at all, i often popped into the shed on Four Bridges where he was building Solitaire to follow progress of the build, we exchanged polite conversation, but I never really got to know him until his return to Lymington - looking like a skeleton!

Thanks also.
He must be a fair age nowadays, around 96 I think, and given his bouts of ill health it's just in his character that he may well be still battling-on.
Amazing man, amazing story - and all started by building his own boat and 8 hours of sailing before setting-off.

A man of extreme determination.

Good luck to him

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I spent a few years in Larnaka Cyprus. Les also used it as his base for a year or two. I remember one day he came up to me and started laughing for apparently no reason. I asked him what was so funny. He said it was something I said a few days ago. I had to think. That was four days ago at least. I recalled what I said at that time. I was standing on the pontoon at the bows of my boat. I was shouting instructions to my wife who I had hoisted up the mast in the bosun's chair. As he walked past he remarked that he wished he had a wife to send up the mast. I answered him, still looking up the mast, that it had its disadvantages. While she is up there, she is not cooking and I am getting hungry.

At that time if, I remember correctly, he just looked at me and walked on. the later visit where he just approached me and started laughing was probably a delayed decision which kind of explained why he was able to circumnavigate the planet THREE times. Think things through carefully he always said.

wully1

Visit site
I had the privilege of meeting him when we stopped in Lymington while delivering our new boat home in March/ April. Lovely bloke and his books are a great read.

I hope he's still going strong.

Babylon

Visit site
Think, think and think again. Then before doing think again.

I'm still on the sofa!!

Good book, met him briefly a year or so back as we were berthed for the night near Solitaire.

Some years ago - having read all the greats from Slocum through Smeaton, Rose, Moitessier, et al - I decided that I'm quite happy with just a fair dose each summer of coastal sailing!

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I'd not read Solitaire Spirit, so thanks to the reference on this thread I'm now half way through it & enjoying it very much.

Wandering Star

Visit site
His first book was called "hands open" but it went out of print quite a few years ago. Les had a battle with the publishers who declined to re-publish it or to release their ownership of the book back to Les. Solitaire Spirit was based on the original book plus updated with his later exploits.

Wandering Star

Visit site
Sorry for re-incarnating an old thread, but an update for anyone interested.

We didnt receive the usual Christmas card and news update last December so whilst visiting Lymngton this week, I called to see him. Les suffered a stroke last October and has moved ashore i to a very nice Nursing Home, also in Lymington. He looks very well for a 94 year old but his mobility is poor. His wit and charm are still 100% and he knew who I was instantly so his faculties are still all there. Not too happy to be in a NH but accepting of the fact!

By coincidence, there’s an article on Les in the March issue of Yachting World written by Tom Cunliffe.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Thanks Brian.

Was thinking about him the other day - never met him but enjoyed his book.

Sorry for re-incarnating an old thread, but an update for anyone interested.

We didnt receive the usual Christmas card and news update last December so whilst visiting Lymngton this week, I called to see him. Les suffered a stroke last October and has moved ashore i to a very nice Nursing Home, also in Lymington. He looks very well for a 94 year old but his mobility is poor. His wit and charm are still 100% and he knew who I was instantly so his faculties are still all there. Not too happy to be in a NH but accepting of the fact!

By coincidence, there’s an article on Les in the March issue of Yachting World written by Tom Cunliffe.

Spuddy

Visit site
I enjoyed his book enormously. How many thousands of miles did he sail while eating an eggcup of rice flavoured with toothpaste?
Must read it again.

wully1

Visit site
We were lucky enough to meet him 2 years ago when delivering our boat home and I was thrilled to meet one of my sailing hero’s. I feel privileged to have spent time talking with him.

His books are inspirational.

Sad to learn he’s poorly.

michaels0510

Visit site
Hi all. I'd like to meet Les, but Lymington Yacht Haven can't give his details out due to GDPR. Is there any way anyone knows of getting a hold of him please? I can message you on here of email if you prefer.