Lemar epsilon/delta pics

doug748

Visit site
In case it has been missed, the guru in chief has tested a 40lb stainless Epsion and his findings are here:

In another place this has been interpreted as proof the anchor is not so hot. I think it looks fine, resets generally ok and has a fair holding. Price and availability are excellent.

PS

It is also quite short in length, as demonstrated by Rappey's photos, which is great if you want to get it off the deck and into a small anchor locker.

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Yep, the usual crowd don't come here. Let us know if you find the new anchor usefully better than the Delta.

You would be surprised who frequents these corridors?

Anyway any one with a iota of interest in serious racing would never, ever, allow an Epsilon (or anything like, or even unlike) near their yacht - its all about weight and you can save so much, weight, with a Fortress.

I don't have any doubt - the Epsilon will be better (for a start its bigger, why not go for the same size as the Delta (not being critical - just why?, good move to replace the Delta - not quite sure you do with an old Delta :( - there are going to be a lot of them. I'm becoming less enamoured with the Panope summations

Not too sure I'm excited about the stainless shackle, securing Epsilon to chain :) Now that I look again - you are prompted to the upgrade because you are worried about the weakness of the Delta's perforated shank :( -

Jonathan

Quandary

Visit site
Okay, Rappey, the photos are fine but next it is your duty to wait for a blow find an exposed spot and try it overnight, then report back, verbally will do if the boat is bouncing too much for pics.

Neeves

Visit site
And sorry Rappey,

If you don't mind, when you report back - can you define yacht, with its characteristics/specification and rode details, scope, chain length deployed and chain size. Your approximation on average wind speed, gusts and chop.

I'm not expecting underwater photographs.

I'd happily accept as an excuse a surfeit of decent malt.

Thank you for the pics - I have not seen one yet. I do note your comment that is has a short shank.

On a more serious note:

There appears to be a hole at the rear of the shank/fluke interface (crown) just above the fluke and in the rear part of the convex section and possibly another (sort off matching) hole at the front of the same convex section near the toe. Are they drainage holes?

Good luck,

Jonathan

Rappey

Visit site
Are they drainage holes?
I do believe they are drainage holes ..
I do agree that the epsilon should have been a 16kg as I have taken note of what you have said in the past about over sizing with a modern hybrid.
Now confession time. It's my friends boat. I uploaded the pics as
I live in his house and his boat has been outside on the pontoon for most of the lockdown so we have added a new wind generator, replaced hydraulic steering, replaced headlining and a whole load of repairs and upgrades, which alleviated the lockdown boredom ?.
The boat is a rustler 36. He's only had it a year but has spent nights at anchor with the delta.
He was sailing to Italy in may but looks that that will not happen now. Sounds like he will be sailing for a few months around the uk so will be plenty of opportunity for anchor reports.
I have a Bruce so I don't really anchor. I was very keen on the epsilon due to price and thought it can only be better than a delta and still may end up buying a 16kg for my 12 ton boat..

Neeves

Visit site
If those are drainage holes that suggests the convex portion is hollow and may collect mud, and mud in an enclosed space is going to be damp and potentially cause corrosion. I'd pay particular attention to wash those holes with fresh water under pressure, when ever possible (every time you wash the deck). I'd not be paranoid - I'd just fit it into the routine.

Reading the newspaper of life in the UK over the last months you are lucky to have had regular access to the yacht - and have made good use of the time. You both have something positive to show for the inconvenience of lock downs. Sailing here was never curtailed, there were restrictions as marinas were closed and non-family company not entertained - but if you had your yacht on a swing mooring and had free access to your dinghy - sailing was almost encouraged. We simply abandoned straying too far and have sailed all through the pandemic

I have confidence in Lewmar and I don't think the Epsilon will let you down - My view is not how it will disappoint but how good will it really be. I think in a few months time you will be quietly saying ' we could have had a decent bottle of malt for the extra and unnecessary money we spent buying the 20kg, rather than the 16kg model'. :). I don't think, if you were able to compare, you would notice the difference between 16kg and 20kg (until you need to retrieve by hand :( )

Enjoy

Take care, stay safe,

Jonathan

doug748

Visit site
I believe those holes are needed to open up the void for galvanizing, both to prevent problems with closed sections in the zinc bath and to allow the melt to enter. The stainless version in the video does not seem to have them.

I have one of these anchors and have swished Waxoil through it.

Neeves

Visit site
No-one has mentioned the roll bar. Does it come with the anchor, or do you pay extra. Has anyone tried, with/without on the quayside to identify what difference it makes.

Doug - your comment on galvanising is valid. Waxoil is a really good idea. I recall the negative anecdotal comment on the interior of the Spade shank in terms of corrosion though never seen it.-

Rappey's second picture is really good - it shows they have continued the Delta shank almost exactly - except its shorter.

Jonathan

Amlov

Visit site
There is a slight problem with the shorter shaft. This is that when the anchor pivots from horizontal to vertical, the sharp pointy bit is higher up than with the Delta. As a result it can hit the bow whereas the Delta missed it.
9AD3F690-F11D-42AF-B0C6-C8BAB87ADCF7.jpeg

Neeves

Visit site
Amlov, I was thinking of your comment - plumb bows are quite common now and the problem you describe is going to be a real issue. I know some yachts have extended bow rollers, of some design or other, but that is not the case with all. If the anchor turns out to be as good as hoped then the need to add a sheet of protective stainless will discourage people from buying. There is little point in an attractively priced anchor if you need to spend to protect the gel coat. I note you have added something - I assume until you find a long term solution.

Jonathan

MapisM

Visit site
Amlov, I was thinking of your comment - plumb bows are quite common now and the problem you describe is going to be a real issue.
I'm struggling with your reasoning. If there's a situation where the shaft length is irrelevant, that's with plumb bows, methink. :unsure:

MapisM

Visit site
Or are we talking at cross purposes?
Possibly.
The reasons why the ground tackle design is a bit more critical with plumb bows is pretty clear, and rather obvious.
But the fact that Amlov pointed out, i.e. that you must pull more chain before the anchor tip moves forward due to the shorter shaft - hence possibly interfering with the bow, where a same size Delta previously didn't - is only true with NON plumb bows.
I mean, with a plumb bow the anchor tip has the same chances to touch the hull at any heigth, regardless of the shaft length.

Last edited:

Amlov

Visit site
Possibly.
The reasons why the ground tackle design is a bit more critical with plumb bows is pretty clear, and rather obvious.
But the fact that Amlov pointed out, i.e. that you must pull more chain before the anchor tip moves forward due to the shorter shaft - hence possibly interfering with the bow, where a same size Delta previously didn't - is only true with NON plumb bows.
I mean, with a plumb bow the anchor tip has the same chances to touch the hull at any heigth, regardless of the shaft length.

Exactly!

The only easy way round it would be to extend the roller forward in some form. This was essentially what Lewmar said when I questioned it with them.

As moving the bow roller forward would be a bit of a faff, I have decided to return the Epsilon. I would add that this decision was made slightly easier by the video report posted by Panope. At the moment I have the trusty Delta back on the bow and I am busy making cardboard Spade anchors.

Neeves

Visit site
My recommendation was going to be make an MDF anchor, but Amlov beat me to it.

I suspect on new yachts the bow roller will protrude to accept the Epsilon, either permanently or one of those fold away rollers.

Current yachts will need to modify or buy a different anchor.

Jonathan

robmcg

Visit site
Any feedback yet on the Epsilon performance? There seems to be a general lack of user feedback on this anchor out there on the web. I do wonder if the Panope review sort of dented purchaser confidence as it is the first and really only major review that Google spits out. Have been looking out for any boats sporting one on their bow roller but have yet to see one. It all seems to be Rocna around here ?.