Leigh on Sea and lots of Essex mud

Bigplumbs

Visit site
having looked at Brightlingsea the other day we thought we would try Leigh on Sea and in particular Old Leigh

What a lovely place full of contrast and lovely places to eat (we had chips :))

We were amazed how far the tide goes out. There is a channel but it must be quite hard boating here and not good if you get the tide wrong

lovely place to visit though and loads of sea food in good old Essex style

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I did fancy a tub of cockles but as one old boy once said to me and I quote 'They put a road right through me'

tillergirl

Visit site
Absolutely! Conception, birth and launching of TG at Seacraft of Old Leigh. I believe she had been designed to live on a drying mooring at Thorpe Bay just a little bit up to the East. You would have walked past the place once there.

Attachments

• Opening Image1.jpg
    Opening Image1.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 71

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Absolutely! Conception, birth and launching of TG at Seacraft of Old Leigh. I believe she had been designed to live on a drying mooring at Thorpe Bay just a little bit up to the East. You would have walked past the place once there.

Very nice craft. I am more of an engine bloke. Never know what to do with the sticking up thing and all the flapping stuff :)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Having got a Work Project I tend to visit each month at Leigh I have now been their about 8 times..... Never once have I been there and the tide is properly in..... I am starting to wonder if this ever happens

Juan Twothree

Visit site
Having got a Work Project I tend to visit each month at Leigh I have now been their about 8 times..... Never once have I been there and the tide is properly in..... I am starting to wonder if this ever happens

Each month, you say........

Around every four weeks then?

And around the same time of day, perchance?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Each month, you say........

Around every four weeks then?

And around the same time of day, perchance?

I know what you are thinking but no.......... Monthly is a broad term here and it can be 4 - 6 weekly and no not at the same time of day...... I think old Leigh is so nice I would like to see it with the tide in. I have a few more visits to make so here's hoping

Juan Twothree

Visit site
A slight digression, but not totally unrelated.....

Last summer, I happened to be at the lifeboat station when a very angry lady came up the beach and demanded to know where all the water had gone!

She'd brought her children to this exact same spot this time last week, and the water had been right at the top of the beach. Whereas now it was but a glint on the distant horizon, and it had completely ruined their day out to the seaside.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
A slight digression, but not totally unrelated.....

Last summer, I happened to be at the lifeboat station when a very angry lady came up the beach and demanded to know where all the water had gone!

She'd brought her children to this exact same spot this time last week, and the water had been right at the top of the beach. Whereas now it was but a glint on the distant horizon, and it had completely ruined their day out to the seaside.

Well of course it was you........ You should have pointed at the moon and told her it was the Clangers that were to Blame........ Even Joey Essex would not fall for that one............................. Not

Last edited:

steve yates

Visit site
Yeah, the tide does come in and it looks great :) Great pubs in old leigh, best one is the crooked billet, but when the tide is in the deck out the back of the boathouse is a great spot, or the outside tables at the side of the peterboat.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Yeah, the tide does come in and it looks great :) Great pubs in old leigh, best one is the crooked billet, but when the tide is in the deck out the back of the boathouse is a great spot, or the outside tables at the side of the peterboat.

Yes looked at those Pubs today.... When we start going in Pubs again which will be a good while yet might give one of them a go when down there in the Summer

MoodySabre

Visit site
I did fancy a tub of cockles but as one old boy once said to me and I quote 'They put a road right through me'
We grew up on them as did my kids. More recently we lived for 20 years overlooking the mud and the tide. The light on the mud was beautiful and my favourite was half-tide when the channels had filled but not overflowed.