Legend 356

Solwaycruiser

Visit site
Did anyone at the boat show look at the new legend 356? If so what was the opinion of it and whats the quality/finish like? This boat seems a touch heavier (on paper) than some other legends, are they moving towards heavier displacement than before? What are the thoughts on these boats in general? I haven't looked at these boats before but now that they offer twin keels would like to hear some opinions on them. Any replies appreciated.

davidhand

Visit site
I assume you mean the boat thats marketed here (in the States) as the Hunter Legend. I have not sailed on that one in particular but have leased other Hunters. They are considered 'good value' similar to Catalina a relatively inexpensive boat that offers a fair amount for the money. They are OK for San Francisco Bay (which is pretty windy) and a bit of coastal work, but if I was going far offshore I would rather take the same amount of money and buy an older quality boat.

iangrant

Visit site
This may upset a few people but there is a boatyard on the South Coast that no will no longer lift out any Legende, since one "split" -- OOPS --.

I feel a duty to inform, draw your own conclusions from this.

Ian

robp

Visit site
Not true about Catalinas. They are heavy and have been described in several press reviews as Blue Water Cruisers. Talking 36's and up.

davidhand

Visit site
Mabe you'r right, I would rather have a Catalina than a Hunter. However a commonly held view around the San Francisco Bay yacht clubs is Catalinas are good value, great for the bay and a little coastal work, but don't take one to Hawaii. If you want a quality US boat look at Pacific Seacraft your own Nigel Calder got one of those babies. Expensive though.

robp

Visit site
Yes, I guess compared with other heavy American boats like Pacific Seacraft and Island Packets, they would seem "production". I had a 36 II though and liked it. Rather too roomy in cockpit and saloon though.

BR

Rob

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Rig oddity

Sailed one once, on the Clyde. Don't know which model.

Remember not liking the rig (do they call it Bergstrom?). Couldn't get the forestay tight enough to point well going into a good breeze, and couldn't get the main to square away very far off the wind.

The fact that no other production builder has adopted this rig must say something.

Solwaycruiser

Visit site
Re: Rig oddity

Interesting comment about the forestay tension and considering the tension it takes on my masthead westerly's rig to stop the roller genoa falling off to leeward when on the wind I see your point. All things considered I think I am beter off sticking with my westerly.

robp

Visit site
Re: Rig oddity

We were on Catalinas at this point? Mine was regular sloop, all stays present and correct.

Rob