legend 34

G

New "Legends" are all very well but has anyone any information about a Legend 34 - designed by Van de Stadt, moulded by Tufglas - early 80s? I tried the designers themselves but they had no free info but could provide technical plans at unrealistic expense (£hundreds). There are no write ups available through the YM copy Service. Any help would be greatfully received. Thanks.

G

If a seaarch on yahoo or goggle(?) fails to provide anything, look in the back of an old PBO / YM. There used to be an advert. for a series of books which gave basic details and drawing/photo/plans of hundreds of boats.
I doubt if the Hunter site will be able to help as I do not think they produced them. Simon Jinks (a regular) or James Jermain are extremely knowledgeable.

G

Thanks for the suggestion. Google yielded one reference, a sailing school in the NE which had some details on their web site.

jamesjermain

Visit site
I'm afraid you give me undue credit. The only Legend I can put a finger on is the 29. It was designed by Van De Stadt in about 1969 as a cruiser racer and almost certainly moulded by Tylers and fitted out by Burns Shipyard. It was developed from Tyler's successful Splinter class.
I have no details on the Legend 34 thyough I have a vague picture of a chunk boat with a square coachroof and pinched in quarters

JJ

simonjinks

Visit site
I too do not know much about them but here are the bits i do. They are a masthead rig with skeg hung rudder so fairly bullet proof in some respects. I think they were originally moulded by Tylers but may have changed moulders later on. For a while B.J.Marine in Dublin produced two versions, a normal cruising version with 4'7" draught, 610 sq ft of sail and a 35 hp BMW engine and a racing version with a taller rig, 5'7" draught and lighter 15hp donk. They're nice boats with lines similarish to a large hustler 30 with a traditional layout down below. I've seen both tiller and wheel versions, i rather favour the tiller as the rudder stock comes from the back of the cockpit. Van de Stadt's always tend to sail well although I must admit to being a bit of a Van de Stadt groupie though!
On a negative point, 4'7" draught is quite short for a 34 footer, although ample for stability, i'd imagine the she may well make a few degrees extra leeway than some deeper keel equivalents.

Best of luck Simon Jinks