Leg2 is go.

Whitelighter

Visit site
One thing I have learnt is don't believe the weather.

It changes dramatically every update.

The wind has been favourable for the northern group much longer than had been suggested last night. I wonder how close we will get to the mark before having to beat?

sarabande

Visit site
agreed the weather is , umm, inconsistent.

It makes an interesting result for all the members of the rearguard, keeping almost perfect station N to S !

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
ha ! Secret plan is to come more northerly very soon and keep in the wind stream which is pushing the big low onto the leaders. I've come up about 15 degrees in the last 30 mins.

Watch this space !

Whitelighter

Visit site
If the current weather is to be believed it's looking decidedly iffy for the northern boats over the next 18 or so hours....

You say that but its getting better by the hour.

The little low is moving north dragging the winds for us into a more southerly direction. It wont last, but it might give us a reprieve, and the southern boys have a lot of miles to make up

Whitelighter

Visit site
My plan has been scuppered. I was trying to get the wind behind me but it looks like it will now be a beat back up again. I'm sure it wasn't like that earlier.

No, the weather forecasts are extremely dodgy.

I keep making plans based on the reduced 24 hour forecast only to find at the next weather update it has changed completely

Martin_J

Visit site
Whitelighter

Taking the distance from a point about 400 miles east of PE2 to each of us, I think we've about the same distance to go...

My plan is to take the same gybe that I'm on now for about the next 20-24 hours, until the angle of the wind changes.. then a single gybe to the north to aim East of PE2... How far East.. good question!

Note - I am trying to use the wind angle (and how it changes) to take me upwind rather than sailing directly into a wind with constant direction.

Hope this helps... MJM

Martin_J

Visit site
Forecast improved a little for us in the SE... Sat4pm gybe postponed now until mid Sat evening... I can have a day out in London without the laptop :eek:

Safe sailing ybw_mjm

Martin_J

Visit site
And I've set myself on a TWA course.. was that a good idea.. I think the wind is steady enough...

I wish 76T wasn't just ahead.. I've just turned S a little...before he does! (I hope!!)

Martin_J

Visit site
What am I on about.. I'll be tacking tomorrow.. What's confusing me is being on a boat IRL at the moment.. and the wind is from the other side... aargh!

Spyro

Visit site
What am I on about.. I'll be tacking tomorrow.. What's confusing me is being on a boat IRL at the moment.. and the wind is from the other side... aargh!

Now are you sure about that Martin? You were gybing earlier :)

"How far East.. Based on the forecast right now.. about 4pm Saturday for the Gybe (on a DC).

Weather update in 20 mins so it could all change. "