leg 1 tactics

fireball

Visit site
I was trying to recover some brownie points that disappeared overboard during the inport race .... haven't even thought about leg1 tactics yet /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm sure it won't be too tricky!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dipper

Visit site
Keep away from land then I can go to bed at night. I don't think shipping can hit the virtual boats. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dyflin

Visit site
Your hand (tiller?) is forced somewhat by having to go around FdN. My tactic is to stay ahead of you lot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fireball

Visit site
From the developers:

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.sailonline.org/board/thread/727/?page=1#post-727
Hi all,

First, let me express my pleasure over this discussion! Most of what you all say is correct.

Let me declare our intention: To make the racing conditions as realistic as possible. Having this said, the more tricky q is to define "realistic". We have not spent too much time into this issue but I realise that maybe we should. In this process we really appreciate your input.

The current system aims at using best possible forecatst. This is how it works today: Two times per day (maybe we could crank it up to 4?!) we get new forecasts in GRIB-format. The forecasts contain weather at certain time steps. Between these time steps the server interpolates in time to shuffle boats around in a continuously changing weather system. Thus, "now"- time is in practice always between to time steps.

When a new forecast arrive we keep the two time steps we are currently interpolating between but exchange all following time steps for the new ones. As a consequence we typically know exactly what the weather is going to be until the next forecast arrives.

Now, what should we do? What is the aim? Is it to keep sailing in the best possible forecasts (as today) or is it to manipulate the forecasts to be "fairly good" but less predictable (as IRL)?

I do not know? All ideas are welcome and the more specific suggestions we get the bigger the chance of implementation :)

Regards
Jakob

[/ QUOTE ]
That clear? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Abestea

Visit site
my tactics:

1. Dont hit Africa.
2. Dont hit South America.
3. Think a bit more about setting courses.
4. Dont hit Antartica.
5. Dont sail in circles.

I reckon i will win if i follow this :p

Reninportishead

Visit site
My tactics are to think of a different excuse to tell swmbo why I'm spending so much time on the computer !
Finished 156th in the Inport dispite being out sailing in the Bristol Channel for the first 6 hours of the race ! Managed to gain about 100 places by staying up late and sailing TWA .......... think I might have to catch man flu and stay in bed with laptop this weekend !

Spyro

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does the weather mimic reality? If so, just follow what the real guys are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll be following us /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif