Lechlade - river state

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've just been up to Lechlade in the toy trawler which is about 3ft4 deep on twin shafts with flat skegs.

River is ok. Some pretty shallow bits here and there but then the statutory minimum up here is 3ft. I didn't get stuck anywhere and managed to turn below the road bridge.

Despite people saying it's all overgrown I found it broadly similar to other times I have been up there in various boats. It seems fine to me I did not interact with any vegetation other than when mooring.

Don't let doom and gloom mongers put you off. The upper reaches are there (if you can get under Osney bridge 7ft6) and draw 3ft or less.

It's different from the lower bits but nice for a visit.

CLB

Visit site
I've done Estuary to Oxford many times. Always wanted to do the bit above, but need a different boat. One day.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I'm the opposite have done the upper reaches dozens of times over the years in various different boats the largest being a 58x12ft barge. Always single handed no crew. Easier like that. Have Never been further down the River than Limehouse however.

prof pat pending

Visit site
A guy I know has a Mooring at Inglesham, he claims it’s the highest mooring on the Thames. He regularly goes up there in a Freeman 28 twin, and has even been up there in a 50 something foot wide beam

Time Out

Visit site
I've just been up to Lechlade in the toy trawler which is about 3ft4 deep on twin shafts with flat skegs.

River is ok. Some pretty shallow bits here and there but then the statutory minimum up here is 3ft. I didn't get stuck anywhere and managed to turn below the road bridge.

Despite people saying it's all overgrown I found it broadly similar to other times I have been up there in various boats. It seems fine to me I did not interact with any vegetation other than when mooring.

Don't let doom and gloom mongers put you off. The upper reaches are there (if you can get under Osney bridge 7ft6) and draw 3ft or less.

It's different from the lower bits but nice for a visit.
What boat do you have if you don’t mind me asking ?

Golden Boy

Visit site
I’ve just been to Lechlade and back from Weybridge. Haven’t done the upper reaches above Oxford since I was a boy so can’t comment on how much more overgrown it is. I was single handed from Weybridge to Benson and back and had a crew from Benson to Lechlade and back. My boat is electric and finding places to charge limited my options to stop a little but with help from several yards, mates and contacts we made it. 214 miles, 82 locks, 9 days. Next time I’ll do it slower.26940A9D-7AC5-4461-AC12-218AF4D3605C.jpeg

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I'm not interested in going further Ian. Not my thing. I did take the electric canoe a bit further but I found it a bit boring. The whole of the top end is slightly boring and monotonous I usually like to get to Lechlade mainly as there is a decent shop there.

I have previously been quite a lot further in a kayak in fact I did once get well past Hannington bridge.