Leather Laces...

RobbieW

Visit site
Anyone got a recommendation for a purveyor of leather laces for deckies that last more than 3 months ? The last couple of replacements I've bought through Amazon have been very short lived

TiggerToo

Visit site
I have never got on with leather laces because they don't last and come undone easily. I replace them with fabric ones.
Have you ever tried the neat trick of the double bow? I think someone pointed this out on here, many aeons ago and... as the y say... I never looked back. (It works also on fabric ones.) Perfect for leather laces. And so easy to undo when you want them to.

Poignard

Visit site
Have you ever tried the neat trick of the double bow? I think someone pointed this out on here, many aeons ago and... as the y say... I never looked back. (It works also on fabric ones.) Perfect for leather laces. And so easy to undo when you want them to.

Since turning my back on leather laces I bought Duncan Wells' excellent book ( Stress-Free Sailing ) and adopted the shoelace knot he describes in there. I don't know if that's the one you mean.

Last edited:

TiggerToo

Visit site
Since turning my back on leather laces I bought Duncan Wells' excellent book and adopted the shoelace knot he describes in there. I don't know if that's the one you mean.
yes, and I have become addicted. It is now my standard shoelace knot. It is so easy and functional.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Since turning my back on leather laces I bought Duncan Wells' excellent book and adopted the shoelace knot he describes in there. I don't know if that's the one you mean.
Details please. I have always tied a double bow.
Considering the number of forumites who have complained about their Dubarries going hard after 3 months, I am surprised no one has not offered to send you a set of 3 month old laces for a virtual pint of beer: whilst the rest of the shoe gets recycled for washers

johnalison

Visit site
I don’t have a photo, but the fashion for tying leather laces a few years ago was to tie a reef knot and shorten the ends with an ornamental knot in the form of a spiral. This had especial appeal to us lazy types who slipped their feet in and out without untying.

mrming

instagram.com
I don’t have a photo, but the fashion for tying leather laces a few years ago was to tie a reef knot and shorten the ends with an ornamental knot in the form of a spiral. This had especial appeal to us lazy types who slipped their feet in and out without untying.

I still do this, but I often think one day the knots will get caught in something on the boat and rip my shoe off. Hasn’t happened in 30 years or so mind you! :D

TiggerToo

Visit site
Poign's solution works much better. I gave up on the end-knot thing, it is very much an inferior solution