Leaky Teak

BalticLady

Visit site
Hello,

I'm a brand spanking new boat owner, I recently purchased a 1978 Vindo40.
I fell in love with her.
With this weather changing from hot to hail and rain so quickly- our boat has started leaking.

I understand that I will have to remove and refit the screws, re caulk and re-plug in dryer weather to try and salvage my teak deck.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks? Any products that helped save them? Any steer well clear of?

Is Colean better than Wood Skin?
I've seen someone tape down before filling gaps with caulking, good idea?
Epoxy to fill in cracks?
Finding the leaks from inside? (ahh?)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I am a novice and am willing to do most work myself, with full knowledge that the process will involve a lot of frustration and swear words!

Thanks in advance for your time,
Kindest,
Taylor

wazza

Visit site
I’ve recently renovated the whole deck on my Najad 343 from ‘81. Also a Swedish boat produced in the same area as yours, & most probably around the same era.
It’s a pig of a job but well worth it to keep teak on the deck. I replaced all the caulking (used TDS) took out all the plugs and screws , there were thousands. Some were easier to take out than others. I did NOT replace the screws, but instead I used thickened epoxy to fill the holes before replacing the plugs.
The planks on the whole were in good condition 10-12mm thick and for a 40 yo boat isn’t too bad, shows a quality build. I took 2 off as they were in bad condition. They were very difficult to get up as the were stuck down very well.

To get the caulking out I used a Fein with a their caulking knife and I then deepened the grooves with a router that had a guide that ran in the groove.

As I used TDS I didn’t need to tape off which saved a lot of time. Put it on the sanded it off with 60 then 80 grit paper.

I have Coelan on my coach roof but nothing on the deck. It looks good but it’s like an ice rink when wet. I would not put anything on the deck.

Well there’s my penny’s worth...