Leaking Selden Mast Collar

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Now we are back to more normal weather (rain!) I have noticed that the mast collar for my keel stepped mast is now leaking (annoyingly it doesn't just go down the mast into the bilge).

I have tried some 'PSP' mast collar tape but that has not been successful as the where the kicking strap attaches to the mast it stops one being able to wrap the tape around the mast to provide the required tension.

Would the next step be to try a suitable mastic?

Picture of the arrangement is on page three of the pdf on this link - https://support.seldenmast.com/files/1456483958/excerpts/595-808v7-E-41-47.pdf

Quandary

Visit site
If the collar is not holed I would recommend easing the circlips and placing butyl adhesive sealant tape around under the collar at the top and perhaps later the bottom joints, tightening the collar over it, neater and cleaner than gun mastic. Don't stretch the tape too much and cut the meeting ends at 45 degrees. While the collar is loose turn it inside out and inspect carefully, it is usually hypalon coated fabric so a Polymarine Avon dinghy repair kit will have suitable patches and two pack adhesive to apply to the inside surface. When we unstepped the mast we usually only removed the bottom clip and left the collar and top clip in place.
Two boats back I had an Selden keel stepped MDS section with a leak at deck level, we found it was coming down from the top and emerging around the dam which is supposed to drain just above the collar. Can not remember what the exact route was but water was dripping on the floor below, I think the drain hole may have been misplaced relative to the collar but it was a few years ago now.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
If the collar is not holed I would recommend easing the circlips and placing butyl adhesive sealant tape around under the collar at the top and perhaps later the bottom joints, tightening the collar over it, neater and cleaner than gun mastic. Don't stretch the tape too much and cut the meeting ends at 45 degrees. While the collar is loose turn it inside out and inspect carefully, it is usually hypalon coated fabric so a Polymarine Avon dinghy repair kit will have suitable patches and two pack adhesive to apply to the inside surface. When we unstepped the mast we usually only removed the bottom clip and left the collar and top clip in place.
Two boats back I had an Selden keel stepped MDS section with a leak at deck level, we found it was coming down from the top and emerging around the dam which is supposed to drain just above the collar. Can not remember what the exact route was but water was dripping on the floor below, I think the drain hole may have been misplaced relative to the collar but it was a few years ago now.

Thank you for that

It seems that when the mast was stepped 6 years back there was a similar tape in place but that has failed in some way so water is getting through

One of the guides I found on the Internet said mastic underneath the original seal which seemed odd

https://support.seldenmast.com/files/1426846331/597-182-E.pdf

The internal drain holes all seem fine along with the boot itself

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
Surprised you have not got more help here but it sounds like replacing the tape might solve it. There is a big choice of sealing tapes, some are double sided and some have the adhesive on just one side. the most expensive versions are made by 3M. I think double sided at least 12mm wide under the top jubilee clip might solve it, The lower joint to the alloy collar might be better non adhesive on one side as some of the adhesives are strong and you do not want to glue the mast to the deck fitting,

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Surprised you have not got more help here but it sounds like replacing the tape might solve it. There is a big choice of sealing tapes, some are double sided and some have the adhesive on just one side. the most expensive versions are made by 3M. I think double sided at least 12mm wide under the top jubilee clip might solve it, The lower joint to the alloy collar might be better non adhesive on one side as some of the adhesives are strong and you do not want to glue the mast to the deck fitting,

I guess most people will have deck stepped masts so are saved this grief.

It seems Butyl tape is quite hard to get hold of 'retail' so I will need to go with mastic in the short term.

earlybird

Visit site
Try googling mast boot tape. A self amalgamating tape ~100mm wide. Various chandlers sell it, might work. Another diy method for a boot is to make one from a big, ( lorry?) tyre inner-tube. Stitch and glue might be an alternative to lifting the mast.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Try googling mast boot tape. A self amalgamating tape ~100mm wide. Various chandlers sell it, might work. Another diy method for a boot is to make one from a big, ( lorry?) tyre inner-tube. Stitch and glue might be an alternative to lifting the mast.

That was my first thought and by chance I already had some (of unknown vintage)

However for it to work it needs to be stretched by wrapping the tape around the whole mast but that is impossible on my boat due to where the kicking strap is attached to the mast so water was able to get 'underneath' it.

awol

Visit site
I don't know if I've fixed my boot seal yet. Replaced the self-amalgamating tape for it to tighten down on so I'll find out next time I'm on the boat. One bad thing about keeping the boat in a warm shed all winter is the mast must come down and last year's sealing job gets disturbed when the partners are reinserted. Socket and ratchet on the jubilee clips helps but ca' canny.