lay up in France

mikenixon

Visit site
We are going to cruise down the Biscay coast of France next year. Can anyone advise - preferably from personal experience - of good places to lift out and store my boat (10 metres, 9 tonnes) ashore during the following Winter? I've no idea how far we will get (depends how many creperies we visit en route) so am open to suggestions anywhere from St Nazaire down to the Spanish border.

Mike Nixon

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Its a bit of a broad question, you need to narrow down your area a bit.
Lots of facilities at Les Sables d'Olonne and La Rochelle. Royan is pritty good, or you could pop up the Gionde to Pauillac.
If you dont get very far, you could lock in on the Vilaine and moor up around Le Roche Bernard.

G

have just done exactly what you are asking about!
we made it to bilbao in a 3 month cruise from the uk. we looked at leaving the boat in hendaye on the french border, zumaya, or santander, but in the end have left her in bilbao in a what we believe is a very secure place. dont wish to braodcast the location but if you e mail me i will give details.
if you didnt get that far, you could leave her in the morbihan - lots of places reputedly.

G

We left our boat in Bordeaux over last winter - both in and out of the water. The Basin a flot is very very cheap (less than £40 per month for 10 metres) and has excellent facilities - good chandlery, engineers, sailmakers etc. Many livaboards in heavy duty long distance boats. Plenty of space out of the water. Good supermarket close by. It's a bit of a detour - about 55 miles from Royan but I doubt if there is anywhere cheaper or more secure. I'd be pleased to tell you more if you are interested.

G

A friend of mine has kept his boat in Hendaye, on the French-Spanish border, for several years. He uses his boat for three months each summer and keeps it ashore when he is not there. It is very cheap and the access to the marina is easy (unusual for that part of the world, where the swell can make entering and leaving harbour a real adventure). Hendaye has excellent support facilities, a good selection of restaurants and it is an easy dinghy or ferry ride over the bay into Spain to sample the excellent tapas bars.
It is well placed for exploring the north coast of Spain, which is uncrowded with lots of little fishing villages to pull into.
I flew down to see him using a Ryanair flight to Biarritz - £4 each way plus taxes!
Definitely worth considering.