Lavranos 40s

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
I have a chance to purchase one of these, but it needs a good overhaul and plenty of TLC to bring it up to cirnavigation spec's.
Does anybody out there know anything about the Lavranos 40?

They were designed by Angelo Lavranos around 1980s/90s, but that all I can find out about them. Somebody must have come across these boats somewhere and have seen them under sail etc.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Westerly Oceanlord my wife wants to circumnavigate in-there would no difference in coast in the end.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I don't know the L40. I am fitting out a 50 ft designed by Angelo built in steel. We have in South Africa a number of L34 & L36 also designed by Angelo. and are very popular.

Angelo is now in new zealand, his web site is www.lavranosyachtdesign.co.nz.

My hull and deck was build in the late 1970's and went through several owners before me. When I was considering it's purchase I contacted Angelo by email and he was very helpfull so I would try that.

He may be able to give you names of other owners to help you decide.

Before I finally purchased I considered several Roberts but went for the lavranos as the Roberts is alot more common and I wanted somthing more less common.

Best of luck and let me know if you do go for the lavranos.

Ariadne

blog.mailasail.com
I've been in touch with Angelo, he remembers the original owner, and has given me some hull & sailplan details, which has been very helpful.

What I want to know now, how do they perform, in heavy weather, light airs big seas etc, etc. As I've never knowingly seen a Lavranos of any size or shape sailing or under power, any sort of performance info' is appreciated.

Thanks

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
I have raced in his L26 yachts.
Great - go like **** off a hot shovel.
His designs were for sailing of the inhospitable South African coast - so seaworthyness was a major factor in them.
Ken

Ariadne

blog.mailasail.com
Thanks to all of you who have replied to my question.

Due to the shear ammount of internal & external works required, to bring this particular boat up to a decent standard, including all new mast, spars & rigging, I've decided to leave this for someone else.

My current boat had full 12 month (almost total) refit before I could sail her, and I'm not ready to take that ammount of work on again.

I think if it had not needed so much work I'd probaly buy it, but an almost ready to sail boat sounds better. If there is such a thing .

Evergreen

Visit site
Hi Ariadne,
it's a long time ago , but are you out there, can you read me?
You where interested in a Lavranos in the year 2005. Is it this boat? View attachment 20496

I wonder how much work is waiting for the new Owner and if this boat is worth the refit. I am looking for one to sail in the Med and to make the Atlantic ciecle with the ARC.

Andrea Ehrlich

Visit site
Hi Ariadne,
it's a long time ago , but are you out there, can you read me?
You where interested in a Lavranos in the year 2005. Is it this boat? View attachment 20496

I wonder how much work is waiting for the new Owner and if this boat is worth the refit. I am looking for one to sail in the Med and to make the Atlantic ciecle with the ARC.
Hi, we used to own a Lavranos 40, sold it in Miami, FL. She used to run under South African flag until about 2002, named NITOR.
Can you resend a photo pls? Would love to see if she’s still around.

gsalgado

Visit site
I've been in touch with Angelo, he remembers the original owner, and has given me some hull & sailplan details, which has been very helpful.

What I want to know now, how do they perform, in heavy weather, light airs big seas etc, etc. As I've never knowingly seen a Lavranos of any size or shape sailing or under power, any sort of performance info' is appreciated.

Thanks

Any chance you still have those hull/sailplan details and can send them to me (gsalgado@gmail.com)? I'm considering buying a Lavranos 40 as well (1986 Lavranos 40 Cutter for sale - YachtWorld) but couldn't find much info about them. Thanks in advance!

Other threads that may be of interest