Lat Flow test needed for Soton Boat show.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I utterly fail to see what the problem is that some people find in this request to have a LFT to get in to SOTON boat show. I have to be tested all the time and it's quite reassuring to know that I didn't/don't have COVID (when tested) and having no symptoms are not likely to have it now either... (Yes I know one can have it asymptomatically.)

(As it happens we also get tested for antibodies as part of the Gov national testing scheme and I get a reassuring letter/email every month telling me I'm still positive for COVID antibodies too.)

Time Out

Visit site
I utterly fail to see what the problem is that some people find in this request to have a LFT to get in to SOTON boat show. I have to be tested all the time and it's quite reassuring to know that I didn't/don't have COVID (when tested) and having no symptoms are not likely to have it now either... (Yes I know one can have it asymptomatically.)

(As it happens we also get tested for antibodies as part of the Gov national testing scheme and I get a reassuring letter/email every month telling me I'm still positive for COVID antibodies too.)

Im at Cannes Yachting Festival right now, Passport to get in but once in you would not know COVID was ever a thing....if I don't test positive on the way home I will be amazed! Im also on the Italian end of the show, much kissing and hugging !

Hacker

Visit site
I’m not against testing, although I’m not a fan of LFT’s due to the high false negative rate. Whilst I won’t be going to SIBS my issue with the seeming need to use an app to show your status. I carry my vaccination card with me so that should be adequate. This govt has demonstrated its lax approach to personal data so I’m not confident about their ability not to want to share my data with one of their mates (and this isn’t a political comment per se)

dom

Visit site

For British citizens there is no problem.

I/we were coming with 1x French, 1x Saudi, 2x US, 1x Singapore, and a few English guests. Because when the weather is nice, it can be a truly great day.

It's not at all clear how this will work for those not in the NHS system, which creates uncertainty at the entrance point, which is why we cancelled. For example, does a foreign visitor just take the lateral flow test and hope that they are believed, or what? Follow the link in bullet point #3 below and it wants to know where in the UK you live. The Boat Show advises tricking the system by claiming English residence, but one can get into hot water making a false declaration like that.

FWIW some of the manufacturers are furious about this, some of whom will now struggle to connect with people they really wanted to meet.

Here's what the website says:
International Visitors:
  • If you are visiting from outside the United Kingdom, please follow the latest government guidance on travelling from abroad. Full details can be found here
  • On successful entry to England, visitors will be required to undertake a lateral flow test within 48 hours prior to arriving at the show.
  • If you are staying in Southampton during your visit to the show, please choose England as your place of residence when registering your test result here, and enter the postcode of where you are staying (i.e. your hotel) when asked.
  • Please then follow all other entry requirements listed above for all visitors

Last edited:

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site

sarabande

Visit site
FWIW some of the manufacturers are furious about this, some of whom will now struggle to connect with people they really wanted to meet.

I struggle with the priority that some of the manufacturers are placing on not testing. What is the cost of a Covid-infected person to the NHS, or indeed the cost of a 1000 covid-infected persons ? The recent Cornish pop festivals demonstrate how easily the bug is spreading.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Perhaps some people should be a tad more respectful towards the hundreds of exhibitors and staff who have to stand there for ten days meeting thousands. And the chances they are taking. Rather than themselves.

I sincerely hope it won't happen, but in small companies, which most are, a percentage of their staff being infected, pinged or whatever is certainly not going to help post pandemic recovery.....

dom

Visit site
I struggle with the priority that some of the manufacturers are placing on not testing. What is the cost of a Covid-infected person to the NHS, or indeed the cost of a 1000 covid-infected persons ? The recent Cornish pop festivals demonstrate how easily the bug is spreading.

Aside from dyed in the wool anti-vaxers, I don't think anybody or any manufacturer has an objection to testing and I've heard nobody objecting to the valid points you make re public health. It is therefore a bit of a red herring.

All Southampton had to do was require people to take a LF test there if entry staff were unsure. As I understand it, this apparently raised some insurance, quality control, medical questions, and whatnot.

With the upshot that people -- especially foreign people -- started cancelling, manufacturers got pissed off, side deals were cut, and it became a bit of a mess.

Tranona

Visit site
LFT are free. Ordered pack on line yesterday being delivered today. Also picked up packs from Boots.

Will be trying the reporting system today.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
LFT are free. Ordered pack on line yesterday being delivered today. Also picked up packs from Boots.

Will be trying the reporting system today.
The reporting system on the NHS app is simple, scan QR code on test kit and enter result. Takes a minute or so. You then get a text and email confirming your result.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
That's odd.

I typed in "lateral flow test cost uk" and once past the adverts the first link was the Gov/NHS ... see above, which gave me the costs I quoted ?View attachment 122100
I am sure you could pay £200 to a Nigerian businessman or even a UK one, but go into any UK chemist and explain why you want and its free. We test every week so we can go and see my sister and there is spare kit in van or boat in case anyone else wants to see our test results. Bit boring sticking swabs up nose, but no big deal

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
For British citizens there is no problem.

I/we were coming with 1x French, 1x Saudi, 2x US, 1x Singapore, and a few English guests. Because when the weather is nice, it can be a truly great day.

It's not at all clear how this will work for those not in the NHS system, which creates uncertainty at the entrance point, which is why we cancelled. For example, does a foreign visitor just take the lateral flow test and hope that they are believed, or what? Follow the link in bullet point #3 below and it wants to know where in the UK you live. The Boat Show advises tricking the system by claiming English residence, but one can get into hot water making a false declaration like that.

Here's what the website says:
International Visitors:
  • If you are visiting from outside the United Kingdom, please follow the latest government guidance on travelling from abroad. Full details can be found here
  • On successful entry to England, visitors will be required to undertake a lateral flow test within 48 hours prior to arriving at the show.
  • If you are staying in Southampton during your visit to the show, please choose England as your place of residence when registering your test result here, and enter the postcode of where you are staying (i.e. your hotel) when asked.
  • Please then follow all other entry requirements listed above for all visitors
Sorry but I am unpersuaded. It's not difficult and to suggest you're going to be in trouble for telling the computer you're in the UK at a hotel in order to get the system working is neither here nor there. Shall I suggest that I'll personally pay your fine if you get into trouble for complying with the show organisers directions? It's a flounce looking for a reason to flounce over an insult and difficulty that doesn't exist. IMHO

lustyd

Visit site
The reporting system on the NHS app is simple, scan QR code on test kit and enter result. Takes a minute or so. You then get a text and email confirming your result.
And how does that differ from simply telling the person at the gate you tested negative? Other than costing £38Bn