Lack of use engine pic .

vas

Visit site
Maybe - depends where you live / boat!
agree, down here boats are mainly used for enjoying the sea which inevitably involves getting in the water swimming.
You don't swim (generally) at sub 18C water (I personally prefer it warmer tbh) so end of October-beginning of June is out of the question, simple!
V.

LBRodders

Visit site
agree, down here boats are mainly used for enjoying the sea which inevitably involves getting in the water swimming.
You don't swim (generally) at sub 18C water (I personally prefer it warmer tbh) so end of October-beginning of June is out of the question, simple!
V.
A cool damp [wet] day in summer is bad enough in North Wales, let alone one in winter with 17 hours of darkness.

May - September for me, and only the good days. Getting old!

Portofino

Visit site
So, that damage is not to do with lack of use (as per the thread title), or standing the boat on the hard for 1.5 years, but is actually to do with water from a fresh water flushing system entering the cylinders?
Yes that would explain all 4 , a cock up with the water on valve + engine running timing , coupled with the design / situation of the riser re respective height(s) etc so correct , thats one of the “two “ .Not enough to catastrophically hydro lock it which you would instantly know about .Just enough back flow to say add 1cm on top of each piston .....then it evaporates off over time .
But how do you know ? Until next season ?

And the other ......see the other clue pic I deliberately choose it for a particular feature .

Last edited:

hinch

Visit site
Maybe - depends where you live / boat!

Hull / Yorkshire / East Coast.
Some of our best days out have been over winter so far better weather and less temperamental than summer. Unfortunately lockdown has ruined the whole going away for a weekend thing on longer runs but just hanging around little fishing, just going to an anchorage for lunch or even messing around with friends in their boats doing a little racing and wake jumping.

LBRodders

Visit site
Some of our best days out have been over winter so far better weather and less temperamental than summer. Unfortunately lockdown has ruined the whole going away for a weekend thing on longer runs but just hanging around little fishing, just going to an anchorage for lunch or even messing around with friends in their boats doing a little racing and wake jumping.

People say that but I rarely see much evidence.

I would say 'our winter' is 7 months ish. Its along time afloat to bag a few days. But all in my own opinion of course (y)

julians

Visit site
Yes that would explain all 4 , a cock up with the water on valve + engine running timing , coupled with the design / situation of the riser re respective height(s) etc so correct , thats one of the “two “ .Not enough to catastrophically hydro lock it which you would instantly know about .Just enough back flow to say add 1cm on top of each piston .....then it evaporates off over time .
But how do you know ? Until next season ?

And the other ......see the other clue pic I deliberately choose it for a particular feature .
Do you know thats what caused it? Or are you speculating?

Alicatt

Visit site
The same, only further north, there were a few of us that did a lot of diving in winter, much better vis and no kelp to get in your way. Sea temps were around 11c as we got the tail end of the gulf stream coming round the North of Scotland, though usually it did mean an extra layer under the drysuit, best months were February and March, after March the kelp would be in exponential growth.

Edit: As we used the boat all year she was never winterised, sure she was hauled out on those days it was very stormy and the green water was breaking over the outer harbour walls but those were rare and extreme, depending on wind direction I kept the boat in one of two harbours, either Staxigoe which was the normal harbour I kept her, or Wick if there was going to be a blow from the East.

Last edited:

hinch

Visit site
Yes , it’s one of two conclusions of the other forum + owners input that’s one .
I,am messenger boy here keep your guns holstered ps :) .
The other is ?

cracked liner or head gasket/head not sealed right allowing head lift under pressure just prior to shutting down which left enough water to creep in?

Portofino

Visit site
cracked liner or head gasket/head not sealed right allowing head lift under pressure just prior to shutting down which left enough water to creep in?
See post #10:
Ok here’s another clue and compare this image with the other boat trailer image ^^^ Ignore the writing , just compare pics
0BBB564B-A07A-4798-BFE1-CF13CF558952.jpg

vas

Visit site
wtf? unless exhaust riser is really really wrong, in which case not much to do with fresh water flushing or anything else!

Portofino

Visit site
wtf? unless exhaust riser is really really wrong, in which case not much to do with fresh water flushing or anything else!

Correct.......finally .
Your home turf laid to a buoy , Covid restrictions the owner can not get to it to haul it .
Struggling to find a yard , as his normal 15 degree ramp yard is shut .finds one who get his trailer but there ramp is 30 degrees .

The riser is only 10 cm above the valves , more of the boat instal fault not Yanmars .
Engine manufacturers liability generally ends at the exhaust turbo out flange .The rest inc the riser , injection elbows and what have you are the builders .

It has a fresh water flush , but being so long ago he can’t remember if he asked for it or indeed if the yard actually did it or what the yard did do it .Yard can not remember either .

Back to ramp angles if it wasn’t a water valve / engine off timing error then they think more likely it was the siphon effect of the steep ramp and insufficient riser height clearance . Sort of happened when the boat was put on the trailer on the ramp in the water with the engine tilted back and switched off .Something like that .

Why are you so adamant it’s “ nothing to do with fresh water flushing “ ?
I never said it did .But once you know the riser height etc and possibly yard monkey having a go , wether on a flat surface or worse still parked on a incline surely it’s in the frame .

Anyhow which one of the two does not change the outcome .

Hopefully all ( esp Med boaters );will be reassured its wasn’t from dry stood with a bit of damp winter air swirling about in Greece .

Moving on what suggestions have been put forwards by the marine engineers for possible fixers?
What now skipper ? What would you do ?
Chris in post #2 has kindly made a suggestion.There are others .

jointventureII

Visit site
We have to be very careful of this on the Pershing, triple engines and central engine riser is very very low.

There is a system to open the riser valve and 2 seawater cooling valves, which blocks starting the engine until the valves are opened.

In fact coming back from Tunisia last September, we had a 2.5m following sea. The central engine shut down as the control system that tells the MTU panel it's all clear to start, failed (i.e. the engine thought the riser valves has been closed and emergency shutdown kicked in).

This was fun, nice following sea and a very quick decision to make, override the system or go down and manually shut the valves. Opted to manually shut the valves and continue on 2 engines.

MapisM

Visit site
Why are you so adamant it’s “ nothing to do with fresh water flushing “ ?
I never said it did
Maybe not, but pretty sure you hinted it was a possibility, and that is in itself beyond a joke.

It would have made more sense to argue that the BodgeFlow can sink a boat.
Which is in fact a realistic possibility, if you leave the hose open in the engine room, with all bilge pumps disconnected, and then go to sleep... :unsure:

MapisM

Visit site
In fact coming back from Tunisia last September...
Coming back towards Sicily or Sardinia?
Where I'm based (SW Sardinia), we often see boats going/returning to/from Tunisia.
I ca recall also a P115 last summer, in fact - Saint Vincent flagged.
Were you possibly onboard?

Portofino

Visit site
Maybe not, but pretty sure you hinted it was a possibility, and that is in itself beyond a joke.
Turn on the water , or end up with water on , but engine off AND such a riser design / install ( Wether injection port position or height from turbo , relative to exhaust valves ) then there is a risk of water getting past the E turbo beause of zero gas flow and running back .......could end up through an open E valve .

Thats not funny for an owner I do not see the joke .

unless you have a functional “ riser valve “ like Jointventure .This not only will prevent the low level siphon ( his issue as described) but also a premeditated water back flow from a guy getting in a on / off - open / closed Bodged flow Tm muddle potential catastrophe.

MapisM

Visit site
Turn on the water , or end up with water on , but engine off AND such a riser design / install ( Wether injection port position or height from turbo , relative to exhaust valves ) then there is a risk of water getting past the E turbo beause of zero gas flow and running back .......could end up through an open E valve.
So, essentially what you are suggesting is that it's better not to have a BodgeFlow system unless you know how to use it.
How enlightening.
What will we hear next, that it's better to open the seacock valve before turning an engine on, to avoid setting the boat on fire? o_O

Portofino

Visit site
So, essentially what you are suggesting is that it's better not to have a BodgeFlow system unless you know how to use it.
How enlightening.
What will we hear next, that it's better to open the seacock valve before turning an engine on, to avoid setting the boat on fire? o_O
Nope your words .
Go back and read what’s been said , holster your gun I,am just the messenger boy here .

@ Jointventure the middle engines cylinder valves are very close to the WL .Have to be got that .
So riser flap to mitigate following sea back flush up the exhaust if the engine is off - no gas pressure forcing it out ?
The “ water valves “ turn them off as well to mitigate a siphon from the strainers due to the relative low engine valves to WL?