Kings johns bridge Tewksbury

Restoration man

Visit site
Ok not exactly Bristol Channel related but thought might be better to ask on here rather than the motor boat forum as there quite south coast based , recently sold my parents boat that we have had on the south coast for 10 years, getting fed up of drive and the crazy mooring prices so going back to where we started boating ,the river seven and occasionally trips out into the Bristol Channel, I’ve bought a new to me 1976 Storebro biscay 31that plan to keep on either the seven or Tewksbury on the Avon , wondering if it will fit through king johns bridge??? my boat is 2.8m airdraft I’ve heard king johns bridge is 3.0m ??? It is an arched bridge and not sure if it’s measured from the very center at 3m or not ,obviously as slopes down it’s going to get lower , 20 years ago we regularly went through with my parents old boat a birchwood 33 without much trouble ,my Storebro is narrower so that might help , anyone with first hand experience of the bridge and any dimensions etc please let me know
Thanks Nick

david_bagshaw

Visit site
this might be useful
https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/wr-44m1-river-avon-stratford.pdf

water on approach to St Johns bridge is not particularly deep either.

Maximum Recommended Craft Dimensions
Stated maximum draught is for vessels with protected sterngear. Note that minimum headroom is at normal river levels, and can be lower during periods following heavy rain.
Lower Avon Upper Avon
Length 70ft (21.3m) 70ft (21.3m)
Beam 13ft 6in (4.1m) 12ft 6in (3.8m)
Draught 4ft (1.2m) 3ft (0.9m)
Headroom 10ft (3.0m) 8ft (2.4m)

Restoration man

Visit site
this might be useful
https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/wr-44m1-river-avon-stratford.pdf

water on approach to St Johns bridge is not particularly deep either.

Maximum Recommended Craft Dimensions
Stated maximum draught is for vessels with protected sterngear. Note that minimum headroom is at normal river levels, and can be lower during periods following heavy rain.
Lower AvonUpper Avon
Length70ft(21.3m) 70ft(21.3m)
Beam13ft 6in(4.1m) 12ft 6in(3.8m)
Draught4ft(1.2m) 3ft(0.9m)
Headroom10ft(3.0m) 8ft(2.4m)

Thanks for that ,the boat draws 0.85m so shouldn’t be problem draft wise , and Im not going any further than Evesham , I might have to hand it through king johns bridge to check clearances ,

solitaire11

Visit site
I'd say it should be ok but there's only one,way to find out ? i'd say its on par with a B33 or a colvic traveller, i regularly took my old bayliner flybridge through, just had to drop the arch.

Sneds

Visit site
We often come up river from Potishead and Tewkesbury is a favourite stop
We lock up into the Avon for the night, lovely spot with great evening views, next day we lock down down again, pay our fiver and make our way
No relevance other than location but thought I’d share!