Kemp Reef-in

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Our new oldish 12m yacht's got Kemp/Selden 'Roller Reef-in' in-mast reefing. c.1992 vintage. Its a b****ger to outhaul, not so bad to inhaul.
After I spent a pleasant day getting my hands shredded by its lines I contacted an agent. "Ah" they said "that system never worked properly. But we can retrofit a solution that's perfect".

Yes I know, but roller reefing suits us. (when it works)

Ah, but sails are also old and a bit baggy. May not roll up perfectly and unroll easily.

So, problem is. Renew the sail(s)? (better do the jib at the same time), or fix the reefing? (2x, 3x sail cost), or both? (+ make appointment with bank manger).

Anyone have experience with the same system and/or dilemma? Advice and comments gratefully received.

MikeW

Visit site
Grehan I have been through all this during the last 2 years. Most of the trouble is down to friction. Don't be persuaded to spend vast sums on gearbox conversions. If you would like to ring me on 07801 522972 I could perhaps be of help.

ronniewood

Visit site
We have just succumed to the same problem and decided only answer was a new sail. Old sail was baggy in the middle so bunched up when rolled. Bunch then jams the slot when unrolling. Tried to recut but material was knackered anyway.
As sail is about ten years old I suppose we can't complain.

pvb

Visit site
Assuming the sail's in reasonable shape, it's most likely your problems are caused by friction. I've had similar problems in the past, so this advice should also work for you. First, if you don't already have one, get hold of a copy of Selden's owner manual for your version of their gear (and there were lots of versions around that time), plus if possible a copy of their spare parts manual. These two publications contain lots of diagrams which will give you info and confidence when you start to take the thing to bits. Then take the drive gear mechanism off the mast, take it to bits, clean it carefully and reassemble it with suitable lubricant. Then look at every single one of the many blocks/sheaves involved - check each one, clean, lubricate, etc. Take the end off the boom and remove the boom traveller (beware - danger of lots of loose bits falling overboard!) and give it similar scrupulous treatment. Finally, make sure the outhaul line isn't too large in diameter; there's a tendency to use bigger line for ease of handling, but the sheaves in the boom aren't able to cope (I'm now using 10mm outhaul). A good lubricant to use is a "dry" spray PTFE compound called "McLube" - costs 4xWD40, but it's good.

janetp

Visit site
When we purchased our 1992 boat 4 years ago we found the Roller Reef system hard to operate and we experienced just about all the traumas possible in the worst conditions possible during our first season!
We also identified friction as the major problem and after studying the manual and operating instructions together with on-site consultation with the local Selden agent we tried everything mentioned on this thread plus fitting new blocks.
Whilst there was some improvement we still weren't satisfied -we talked to other dissatisfied users but then saw a newish moody with a newer set up and an enthusiastic owner. The new single reefing line system seemed far better designed.
After further consultations with our Selden agent and Selden engineers we bit the bullet and fitted a new system. On the basis that the old system was guaranteed for five years and the local agent was aware it hadn't performed satisfactorily we managed a discount on the new price which slightly lessened the blow!
A new sail was a standard recommendation - but after close examination wasn't found to be necessary.
Result - fantastic improvement - well worth the expenditure - it actually works!!!!!!!!
Incidentally we also decided to try to improve boat performance by experimenting with a new mainsail with vertical battens and have been similarly impressed - and the combination has been through some testing experiences and we've all survived! (a couple of days ago broad reaching in a F5 gusting 6 short chop at just under 7 knots we were brought up short by a pot bobber and held by the rudder stern to the wind and the 2 knot tide! The genoa - piece of cake. The main - stern to wind the chop pushing the pressure on the sail one side and then the other!!! slowly and surely I winched the mainsail in releasing the outhaul bit by bit. I couldn't help wondering if a trip up the mast to untangle things would have been necessary with a lazy jack system!!