Keith Nelson 23 Restoration

Motor Boat Man

Visit site
My fleet of Boats is now 3, one 18ft Clinker Open Launch and a Senior Marine 28 Cabin Cruiser.

During the Covid Lockdown periods I was searching online for old Boats as to pass the time and came across a interesting 23ft Clinker Cabin Cruiser which looked like one of the earlier Nelson built Boats.

During the summer months of 2020 I managed to travel up the Essex to see it and a deal was done to buy it as the future was now looking doubtful for it to survive where it was stored.

After arranging Boat Transport to a Boatyard in Southampton, research and restoration began, if not slowly.
This Nelson was built at Keith Nelson Boatyard in 1964 and named "Anya".

As usual with old wooden Boats, more work is required than planned, but hope to have it ready and afloat by 2024 for it's 60th year since the Launch.

More details on the restoration works will follow soon.

Motor Boat Man

Visit site
This is my Classic Nelson 23 when first visited in a Farm storage field near Harwich in September 2020.
It was looking in a forlorn state with many parts from the Rudder to the Engine Starter missing and her days were numbered as the Land was sold and had to be moved within a Month and if not sold most likely would had been cut up.Nelson 23.jpg

ianc1200

Visit site
Friend had a 23' sister-boat for many years - called "Tin Hau" on the upper Thames. Eric (who sadly passed away several years ago) and Sandy were very active in the Thames Vintage Boat Club, used her swan upping etc, and Sandy still maintains connections with the Keith Nelson club. Somewhere I've got quite a few photo's of her. From memory she had a big slow revving Petter diesel.