Keel rust, worth the effort?

Akestor

www.youtube.com
Skeg is not hard to fix, here are some videos of how I fixed mine.

The keel should not be hard either, I would open holes at the capsule and see if there is water inside and let it dry. I would grind away all the problematic areas and re glass them.

TreeMan24

Visit site
Skeg is not hard to fix, here are some videos of how I fixed mine.

The keel should not be hard either, I would open holes at the capsule and see if there is water inside and let it dry. I would grind away all the problematic areas and re glass them.
Brilliant mate thank you!

V1701

Visit site
Per Akestor's post I think a bit of perspective might be called for, okay the boat is pretty much worthless right now in terms purely of sale or resale value. However if you were to buy it for a few hundred quid, spend lockdown working on it, learning some new skills on the way, look for a second hand decent outboard which, along with the sails & rigging which you believe to be good and an already finished interior add up to a manageable project that could be rewarding in and of itself as well as when it's finished giving you the opportunity to enjpy some sailing. It's what it means or could mean to you that's important not what it's resale value might or might not be, after all it's only a few hundred quid which in the grand scheme of things isn't much and If you're looking for a small, cheap boat your only options really are what's available locally due to transport costs, as others have said. Do bear in mind storage costs though...

TreeMan24

Visit site
Per Akestor's post I think a bit of perspective might be called for, okay the boat is pretty much worthless right now in terms purely of sale or resale value. However if you were to buy it for a few hundred quid, spend lockdown working on it, learning some new skills on the way, look for a second hand decent outboard which, along with the sails & rigging which you believe to be good and an already finished interior add up to a manageable project that could be rewarding in and of itself as well as when it's finished giving you the opportunity to enjpy some sailing. It's what it means or could mean to you that's important not what it's resale value might or might not be, after all it's only a few hundred quid which in the grand scheme of things isn't much and If you're looking for a small, cheap boat your only options really are what's available locally due to transport costs, as others have said. Do bear in mind storage costs though...
Thanks again ??
I'm not looking at the resale value, it would be a project I intend to use.
I just didn't want too much trouble, or expenditure on the concerns mentioned above, as this is a new venture for me.
I'll definitely be steering clear of this one though.

upcountry2

Visit site
Thanks again ??
I'm not looking at the resale value, it would be a project I intend to use.
I just didn't want too much trouble, or expenditure on the concerns mentioned above, as this is a new venture for me.
I'll definitely be steering clear of this one though.

good call......

steve yates

Visit site
I'll go against the grain here. £500 for a boat with the insides all done, good rigging and sails, and great trailer is a steal. That skeg and keel wont actually stop you sailing the boat, they are not going to fall off. It would be worth a a bit of time and shouldnt cost too much to have a crack at them as per aleskors post, then you will have a bulletproof wee boat. Buy yourself an outboard and off you go.

Seriously, while everyone says, (including me) boats are cheap to worthless, that doesnt apply if the insides are clean tidy, uptodate and all operational.
If she had scabby wood, droopng headlining, rusty old cokker etc etc inside, then yes, walk away. It will be far quicker and cheaper to fix your keel and skeg than redo and refit the insides of one of these wee boats.