KAD44 Actuator Forward & Reverse are the wrong way

Garychill

Visit site
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help. I’ve had my 2 x KAD44 rebuilt recently and now they are back in my boat one side has an issue with the gear select.

Forward and Reverse are basically the wrong way around, even though the wiring into the actuator block are the same on each engine. Mechanically from the actuator to the drive also looks OK. The actuator is moving in the wrong direction………..

We assume its some sort of wiring issue but I would really appreciate any thoughts before the entire summer is out of the window.

Many Thanks

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help. I’ve had my 2 x KAD44 rebuilt recently and now they are back in my boat one side has an issue with the gear select.

Forward and Reverse are basically the wrong way around, even though the wiring into the actuator block are the same on each engine. Mechanically from the actuator to the drive also looks OK. The actuator is moving in the wrong direction………..

We assume its some sort of wiring issue but I would really appreciate any thoughts before the entire summer is out of the window.

Many Thanks
Swop the gear cables at the actuator or recalibrate the throttles. Either should work.

Garychill

Visit site
Swop the gear cables at the actuator or recalibrate the throttles. Either should work.

Hi, The cables to the actuator were 4 cabled from memory, 2 for power and then two others. We swapped them (no different) and re-did the calibration on the console and didn’t work :-(. Will try again tho - Thanks for the reply.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi All,

Many Thanks
It’s no wiring issue you just need to calibrate the controls, now my guess or shall I say many years of experience tells me your engineer has put the engines in the wrong place .
In other words because the ECU memorises the control action via the potentiometers they are getting the wrong information.

Id be on the phone telling him his mistake , did he actually sea trial the boat after he fitted them , obviously not.

Garychill

Visit site
Hi Paul & Pete

All sorted, i popped down and went through the calibration myself and it solved it.

VP - Yes pretty sure the engines went back in the other way around…………

I’ll give it a better run at the weekend, literally cant wait. Thanks again guys!

Portofino

Visit site
Out of interest would it matter if they are handed ? I mean on my shaft drive the props spin outwards , so one gear box is reversed as both engines spin CCW iirc , the same Dir ?

If yours are refitted on the wrong sides then will your props spin inwards not outwards ……..just a thought.
Hope I am wrong .
Presume the gearing is done inside the legs ?If so have these been put back on the right sides or followed the engines they came off ?

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Out of interest would it matter if they are handed ? I mean on my shaft drive the props spin outwards , so one gear box is reversed as both engines spin CCW iirc , the same Dir ?

If yours are refitted on the wrong sides then will your props spin inwards not outwards ……..just a thought.
Hope I am wrong .
Presume the gearing is done inside the legs ?If so have these been put back on the right sides ?
Duo prop boats are not handed they spin the same way port and starboard.

Mr Googler

Visit site
I am - The boat is ‘Happy Ending’ - Is that Paul ? And his new weapon ? 43 knots ;-)
??? it is. I thought I hadn’t seen you or the boat in Douglas. Don’t forget my wise words…..”ring it’s neck”

Youll be the only boat on the Isle of Man that can keep up with me!

catch you for a chat sometime ?