KAD44 2.3 diag Error

Garychill

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I’m still struggling to get my Boat running after some engine rebuild activity.

Initially we had a problem with the wiring of one of the actuators, then the throttle control needed a re-cal - ALL GOOD, though we were making progress.

Then, the engine wouldn’t start any more and we are getting a 2.3 error which is some voltage issue to the the injector fuel pump. I assume its some other electrical issue.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot ? Is there a fuse for it, can anyone explain where the power cable is for it or any other tips ?

Appreciate any help, literally loosing the will over this now………..

Cheers

Portland Billy

Visit site
Have you tried just cancelling the 2.3 with using the key and buttons.
I had a 2.5 which stopped the stbd engine revving which was cured by simply cancelling the error.

Garychill

Visit site
Have you tried just cancelling the 2.3 with using the key and buttons.
I had a 2.5 which stopped the stbd engine revving which was cured by simply cancelling the error.
No, I just read that making sure the power is off resets them and if its still there when the power comes back on its still a problem.

Is there a sequence to do that ?

Portland Billy

Visit site
My problem did not go away with the power off. It went away by turning the key to pos 1 and pressing the green button simultaneously.
I think this is the standard way to reset.

Garychill

Visit site
My problem did not go away with the power off. It went away by turning the key to pos 1 and pressing the green button simultaneously.
I think this is the standard way to reset.

This gives me some hope :) - I found the reset sequence in the manual earlier so will give it a go. I’m hoping I had a temp electric issue. Will update tomorrow. Thanks for your replies!

Garychill

Visit site
Still no luck. I tried clearing the error but the routine of holding ‘D’ for three seconds while turning the ignition to on doesn’t seem to clear it. As soon as i let go of the button, wait a few second and click it again the same code comes up.

Please let me know any other ideas.

What seemed to cause the issue was trying to start the engine when the engine battery was turned off, the ECU came on but there wasn’t enough current to turn the starter motor and it just click, then this error started. I had assumed there was some low power connection between the engines that allowed this to happen when the battery was off on one side. Probably at the cockpit.

All very frustrating.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Gary, I had a similar issue and it was eventually fixed by replacing the batteries and the battery charger. It's unlikely to be a problem with the pump.

You can check the resistance of the pump, instructions are in the "Fuel System / EDC" workshop manual.

My recommendation would be to make sure your batteries are holding charge as they should (get them drop tested).

If that doesn't work then get clean all engine wiring loom connections (spend a couple of hours on this with some good quality contact cleaner).

What series of KAD44 do you have (A, B or C)?

Be very careful when running these engines with knackered batteries (or batter master switch turned off) as you can damage the ECU (and face a £2000 bill).

simonfraser

Visit site
i had a 2.3 issue which was chased down to a contaminated rev sensor, if that does not work at all then it won't start

Mr Googler

Visit site
It started ok before but now doesn’t since trying to start without the isolator switch on?

feels like a fuse. Are there 2 “automotive” flat fuses under the black box of tricks? Checked them?

I might be down briefly today if you’re about. I’ll bring my voltmeter

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
It started ok before but now doesn’t since trying to start without the isolator switch on?

feels like a fuse. Are there 2 “automotive” flat fuses under the black box of tricks? Checked them?

I might be down briefly today if you’re about. I’ll bring my voltmeter
KAD44 battery supply to ECU is dependent on the exact series, hence it's useful to know which engine it is.

Garychill

Visit site
Engine now starting OK, bumped into Mr Googler earlier. Not 100% What solved it, either pulling the ECU fuse cleared the error and allowed it to start, the battery wasn’t strong enough and leaving it some time improved it or we disconnected the kill switch under the fuse box……

Either way, it starts and looking forward to taking her out tomorrow for (Fingers Crossed) a clear run…..but lets sea :)

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions…..