KAD 32 Winterisation

YachtKahlua

Visit site
Hi All,

I need to look at winterising my KAD 32 engine. Obviously I need to drain the freshwater side of the cooling system and fill with anti-freeze. What is the best way to go about this?
If I removed the inlet line from the outdrive and put it into a bucket with an anti-freeze mix, will that be sufficient to suck through if I turn the engine over?
They boat is out of the water on a trailer.
Is there anything else that needs attention before the winter?
I will change impellor and filters before the start of next season.
Thanks in advance!

Greg2

Visit site
Our last boat had KAD32s and I used to take the hose off the inlet side of the raw water pump and attach a piece of hose that I put into a container of non-toxic anti-freeze and then ran the engine until anti-freeze was coming out of the drive/exhaust. Access was easy as the pump is on the front of the engine and removing the inlet hose from the transom shield would not have been an option, which is what I assume you mean?

Momac

Visit site
Must admit I have never done anything more than put a frost protection heater in the engine bay on a thermostatic control set to cut in if the temperature falls below 5 degrees. But my boat is usually in the water.

chillee

Visit site
I have a Vetus water filter on my ad31. Which is very similar to the kad32. With that I just need to turn off the intake valve before the filter, take the lid of the filter, fire up the engine and I pour 5 liters of antifreeze in, then shutdown. it sucks it through super quick, so I imagine it will do the same from a bucket.

Greg2

Visit site
I have a Vetus water filter on my ad31. Which is very similar to the kad32. With that I just need to turn off the intake valve before the filter, take the lid of the filter, fire up the engine and I pour 5 liters of antifreeze in, then shutdown. it sucks it through super quick, so I imagine it will do the same from a bucket.

There aren’t usually any valves to turn off on the KAD32 unfortunately.

stelican

Visit site
Hi All,

I need to look at winterising my KAD 32 engine. Obviously I need to drain the freshwater side of the cooling system and fill with anti-freeze. What is the best way to go about this?
If I removed the inlet line from the outdrive and put it into a bucket with an anti-freeze mix, will that be sufficient to suck through if I turn the engine over?
They boat is out of the water on a trailer.
Is there anything else that needs attention before the winter?
I will change impellor and filters before the start of next season.
Thanks in advance!
What you describe doing will protect the raw water cooling system. You also need to check the protection of the sealed system (with the header tank) 50/50 mix of the correct antifreeze/coolant.
The volvo penta one has inhibitors in to prevent internal corrosion .

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
I have a TAMD41b in a boat out of the water.
There is VP coolant in the engine and the seawater has drained out where it can but obviously there is still some in the engine.
I cannot start the engine while the boat is chocked up so how can I can some antifreeze into it?
I can pour it in at the water pump end but would it circulate?

stelican

Visit site
Usually on a sterndrive the seawater is in the powersteering oil cooler, seawater impeller housing, oil cooler, heat exchanger,exhaust manifold. aftercooler and associated pipework these all have drain valves/points
I do not think any of these will fully self drain. I never had success trying to feed coolant in via the seawater filter housing
It is a good idea to fully remove the drain plug inserts as the exits on the outer bodies can become blocked, These are brass and the outer bodies are prone to de-zinc and can easily be snapped of if not supported.

Momac

Visit site
The volvo penta one has inhibitors in to prevent internal corrosion .
All antifreeze for internal combustion engine cooling systems has corrosion protection .. does it not? . I believe its the corrosion protection that diminishes over time rather than the frost protection. Having found quite a bit of crud in my cooling system, probably due to too few coolant changes in the past I am doing annual coolant changes. Just put fresh coolant in last weekend.

stelican

Visit site
All antifreeze for internal combustion engine cooling systems has corrosion protection .. does it not? . I believe its the corrosion protection that diminishes over time rather than the frost protection. Having found quite a bit of crud in my cooling system, probably due to too few coolant changes in the past I am doing annual coolant changes. Just put fresh coolant in last weekend.
One of the reasons Volvo say to use theirs is because it offers protection to the o rings on the piston liner sleeves thats enough for me.

Greg2

Visit site
Because it is blocked off and the yard forbid it being started in case it vibrates off the blocks!

Interesting, I asked the yard owner when we had our boat lifted this year and he said it was no problem and appeared surprised that I had asked. Said he runs his on the hard whenever he needs to. He does use proper props as opposed to oil drums and chocks though.

Last edited:

chillee

Visit site
Get someone to stand either side when you start up just incase. If it falls over, at least the gelcoat will be saved when it lands on the person trying to support that side ?