Just to get the ball rolling....

bobnewbury

www.sailblogs.com
We have a long keeled, high windage 40' motor sailor and have just fitted bowthrusters.

Does that make us a pair of wusses or is it an acceptable addition in the eyes of all you tough, hairy matelots out there.

Should I really just keep practising until I can control the damned thing without needing to resort to artificial aids?

Should I be allowed to skipper a boat such as that if I feel it necessary to add these fripperies?

davel

Visit site
You're right - it makes you a wuss !

Real sailors wouldn't tolerate a long keel. In fact real sailors would have a boat without any sort of keel - just get your weight over the side if it blows.

I sail a 3 ft plank of wood with an asses shin bone for the mast and an old sheep skin for a sail. Never did me any harm on my regular jaunts from Barking.

Modern technology? Humph.

Wus !

G

I've always firmly believed a bowthruster can get you into just as much trouble as it can get you out of, as it were. This is based on the fact I have a long keel boat and have never ever used a bow thruster. I figure you're a wus for spending the money. I must be a half-wus (whatever that is) for having a long keel. At least my boat comes in one piece underwater, not two glued-and-screwed together.
I was once told to be alert because lerts live longer.

G

That's it then Bob.

You're a "wus"!

Oh and everyone else wishes they could afford a bow thruster (or a boat big enough to justify one) and be a "wus" too.

Personally I've had to make do with a wife and a big heavy wooden boathook fitted with a galvanised end that looks as it it was used against Cromwell in the Civil War.

Who needs a bow thruster? Watching her wave it about and drop the end menacingly near some new, shiny ("bow thrusted"?) yacht gets me no-end of help from the boat owner.

bobnewbury

www.sailblogs.com
Well that\'s put me in my place..

But beneath the wry tone there did lie a serious point.

Viv a vis the argument that GPS is a valuable aid but you should be capable of navigating in the traditional manner in case it goes down, how far does one take this attitude? If I can't manouevre safely and effectively without bowthrusters, what will I do if they pack up at a critical moment?

What about engines? Should I be able to carry out all essential activities under sail? If so, what point (if any) is there in having an engine?

Taken to its extreme, should we be able to navigate and pilot (including tides) without a timepiece of any form. I accept the last is an absurd position, but it illustrates that all these elements are points on a continuum. Where on that continuum do we draw the (possibly arbitrary) distinction between essentials and luxuries?

G

Re: Well that\'s put me in my place..

Bob - chill out matey! I want one too - it's on my list! I have a planing hull motor boat [please don't hate me for it, I'm a really nice guy AND I wave at yachts even though they don't really want to wave back - those that do anyway ;-) ] actually I guess with a motorsailer you have a foot in both camps?

Anyway back to the plot - you go for it! A bowthruster is a tool! Like another member of the crew, like an autopilot [we don't have to have them but it makes the task of sailing more enjoyable and less hassle] and if it makes moorings in calm condition easier then great but it will come into its own when there is a force 5 [or worse] blowing when you try to moor up!

You are no wus for sure and I'd like to hear how you get on with it ... might move it up my list!

G

G PS going down!

Radio stack in the US produced some active TV aerials for caravan/boats etc, unfortunately it was discovered six months or so after they had been introduced, that they jammed the GTS signals within a couple mile range of them. And finding a marina by GTS became impossible! It does not take much to jam GTS and all military research establishments worth at their name are playing with GTS jamming and anti-jamming.
So it's back to the compass led and Walker lock for me.

snowleopard

Visit site
Old time sailors didn\'t have them... But

They didn't have to get into marinas without scratching the neighbour's gelcoat. If they did have to manoever at close quarters it was done with warps and loads of manpower.

The only reason I don't have a bow thruster is that I have 2 props 17 ft apart!

G

Re: Old time sailors didn\'t have them... But

Snowleopard - props 17ft apart and you know about bits of string and sails ... is it a catamaran or do you have a very large boat?

PS Hope you get somewhere with the coppercoat as I was wondering about that?