Just pictures

Concerto

Visit site
Just been looking at some unusual photos I took at the end of the Southampton Boat Show.

IMG_2974 1000pix.jpg
This is removing a section of the pontoon, with a finger attached, to allow the trapped boats to escape.

IMG_2975 1000pix.jpg
This is the gap they created. So now you know how it is done. The metal strips had been lifted to remove the cables and water pipes.

Seeing the 2 large catamarans maneuver to reverse through the gap was entertaining. I ended up pushing one off on the sharp corner of the pontoon. They were so wide, as they were about 50ft long, they only had about 6ft either side of the hulls to fit through!

johnalison

Visit site
I know this isn't boaty, but it is local. We were held up yesterday at Alresford by the Ladies' cycle race, which I believe ends in Felixstowe today. They were on their way to Clacton and preceded by maybe forty police M/cyclists. I managed to get a succession of perfectly good photos of the police while I was checking the focus settling and then the cyclists whizzed by so fast that I only got one distant shot and one of some girl's rump.
P1110654 copy.jpgP1110655 copy.jpgP1110656 copy.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
I've been at my museum again. This time our Cirrus that we kept at Heybridge, under the care of George Clark.
The Cirrus in Heybridge, '72/'73.
68-74 (81).jpg
On passage. It was usually cold. Our son is starting to think about retiring. Note the highly advanced safety equipment, and the small jib borrowed from an Enterprise for heavy weather.
68-74 (75).jpg
Returning to the Blackwater on a Sunday afternoon.
68-74 (99).jpg

Black Diamond

Visit site
Ah, John, that bottom shot of the Blackwater brings back memories. I think the converted lifeboat with the doors on the side is Silky, MN75, that used to be owned by Navvy Mussett, and the craft to the left is David Leavett's (the Tollesbury butcher), and the occasion was the Tollesbury Hooking Competition. The rusty old tramp in the background was the Aro, and I prized an enormous barnacle two inches long off her rudder that very day.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The “Contender Bezant” is dead easy; she is the RFA “Argus”.

Built in Italy in 1981 as one of Old Blue Eyes*’ “deck ship” container ships, she was STUFT for the Falklands but arrived too late. She was then returned to her civilian state and laid up in the Blackwater 1982-4 and then the MOD changed their minds, bought her, and spent four years and a lot of money making her into a sort of hospital ship/helicopter carrier, with Old Blue Eyes and the shipyards laughing like drains all the way to the bank.

She’s still in service.

RFA Argus (A135) - Wikipedia

* Sir James Sherwood.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
The little Ashanti, all two thousand tons of her, was built in 1957 as the “Helga Russ, was later owned by Spliethoffs and then sold to Ghanaian owners who laid her up in the Blackwater until she was scrapped.
She may be little to you, but when you are tacking into the Blackwater in a BJRC race she’s a dirty great obstruction. All part of the fun.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Top one is the “Zak” and the funnel mark is Margaronis. Built in 1962 for Hains who were the down market end of P&O and had ships with names starting with “Tre…”

It used to be said that Hains only employed officers who could box, because knocking a man down was a Useful Skill on a Hain, Nourse tramp.

1982-4.

Last edited: