Just pictures

Adios

Visit site
As you say, any photo posted here has to be of such low quality as to be unusable for publishing purposes (photos used for publication have to be of high resolution and lossless compression). The $64,000 question is, what about photos LINKED to from here? Many of us have posted photos hosted elsewhere, and the various elsewheres also have T&Cs that often have similar clauses, or clauses saying no commercial use or whatever. For example, if I linked to an image on Wikipedia, Wikipedia insists on a Creative Commons license, and if I linked to one on Facebook, Facebook probably owns rights to it, as well as a lien on your soul! Unless you link to a domain you personally own, it is likely that third parties impose T&Cs that often look very like those of this forum.
It would certainly be annoying to see my photo somewhere commercially with a © FuturePLC on it. But it wouldn't be a financial lose unless I had some commercial plan for it myself. I'm not that bothered personally but credit would be nice.

I've never thought about adding my better few photos to a commercial library, anyone tried it?

Tomahawk

Visit site
I think the tower at B Sea was built for a member of a family to help with Tuberculous .

Just to brighten things up, I wonder if the Fambridge dwelling had something to do with Leprosy. I read somewhere there was a colony somewhere on the East Coast.

Another thing to be thankful for in this current age. :)

NFYC club house at the river station was originally a field hospital from the Crimean war.
Separately, I have heard tales about the hut being a leprocy refuge. Though I have no confirmation.

As to the tower at B Sea, I heard it was built by Mr Bateman to provide work for local fishermen one year when the fish didn’t run. Certainly Bateman is a local name.

Edit, acvording to Wiki it was for his daughter who had TB. Certainly shows the old chap had a wad to build such a folly.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I think the tower at B Sea was built for a member of a family to help with Tuberculous .

Just to brighten things up, I wonder if the Fambridge dwelling had something to do with Leprosy. I read somewhere there was a colony somewhere on the East Coast.

Another thing to be thankful for in this current age. :)
Japan still has leprosy colonies, though the residents are mostly in their 80s. The law imposing compulsory incarceration was only repealed in 1996, and it is still the source of much distress over there. They tend to call it Hanson's disease. I don't think there have been new cases in the last few years but I am not certain about it.

Caraway

Visit site
It would certainly be annoying to see my photo somewhere commercially with a © FuturePLC on it. But it wouldn't be a financial lose unless I had some commercial plan for it myself. I'm not that bothered personally but credit would be nice.

I've never thought about adding my better few photos to a commercial library, anyone tried it?

I've had about 450 images on Alamy since I registered 3 years ago. 11 have sold. They get better rates than many libraries but you won't pay for Amazon Prime every year with the income.
The technical standards are very high.

Other libraries are easier to lodge images with, but pay peanuts.

Unless you have a few thousand very good and desirable images, don't waste your time.

Aquaboy

Visit site
My brother uploads vids. to Newsflare and gets a nice little income. Nothing special, just odd clips really. The ones he thinks are good often don't sell but the rubbish often does. It helps too play into the whole fake media mentality though which he has got the hang off........... mostly

Adios

Visit site
We didn't go through the miles long Wast Hill Tunnel. Quite a few narrow boats moving but no hire boats thankfully. Still didn't fancy passing 10 tons of moving steel in an inflatable

IMG_6965.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
We didn't go through the miles long Wast Hill Tunnel. Quite a few narrow boats moving but no hire boats thankfully. Still didn't fancy passing 10 tons of moving steel in an inflatable

View attachment 113669
That looks intriguing, if a bit disconcerting. However, I don't suppose much harm could come to you other than picking up the accent.

Adios

Visit site
That looks intriguing, if a bit disconcerting. However, I don't suppose much harm could come to you other than picking up the accent.
My middle son sounded like an exaggerated Lenny Henry within a week of starting school here. It settled down to a mild Jasper Carrot within a few months. But in the end we decided to home school so all the heartache was for nothing.

Tomahawk

Visit site
My middle son sounded like an exaggerated Lenny Henry within a week of starting school here. It settled down to a mild Jasper Carrot within a few months. But in the end we decided to home school so all the heartache was for nothing.
Indeed, imagine the shame of a home counties accent......

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
What under researched ignorance! ! Nearly all Wast Hill tunnel is in Worcestershire, so a country yokel farming accent (Archers style) surrounds. But at the N.E. Portal straight into broad Brummie, a totally different language to “Yam yam” which is that spoken in Dudley and the rest of the Black Country. I am a proud Brummie who has lived and worked in the Black Country for the last 45 years and, even now, often haven’t a clue what the locals are saying. But the Black Country accent is thought by some academics to be the nearest survivor to how old English would have been spoken. Incidentally Lenny comes from Dudley and Jasper is, I believe, a Brummie.

Caraway

Visit site
How interesting. I used to sail with a friend's father from a little creek between there and Albert dock (the creek is now filled in).

Just where the arrow points to.

Creek2.jpg

Creek1.jpg

At first it was in a Humber One Design clinker bermudan dinghy (18ft 6" with a 180 sq ft of sail.
And then in a Rivers Class gaffer which was a terrific sailing boat. Just like the Jewel class gaffers that sail on Strangford Lock.

Neither boat had an engine.

This is a Rivers/Jewel class yacht. That's how I remember it with its lee rail under. Washing the cockpit coaming.

eskcock-1.jpg

Last edited:

hinch

Visit site
yeah that little creek is now just scrub land and filled in.
its interesting to see that old picture though with the old entrance to the river hull as thats all be narrowed down and squared off with the deep now on the right hand bank and the bit near the oss wash etc has all been moved out 3 meters recently with flood defence improvements.