Just a little seed of an idea

nathanlee

Visit site
Hi all,

I won't bore you all with a detailed history of my sailing experience, or lack thereof, and while I have done some and can essentially "sail", let us for arguments sake presume I have absolutely zero experience.

What do you think the chances of me being qualified enough to do the 2010 jester in my Corribee are?

As I say, it's just a seed of an idea at the moment but you never know, I'm a bit obsessive with things like this, so it may germinate in to a full on death wish plant.

Ability aside, the only problem I could see with the boat is that it's also my home, or will be as of tomorrow, so I'd be a bit reluctant to go for a full on Mingming-esque unsinkability since I'd loose so much living space to foam.

Feel free to knock me back down to earth with some sense if you think it's a daft idea. I may even listen /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Nathan

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
The question is more abut the level of safety that you require. Many boats in the JC06 and JC08 were "sinkable" Sterenn and MingMing were not. That's your choice.
I think that the most important moment in a JC... is the starting line. You already succeed in being there, for true.
If the seed is there just make a step forward and start to prepare the boat and the man !
You'll have plenty of good reason to quit or postpone... if necessary.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the chances of me being qualified enough to do the 2010 jester in my Corribee are?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hello Nathan,

Let me put your mind at rest over 'Jester Qualifications'

As any experienced Jester Challenger will tell you it is important to have a 'certifticate.' In fact there is talk of disallowing any non qualified Jester entries. You are wise to ask this question early, as the certifticates will be in demand as the time approaches and only a limited number will be issued.

To obtain a 'Special Jester Certifticate' you need to send me a cheque for £500. This represents very good value at under 12p a mile and would certainly count as a qualification which is just as valid as any other issued for solo ocean sailing.

I will then email you a certifticate that you can print off in the comfort of your own home. For another £27 I can plastic coat it for you with our high tech lamninator and post it. (please see previous post for other lamninated products).

Hope that clears up how you get qualified for the Jester Challenge.

Paul

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Hi Nathan,

Yes it's a daft idea, but then you have to be daft to even contemplate the Jester Challenge, there are much more comfortable ways to cross an ocean, so I guess you're already qualified.

Before you can complete the Challenge, you have to: 1. Tell the wife/girlfriend/partner (very difficult): 2. Find the right boat (difficult): 3. Prepare the boat (not so bad): 4. Get to the start line (easier, it's sailing): 5. Get to the finish line (fun, lots of sailing): 6. Get back home (even more fun, lots more sailing).

As the archetypal Jester Challenger is an independently minded individual with strong opinions on the best way to do things, you'll find that advice on the right boat varies considerably depending on who you ask. Despite the disparate nature of our boats, you'll find us pretty much united in our dislike of rules and regulations, our love of personal self sufficiency and the freedom that goes with that. And what does it cost? To quote Bernard Moitessier, 'as much as you have'. Each to his own.

Come along to the East Coast get-together, you'll find us easy going and helpful. Don't forget to bring your sense of humour. Paul will be presenting Certifticates, so it could be a night to remember.

Ceirwan

Visit site
I would think you could be ready for it in time, i'd say though, sail regularly, get confident single handing the boat, then do a trip to holland or cross channel etc, on your own. You'll soon work out if its for you!
If its your home, all you need then is a job you can work from home and you can cruise america in your 'home' and still afford to live!

I certainly don't think true unsinkability is a requirement, but if you are equipped to deal with holings, (ideas for fast repairing etc) and the boat is built to resist swamping then you should be fine. All of the Golden globe boats were far from unsinkable!
You could also carry massive airbags to inflate below decks!

nathanlee

Visit site
haha, cheers Paul. Where do I send the cheque? (it may bounce by the way)

Actually, I kind of meant qualified in terms of experience. The lack of strict rules and requirements is exactly why I'm interested in the JC. I despise the health and safety nanny Britain we live in, and the sue every man and his dog for your own stupidity attitude "we" seem to have. The JC seems like one of the last remaining refuges for normal people with a healthy acceptance that things can go pear shaped sometimes. That said, I would appreciate some rough suggestions as to the type of ability I should have before setting off. Or rather, given that I am a reasonably, although debatably, intelligent chap is two years a realistic timeframe to gain enough experience to make entering (and competing) a slightly better odds that certain death event?

Oh, I post this from onboard the Corribee that would be entering by the way. It's my new home - through choice too, I can and did afford to live in a decent house in London, but have chosen to lice on this little floating palace instead. That probably makes me certified in someway or another, no? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Nathan

Noddy

Visit site
Sounds like your already qualified by way of attitude Nathan.

At the start of JAC 08 Jake (from PBO) called the Jester Challenge the 'Antidote to the Nanny State.' He got a cheer for that.

As others have said I would suggest you go sailing. There isn't really any substitute for experience. I did lots of reading and asking before JAC 08 but I learned masses during the actual event. You will find out whether you like it and what your boat needs doing to it.

If you can make it to the East Coast meet on the 20th you can pick our brains. I've done one whole ocean trip now, but somehow I don't feel like an expert. We might even pick yours.

Hope to see you on the 20th

Paul

neakameni

Visit site
hi
I remember that for a time it was written on the Jester's website that challengers should have a 500 miles offshore single handed experience to participate.
well, that's what I've done in Med ...
As I was approaching Sardigna coast (220 miles from Marseille) I should have make a 180° turn and go back to "auto-certify" myself : but so close from my favorite pizza maker... I stopped in Alghero /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
If I tell you I 've done the same with Balearics for a paella you'll not believe it : that's exactly what I 've done.
So 4 time 250 miles was "enough" to train before the JAC 2008, but certainly not -for me- enough for a transat...

It was so much a pleasure to sail in a "true" ocean /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dominique / Nea-Kameni

David_Jersey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is entirely down to you. and how much sailing you do between now and 2010. Indeed, after a fair chunk of miles under your own belt (keel?!) you will be in the best position yourself to make a good assessment of your own capabilties and / or decide whether or not you still actually want to do the Jester. Ain't nothing wrong with proceeding along a certain path and then deciding to change direction.

This would make quite a good training run, if not a bit more than that:-

http://www.thescoot.com/

Just not sure how you would get there /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Although I love Corribees (I used to have one /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) and I think they are very able boats and IMO - (which is of course worth the paper it isn't written on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) - a well sorted Corribee is capable of this trip, but I would say that able boat though it is, that on a trip like the Jester and especially at 20' 9" it is not what I would call such a "no brainer" voyage as on a vessel twice it's size would be (not to say that any trip accross the Atlantic, let alone singlehanded is really a "no brainer" - I ain't never done it!......but I hope you get the gist of what I am saying)..........But of course if it was easy it wouldn't be called a challenge /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ability aside, the only problem I could see with the boat is that it's also my home, or will be as of tomorrow, so I'd be a bit reluctant to go for a full on Mingming-esque unsinkability since I'd loose so much living space to foam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, space on a Corribee is at a premium /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If it was me (I have day dreamed about it - but I am not sure that I am physically capable of it on a Corribee /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) I would miss the foam out anyway and go for multiple watertight compartments - whether filled with empty plastic bottles or ships stores. Especially at the bow would make fairly decent protection against terminal flooding through the boat from an impact at the waterline or below - I figure a hole above the waterline means yer have a fighting chance anyway. Downside is that not so conveniant if relying on the odd topside leak to find it's way into the bilge for easy pump out.....but the solution is no topside leaks, which has it's own benefits /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I would also think about making the afterdeck locker watertight, as well as possibly the 1/4 Berths. I figure it is as much about displacing water as providing actual bouyancy.....and on which note /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, it did occur to me that as an emergency measure to pre-rig a capability to rig a cargo net or similar under the deck beam so that an inflatable object(s) dinghy? Fenders? Balloon!? could be inflated to provide both bouyancy and displace water whilst being kept in position (last thing I would want if up to me knees in water is to wrestle the Michelin Man /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)......and of course making the Cabin itself watertight........

Just re-read the above. B#gger /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif......anyone got a Corribee for sale? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
To be more practical there are, I think , two key issues :
- sleep pattern management
- exhaustion (cold, hunger, fatigue, physical exhaustion) management.

Just sail single handed situations, you'll meet them.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif