sailorman

Visit site
30a29396-97c7-48b7-9150-cba62ff18a2e.jpg

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Should we have started a similar sort of fund when:
Nick Bareham lost Tahiti Belle when returning from the JAC 2008;
Andy Lane lost Amadeus halfway across the North Atlantic in JC 2010; and
Alan Rees lost Argus and unfortunately died in his life raft while returning from La Corunna in 2011?

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Should we have started a similar sort of fund when:
Nick Bareham lost Tahiti Belle when returning from the JAC 2008;
Andy Lane lost Amadeus halfway across the North Atlantic in JC 2010; and
Alan Rees lost Argus and unfortunately died in his life raft while returning from La Corunna in 2011?

Good point, yes we should.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
And of course I left out -
Alex Fedoruk in Fason his home built modified dragon which he even manufactured the bronze screws for. Having lost the mast approaching the US in 2008 for which a replacement was found by George Pike in Newport, he lost Fason by being driven onto rocks returning from the 2010 Jester Challenge in the Gulf of Finland in a severe gale. Alexei of course being undaunted is building a new boat in his home town of Novgorod and even would like to enter the Golden Globe Challenge in 2018 if Fason II is finished.

Triassic

Visit site
Without wishing to detract in any way from the other sad events you mention I think you need to look a little bit deeper than the incident itself. The loss of a boat is always tragic however for some people it might be easier to recover from than others. Harrier of Down was, as I understand it, Julians home and represented all he had. I'd like to think the sailing community would want to help in such circumstance.

sailorman

Visit site
Without wishing to detract in any way from the other sad events you mention I think you need to look a little bit deeper than the incident itself. The loss of a boat is always tragic however for some people it might be easier to recover from than others. Harrier of Down was, as I understand it, Julians home and represented all he had. I'd like to think the sailing community would want to help in such circumstance.
Here here
Julian is a Jester in that ,he just quietly goes & does his sailing, no fanfares no sponsorship, just does it.