Joker Challenge?

Cian

Visit site
Hello folks,

Covid caught me out this summer and I was unable to take part in the Baltimore Challenge as hoped. Not to worry though; all going well I'll make 2023!

Planning for these challenges has got me thinking about the boat length requirements. I understand the idea of promoting an event that focuses on self-reliance and good seamanship ahead of ever bigger boats, expensive equipment and faster times; basically excluding all but the very wealthy or sponsored.

At the same time, I wonder if enforcing the 30' limit is, in it's own way, more exclusionary than the spirit of the Jester Challenge initially intended.

My own boat is 32' (well, 31' 1/2!). She's a compromise between having space for a family sailing together while still being manageable on my own. I'd love to participate in the Jester Challenge because I admire the ethos of the event: the idea of taking on a challenge and relying on yourself to achieve it. I think I could engage with the spirit of a Jester event but, obviously, the size of my boat officially precludes me from doing so.

I'm full of admiration for the sailors who make long voyages in small boats and I recognise that in doing so they're achieving something special. In that regard, I think the Jester performs admirably.

But my humble suggestion is that perhaps the event could evolve and include another category that would open an opportunity for those in sightly larger boats, say up to 35', to take part. I believe a poster in a previous thread even suggest a name - the Joker Challenge.

Perhaps I'm completely in the wrong and missing the point entirely. If I am, feel free to tell me. You might convince we one way or the other!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
The 20 to 30 feet rule is more a guideline than a rule. After all the Jester Challenge has no rules. A number of boats over 30 feet have been entered in various events. This years Jester Azores Challenge was one by Christian Gallot in his Sea Breeze 31 Kalevala (not sure of spelling). In 2018 the only 2 boats to finish in Newport were both 34 feet, Vancouver 34 and Rival 34. Those who enter and finish in boats over 30 feet are in no way excluded but may be subject to snide comments particularly from competitors who don't finish.

Poey50

Visit site
I've got a 32 footer that I'm preparing partly - maybe - with the Jester in mind. I also agree that rather than dilute the 30 foot limit another category would be better for those just a bit bigger. My suggestion - Just a bit bigger => Jester Bitbigger.

I'll see myself out ...

Poey50

Visit site
I have grumbled for some years about the 30 foot rule as I am 33 foot in old money. Perhaps the Jester Bitbigger class should set off an hour after the Jester?

I'm not totally familiar with handicapping systems but an hour sounds fair enough to me.

Poey50

Visit site
It is NOT a race.

A pox on those who wish to make it so....

Uh ... it was a joke. I thought the ridiculous idea that an extra hour might be a fair handicap over multiple days would be the giveaway! :)

It's alway a bit perilous trying dry humour online - my own fault. Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt, I get the non-racing ethos and totally support it.

Last edited:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Race or not the first boat over the line gets special recognition from the remaining competitors. Christian Gallot in his Sea Breeze 31 received a special presentation this year as first over the finish line.

zoidberg

Visit site
I'm reminded of the 'Number One Mark Orr Racing Rules'......

"We start HERE in the club bar, all together.
We go THERE.
The FIRST to arrive goes into the bar and buys himself a pint.
The SECOND to arrive goes into the bar, and buys two pints; one for himself, and one for the FIRST to arrive.
The THIRD to arrive goes into the bar, and buys three pints, one for himself, and one each for the FIRST and the SECOND.
The FOURTH to arrive goes into the bar, and....."

Last edited:

pandos

Visit site
It has been said that whenever two or more yachts are going vaguly in the same direction they are racing.....

I agree with the idea of a bit bigger....

Mine is 34 feet and some change...I was accepted by Ewan for the Azores and was assured that there are in fact no snide remarks aimed at bigger boat owners...

Perhaps what is truly not broken needs no repair...

Sandy

Visit site
It has been said that whenever two or more yachts are going vaguly in the same direction they are racing.....
Not if I'm one of the boats! I have zero interest in racing, although being a Scot and reading @zoidberg 's description of what happens at the bar that might encourage me to consider VMG.

There is some history behind my disinterest in racing:
  • My first club race where the skipper bawled at the crew for three hours. I never sailed on a racing boat since that day.
  • A passage from the Exe to Falmouth with an ex-racing skipper, Fastnet - that sort of thing, who spent every eight nanoseconds tweaking sails. The only time I have considered leaving a boat and getting the train home.

zoidberg

Visit site
I have a feeling that, with two or more Scottinese in a race under the Number One Mark Orr Offshore Racing Rule, the Aib'rdonian would be 'sandbagging' to get there some time after the pub shuts.

One notices that in the lists of Jester challengers', those with boats OVER 30' have asterisks appended to their names. The inference is that those well-heeled types should 'get them in again' twice....

pandos

Visit site
For the record, I have no interest in racing either, although I enjoyed crewing on a racing boat for a few years.

My particular source of joy being to keep the main on that little bit too long...as the helm screamed spill..spill.and thereafter he would apologize for shouting.??

That custom in the bar sounds good.

Those with asterics may have spent all of their cash on the boat..?

zoidberg

Visit site
I have grumbled for some years about the 30 foot rule as I am 33 foot in old money. Perhaps the Jester Bitbigger class should set off an hour after the Jester?

People with Big Fat Boats have been grumbling for years. They are already handicapped by all that extra weight, all that extra wetted area, all those extra fat berths and berth cushions, fat batteries for the entertainment systems, large and heavy duplicated cooking pots for all the crew that aren't there, his-and-her PortaPottis, spare sets of big fat foulies, multiple LSJs, multiseat liferafts, stern gantries with more posh electronics than a 'Daring' Class, and enough bottles of 'good cheer' to grace a battleship's wardroom....

Such beefy boats are indicated with an *asterisk for good reason. I've heard them called 'FT's, or 'Fellow Travellers'. Perhaps we might find room for a Mini-FT Class and a Maxi-FT Class..... although as long as they all stand their round and pay their doubled dues in good time, I don't really care....
....for in the last analysis, it's simply me and my boat against ( together with? ) the sea.

'One man, one boat, the sea.'

Isn't that the spirit of Jestering?

Last edited:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
In the JAC21 the person with the 34' boat paid for lunch on our free tour of the island. And you have never tasted beef as good as we had with a traditional Terceiran meal normally provided for weddings, funerals, christenings and confirmations. My mouth is watering. So as a result of providing lunch he is allowed to have 5 asterisks after his boat name. Pippin*****.

Daydream believer

Visit site
This talk of non racing reminds me of a talk I gave at our sailing club a few years ago. It was to get all the sailors ( 17 of them) together to discuss our first cruise to Boulogne. None of them had done this before so I spoke about all the details I had arranged & the passage plan etc.
At the end they clapped & I finished up by saying " I hope you all stay safe - & just remember, this is cruise in company, IT IS NOT A RACE,,,,,,,,,,,& quietly-- But I am going to get there first"
The number of times the " it is not a race" phrase comes up is amazing. especially from those who do not arrive first. There is some competition, because some sneak off in the dark, earlier than they are supposed to to get a head start. But it is still fun