Jobs on cruise ships

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

She's had her applications ready for some time. She was 21 yesterday and pressed the button last night.

She understands that British employment law won't apply but doesn't know 'good' companies from 'bad'

I think it's a great thing for her do do but being a father want to ensure she doesn't make a mistake.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I think it will vary greatly depending on which cruise line she goes with but likely if she is in the franchise/commissary type job she won't actually be employed by the cruise line but the company that 'owns' the shop.

Some companies will expect her to pay for her stcw95 training, some want a bond, some won't. Some will even try to charge her for working... this tends to be more the service jobs like hairdressers/massage/spas.

She is pretty much guaranteed to have to share a cabin with at least one other person - great if you get alone and it won't be anything remotely luxurious.

BUT that said it'll be what she makes it and will likely get to see some interesting places - and a chance that she'll not get the opportunity to repeat after she settles down ;)

W.

Archiee

www.brittanysail.com
The life on board is not for everybody, and the turnover on cruise ships is high and the cruise lines want to be certain of your willingness to start a career with them.

cryan

www.cryco.co.uk
Shoppies usually work for contract companies that run the shops and salons. Usually awful pay but quite often they get plenty time off to get up the road in port. Stay away from anything other than the top tier companies such as Carnival group (P&O/Cunard) or RCI (Royal Caribbean). Some of the safety practice on the cheaper ships is scary. I don't have a daughter but if I did I wouldn't want her working as crew(rating) on a cruise ship. She should perhaps look into the purser officer side of things that way she would eat and drink in the Officers Saloon/Wardroom. The Crew (Ratings)bar can be less than reputable.

fisherman

Visit site
My mate and his wife went as boat drivers, ferrying folk ashore, had a good time and was expected to eat with the passengers. Both YM which helps I expect.

cryan

www.cryco.co.uk
My mate and his wife went as boat drivers, ferrying folk ashore, had a good time and was expected to eat with the passengers. Both YM which helps I expect.

It is usually the deck crowd who run the tenders. (Well on P&O ships anyway) You need to have a CPSC ticket (Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft)
As an officer we were expected to host a punter table at dinner every few cruises. It can be great if its a good crowd but sometimes it can be a REAL hassle.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Things changed a bit since I first posted;

She couldn't make the interview last time but the company kept her CV and application. She re-applied and have just called her to offer her an interview in the next couple of weeks, which is handy as her company has just gone into liquidation. She's trying very hard not to get excited!

The firm is 'Howard Bros', I think. Anyone heard of them?

Any suggestions on what line to take at the interview or things not to say?