'Jester's Great Circle route

oldbilbo

Visit site
It's well enough known that Trevor Leek, a hugely experienced single-hander, has a mind of his own when it comes to decisions on where to go and how to go about it. He is equipped with 'adequate comms', and his practices are four-square in the best traditions of 'Jestering'. Indeed, he's probably the epitome of such.

We will watch with interest....

oldbilbo

Visit site
Because of comment and communications elsewhere....

...and FWIW

Jester and Trevor Leek
Skipper: Trevor Leek
http://www.jesterinfo.org/trevorleek.html

Born 1951, I will be 65 for the 2016 Jester Azores Challenge.

I started sailing when I was about 26 after being inspired by Mike Richey, Blondie Hasler, Jester, Alec Rose and Robin Knox-Johnson.
Competed in:
1991 AZAB - single-handed in Corkscrew a 28' Twister
1992 Single-handed Transatlantic Race in Corkscrew
1993 Round Britain & Ireland Race two-handed in Corkscrew
1994 Two-handed Transatlantic Race in Mollymawk a 40' trimaran
1995 AZAB - single-handed in Mollymawk
1996 Single-handed Transatlantic Race in Mollymawk
2006 Jester Challenge
2008 Jester Azores Challenge
2010 Jester Challenge
2012 Jester Azores Challenge
2016 Jester Azores Challenge

I suspect there's not a more experienced blue-water singlehander out there.... or in here.

Last edited:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Maybe Trevor is trying to break Guy Waites and Red Admiral's record for the longest crossing. Guy was 415 days in 2011 if I remember correctly. If Trevor does arrive in Newport that should put him at 720 days + since the start of the 2014 Jester Challenge.

For those who wish to be technically correct it is not possible to do a Great Circle between Plymouth and Newport as Newfoundland gets in the way. A small diversion over the Grand Banks achieves as close as possible to the Great Circle.

oldbilbo

Visit site
....it is not possible to do a Great Circle between Plymouth and Newport as Newfoundland gets in the way. A small diversion over the Grand Banks achieves as close as possible to the Great Circle.

Acknowledged.

'Composite' or 'Modified' Great Circle Track

It has long been prudent navigational practice to avoid areas of known hazard by splitting a long ocean passage into segments such that one bypasses those areas at a safe distance - more often than not by sailing/steaming along a chosen parallel of latitude for a specific distance, then resuming Great Circle navigation to the destination - as in this pic from the website for the recent Transat Bakerly.

tb1_zpsmckn2nyz.jpg

In this example, a Great Circle Track may be followed from Plymouth to N41°30' W48°30, then skirting the Iceberg Exclusion Area until N41°30' W50°30, then another Great Circle Track to New York..

A singlehanded Jester, heading that way, might follow a Great Circle Track from Plymouth to N40° W40°, then along the 40° Parallel to W55°, then direct to destination.... thereby avoiding even more of the persistant freezing fog further north, and the shallows of the Grand Banks with their concentrations of trawlers.

oldbilbo

Visit site
It's now evident that Trevor Leek in 'Jester' is heading south towards Terceira. With about 300nm to go, it's looking like the old dog has evaded most of the heavy weather which has 'pasted' the others.

oldbilbo

Visit site
"Just to dispel some of the speculation, and to save Norm unnecessarily cooling down extra stocks of Samuel Adam’s best beer this year, I thought I would mention the background to Trevor’s roundabout route to the Azores in JESTER.

As we know, usually Trevor sails JESTER “silent and deep” without outside communication. But this year, as I had airtime left on my Iridium satphone after retiring from the JAC, I lent the phone to Trevor. This has enabled him to send a daily position report to Sandra and also to receive weather information from me by text message.

Exceptionally this year, instead of an “Azores high” we have what seems to be an almost permanent “ Azores low”. The direct route from UK to the Azores is hard on the wind all the way, as the Jester boats now in Terceira know only too well, and not ideal for junk rig.

So the routing plan has been for JESTER to head west along latitude 50N keeping north of this “ Azores low” and thus in easterly winds. Rolly but good progress can be made with junk rig in this situation. Then around 25-30W head SW then S to take advantage of predominantly W winds on the far side of the “ Azores low”. Generally this plan seems to be going reasonably well though Trevor is due to have strong W winds and warm and cold fronts from the remains of TS COLIN late Thursday. But as he is well west, he has scope to avoid close hauled and should make good progress S down to the Azores in the westerly airstream that will follow for several days after Thursday...."

And from Julien Pipat...

Time to go back !

On part ce matin a 4 bateaux, retour England, France...
12/13 jours j'espere...
Bises à tous
Julien

Courtoisie translation :
Four boats are leeving Praia today for France and Great Britain. Estimate time of travel 12 or 13 days.
Regards
Julien

sarabande

Visit site
it will be interesting to find out the effect of having comms has had on TL's voyage this year. Not only for the benefits it has had on his tactical routing, but also on his and family's peace of mind.

I hope he gets a good reception on arrival.