Jester Baltimore Challenge 2021?

Cian

Visit site
Hello folks,
I really hope to join in the Jester Baltimore Challenge this June. I'll be starting from Ireland so the plan is a round trip, starting in just under 3 months time. Of course, "best laid plans" and all that.

From an Irish regulations point of view, one issue that may arise is that of PCR tests prior to departure. Here in Ireland, the government are (very slowly) introducing quarantine legislation which means that anyone arriving into the country must present a negative PCR test from within 3 days of departure. Failure to do so will result in a two week, compulsory stay in a government mandated hotel, at your own expense. [For what it's worth, when arriving into Ireland from the UK last June, we were met by a Navy Patrol vessel and the Gardaí, so they keep an eye out!]

With this in mind, I think I'll be trying to find somewhere in Plymouth to take a PCR Covid test a day or two before the official start. From those in the know, is there anywhere local they'd recommend?

Also, are there similar requirements in the UK?

I know things may be different by summer but Ireland have been so slow at introducing this legislation I think it'll probably still be around come June.

pandos

Visit site
Hello folks,
I really hope to join in the Jester Baltimore Challenge this June. I'll be starting from Ireland so the plan is a round trip, starting in just under 3 months time. Of course, "best laid plans" and all that.

From an Irish regulations point of view, one issue that may arise is that of PCR tests prior to departure. Here in Ireland, the government are (very slowly) introducing quarantine legislation which means that anyone arriving into the country must present a negative PCR test from within 3 days of departure. Failure to do so will result in a two week, compulsory stay in a government mandated hotel, at your own expense. [For what it's worth, when arriving into Ireland from the UK last June, we were met by a Navy Patrol vessel and the Gardaí, so they keep an eye out!]

With this in mind, I think I'll be trying to find somewhere in Plymouth to take a PCR Covid test a day or two before the official start. From those in the know, is there anywhere local they'd recommend?

I know things may be different by summer but Ireland have been so slow at introducing this legislation I think it'll probably still be around come June.
There's a Jester group on facebook with lots on this...the current rules are a test taken pre departure but less than 72 hours before arrival...so difficult unless you have a fast boat...

Much will depend on vaccines but I am not hopeful..I am preparing also, but resigned to not much change until later in the summer...

Cian

Visit site
Thanks Pandos. I wasn't aware of the Facebook group (although I'm not on Facebook anyway).

I guess we'll just wait, hope and see!

Sandy

Visit site
Hello Cian

This website might help

How to get a coronavirus (COVID-19) test in Devon

Not sure if they will test non-UK nationals?

Can you point me in the direction of the Irish travel website. I'm not participating in Jester but would like to know if I can anchor off in a bay or enter a marina and not get off the weather turns and not get trapped with a 14 day guarantee.

Thanks

Sandy

pandos

Visit site
There is an exception for people remaining in ports and airports whilst in transit...

In reality common sense operates at a local level over here.

Social interaction ashore is not likely to be acceptable in June, even with a test result unless things change, but if you come into an anchorage whilst waiting out weather and keep to yourself I doubt you should have a problem.

Last year I was in a port and two Brits arrived in a sailboat. The harbour master agreed that they should simply keep to themselves and remain on their boat or on the pontoon and not to go into the town. (His staff went shopping for them)

eebygum

Visit site
Hello folks,

Hi Cian,
Things have moved on with the organisation of this years JC since your original posting.

Yesterday there was an update from the non-organising, non-committee for the JC; a very brief extract summary is ....
“ for 2021 a one-off Jester Fastnet Challenge! A c.500 mile nautical jaunt.... starting June 13th. This could be sailed in four possible combinations:
1.Plymouth/Fastnet/Plymouth
2. Plymouth/Fastnet/Pwllheli 3.Pwllheli/Fastnet/Pwllheli 4.Pwllheli/Fastnet/Plymouth”

Choose the route of your choice.

For the full update refer to the Jester Wordpress site:

Jester Challenge

zoidberg

Visit site
Well, I'm starting out in Ireland. But I'd sail to England for a nice pint!

Yes. Perhaps we could meet up about halfway?

Here...?

44585068302_69d3fe7f62_z.jpg

44635093101_5cb28ecc40_z.jpg

pandos

Visit site
Hi Cian,
Things have moved on with the organisation of this years JC since your original posting.

Yesterday there was an update from the non-organising, non-committee for the JC; a very brief extract summary is ....
“ for 2021 a one-off Jester Fastnet Challenge! A c.500 mile nautical jaunt.... starting June 13th. This could be sailed in four possible combinations:
1.Plymouth/Fastnet/Plymouth
2. Plymouth/Fastnet/Pwllheli 3.Pwllheli/Fastnet/Pwllheli 4.Pwllheli/Fastnet/Plymouth”

Choose the route of your choice.

For the full update refer to the Jester Wordpress site:

Jester Challenge
The JFC is considered a fallback, so JBC and JAC are not cancelled, just uncertain.

zoidberg

Visit site
I'd still rather sail to West Cork for an evening of 'The Black Stuff' - rain, hail or shine.... :ROFLMAO:

This from today's Times quotes Portugal's Tourism Minister "Speaking after the European Union unveiled plans for a vaccine passport scheme to reboot travel this summer, Rita Marques, the tourism minister, said there would be a “very straightforward and simple process” for presenting the Portuguese with a “kind of certificate” to prove vaccination."
That sounds a little hopeful re the JAC, but end-June is still a long way off.

zoidberg

Visit site
Someone has queried the sailing club at Baltimore re 'changing attitudes locally' and this has been posted...

Update ref Baltimore Pirate Festival.
Fellow Jesters - I got in touch with the organisers of the Baltimore Pirate Festival earlier this year ( "Baltimore and The Islands Pirate Festival 2021" on FBMN) and asked them to keep me posted on the status of the event this year.
Sadly I received the following message from them yesterday:
"Hi David, sadly everything has been cancelled due to Covid restrictions. No gatherings of any kind this summer.
?
"

I'm not sure if that means we can't anchor, moor or tie up in Baltimore, but it looks like Skippers dinner in pirate costume is off the agenda. JFC is looking like a wise option.
Jester Helm ?

Pigpen

Visit site
Hi Guys
You will, of course, have now read about the Jester 51/8. As I am a member of the Cardiff Bay YC, Howard has asked
me to be the local disorganiser for anyone considering a Cardiff start - just to start the ball rolling, so to speak.
I'm the servant of Jekeeda2 on Mike hammerhead and you might see me buzzing about on my e-trike.
I am here and on the BC forum, mobile on 07801 945070 and ruskman@outlook.com.
Not quite sure what we might do for a skippers dinner, if there is any support for huddling under canvas. Our marquee
almost blew away last weekend!
Looking at tides we night have to ask for an early start or we might just make it to Barry Roads to anchor over the flood.
I'll tell Howard where we are.
Doug Pingel